PDA

View Full Version : Need to cool off my garage/woodworking space

Michael Miller50
06-09-2011, 4:24 PM
I need recommendations. I have a one car garage (small) that I do my woodworking in. I don't have any windows so window ac is out. not big enough for central, so i guess i need a portable ac or a swamp cooler Does anyone have any experience with New Air? I was looking at the 12000E. i saw it in popular science magazine please tell me what you use. Portable Air Conditioner
(http://www.air-n-water.com/AC-recommended.html)

Derek Gilmer
06-09-2011, 5:22 PM
Swamp coolers would be a bad idea. They'll blow water/very humid air over all your tools.

Jay Runde
06-10-2011, 1:16 AM
I use a swamp cooler in my garage shop. I don't have an issue with rust as we are usually in the 10-15% range for relative humidity during the summer, and I only turn it on when I am going to be in the shop.

Scott T Smith
06-10-2011, 9:04 AM
Michael, if it were me I would stay away from the swamp cooler, and use either a mini-split system or simply cut an opening in the wall and frame it out for a permanent mount for a window AC.

The window AC is your most economical option, and framing the opening should be relatively easy.

Bobby O'Neal
06-10-2011, 10:22 AM
I could be wrong, but don't most portable AC units require an exterior exhaust anyway? My dad had a Samsung unit in the upstairs office of his shop. It did an awesome job, very cold air. But it did have an exhaust going out the window. Just something to consider.

Roger Russell
06-10-2011, 12:35 PM
I've used a 10,000 btu unit similiar to the New Air for several years now. It works but is a tad undersized for my two-car garage/shop. These types of units have to be vented outside. The exhaust is hot! Make sure you get one that the filter is easy to change, sawdust can choke these up pretty fast. Try to get one locally, these are heavy and the shipping cost can kill you. HD sells them around here.
Also if you live in a dry climate don't dismiss swamp coolers. They can move a lot more air for the money. The dryer the air the better they work.

Roger (my state is dryer in more ways than one)