PDA

View Full Version : Amazon shipping

Dave Lehnert
06-09-2011, 4:19 PM
Have not ordered from Amazon for some time. Ordered two books and a few trinkets.
Thought it was odd my package was shipped and being delivered by a local deliver service that generally does same day door to door delivery by van. Was always FedEx, UPS or USPS before.
Anyone seen this before?

Ken Fitzgerald
06-09-2011, 4:23 PM
Dave, Did the books and trinkets source locally?

Matt Meiser
06-09-2011, 4:28 PM
They have a huge distribution center in Lexington, KY Perhaps they are doing enough deliveries in the region to cut out UPS?

Paul Symchych
06-09-2011, 4:40 PM
I recently had a gift of books arrive in a small truck with no markings [that I saw]. Not UPS or FEDEX. This came a day after order so it must have been locally sourced. Maybe there is a distribution center in the Phoenix area.

Jeremy Milam
06-09-2011, 5:04 PM
Order somewhat regularly, always arive UPS or USPS via FexEd first. That's usually slowed, FedEx delivers to post office that then delivers the next day. Don't understand why they can't make it the 1.5 miles from post office here, instead of having to wait a day:( I guess that's what free shipping gets you, and I'm fine with it:)

Dave Lehnert
06-09-2011, 5:09 PM
Always comes out of Ky but this time from Indiana.
This was free shipping and not next day etc....
I don't care how it is shipped, just so I get it in good condition.

Victor Robinson
06-09-2011, 5:52 PM
In my area (San Francisco), they occasionally ship via a smaller local shipper called Caltrac. It really depends on which warehouse my items are coming from. Like anyone else, Amazon is trying to minimize costs. If they can find a local delivery service in your area and contract with them to save a bit, they will. Now that being said, if the smaller company isn't doing a good job, it's worth letting Amz know. Caltrac continuously had problems getting into my building at work, which fedex and UPS deliver hundreds of packages to daily. I requested AMZ not ship via Caltrac to that address after they goofed twice on delivery.

Jim O'Dell
06-09-2011, 7:26 PM
Two of my recent computer parts deliveries were FedEx Smartpost. USPS does the final delivery. I too don't understand how this saves them anything, but maybe USPS is offering a much reduced rate just to have something since their drivers are out anyway. Any added business will help them, and therefore us. It does add a day or two to the delivery, but what chaps me the most is the tracking is always off by 4 or 5 days. Jim.

Larry Frank
06-09-2011, 9:40 PM
I have had the same thing recently with a small delivery company and it looked like the person was using a personal car. I buy quite a bit from Amazon and use the Amazon Prime with 2 day free shipping. I really do not care who delivers it as long as it get to me in good shape and on time.

Greg R Bradley
06-09-2011, 11:36 PM
From selling stuff through Amazon I know that if they are stocking a common item in quantity, they will stock it in 20 warehouses so that they can deliver to all US addresses the next day. Many items purchased are going THROUGH Amazon and the order goes to a seller that fulfills the order. Then the vender chooses whoever they choose and ships from their warehouse.

John Christian
06-10-2011, 8:13 AM
I recently bought a watch through Amazon. Let me say that if you wait for a delivery from them in Canada you'll not complain about the delivery waits in the US. Two WEEKS. The final stage of delivery was through Canada Post.

Phil Thien
06-10-2011, 8:26 AM
I was under the impression the last leg of the delivery was where the shipping cost was. So Amazon was basically shipping large packages full of smaller packages to places like local couriers, where they were individually delivered for less than what UPS/FedEx would charge for the entire trip.