PDA

View Full Version : Ever want to make a T-shirt with your laser? Here's a new product that works great!

Larry Bratton
06-09-2011, 4:45 PM
Did you ever want to make a T-shirt or imprint a garment with your laser? Looked for products to do it with, just to find out there wasn't a lot out there that would work? Even if you used some of the films that are out there, they were hard to work with and felt like a decal stuck on the shirt? Well here's the answer. Stahls Cad-Cut Premium Plus. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCiKo4TlRew Oh, by the way..NO PVC in the product

I cut the letters on a shirt on my Epilog 40 at 8p/90s/450f. This stuff weeds very easy. When it applied to a cotton or 50/50 shirt it feels as good as screen printing, maybe even better. It has no feel at all, almost like dye sub on polyester. It took a total of about 2 minutes to cut it on the laser and weed it out. It takes 8 seconds in the heat press at 300 degrees. They have like 40 colors. The price is the best part, it's about 30-35% cheaper than any of the other film products out there. (I'll post a photo when I get it done) Oh, and I forgot to say, you can buy it in 15" x 20" sheets as well as rolls to do just a few shirts or other things with it. I am thinking it would be great for monograms on various fabric items, table cloths, napkins etc. You can also stack colors to make multicolored designs.

Bren Kano
06-09-2011, 5:11 PM
Looks like a great product for small runs.

Martin Boekers
06-09-2011, 7:33 PM
Actually this might be another way to dress up plaques and acrylics
since heat is low and press time quick.

Gets me thinking...

Thanks for posting!

Two great posts today this one and the sponges! YeHa!

Larry Bratton
06-09-2011, 7:57 PM
Actually this might be another way to dress up plaques and acrylics
since heat is low and press time quick.

Gets me thinking...

Thanks for posting!

Two great posts today this one and the sponges! YeHa!

Marty, not sure if it will stick to hard stuff. Guess I could give it a test. I'll check it out tomorrow when I start up the press again. (but you can add another product to your offering by putting it on fabric. I saw those napkins you did with sublimation. This would be perfect for things for weddings and the like. )

Christine Mantz
06-16-2011, 4:23 PM
Hey Larry
Well I tried to cut the Premium Plus on my laser and could not get it to cut nice smooth lines. My edges look perforated...no matter what I do. I tried to up the power/speed to the max and I trie to cut it low power/low speed. I played with my PPI setting all the way from 150 to 1000. Nothing seemed to do the trick. I am cutting with a Universal 30 watt. I think it is about time to get my tube recharged.

(PS I am having the same issue cutting the oil board especially when cutting small diameter circles)

Christine Mantz
Identity Elements

Larry Bratton
06-16-2011, 7:05 PM
Hey Larry
Well I tried to cut the Premium Plus on my laser and could not get it to cut nice smooth lines. My edges look perforated...no matter what I do. I tried to up the power/speed to the max and I trie to cut it low power/low speed. I played with my PPI setting all the way from 150 to 1000. Nothing seemed to do the trick. I am cutting with a Universal 30 watt. I think it is about time to get my tube recharged.

(PS I am having the same issue cutting the oil board especially when cutting small diameter circles)

Christine Mantz
Identity Elements

May be Chris. Mine cut like a top with the settings I published. When your getting perforations like that it sounds as if your frequency (PPI) is wayyy too low, but it you tried it at a 1000 I would guess something else could be your problem. I cut it at 8p/90s/450f. I would suspect 150 would be too low.

Pete Bejmuk
06-16-2011, 8:24 PM
can these be applied to clothing with a normal home clothes iron? I wouldn't mind having a little of this on hand for use with the laser if I can just use the iron from home.

Mike Null
06-16-2011, 10:27 PM
Pete

Check the Stahl's site but I don't believe they can be applied with an iron.

Larry Bratton
06-17-2011, 7:54 AM
can these be applied to clothing with a normal home clothes iron? I wouldn't mind having a little of this on hand for use with the laser if I can just use the iron from home.

No, a heat press is required. You press it at 300f for 8 seconds with a setting of 6 on Hotronix. That's medium to heavy pressure.