PDA

View Full Version : Wood Identification Resources

Steve Friedman
06-09-2011, 3:51 PM
I am always impressed by folks who can look at a some boards, a log, or a piece of furniture and instantly tell what kind of wood it is. I was born in the Bronx (NYC) and don't think I have enough years left to develop that knowledge, so I wonder if anyone knows of any good pocket reference guides (color pictures would be nice).

I have flipped through "Identifying Wood" by R. Bruce Hoadley, but put it back when I saw that I needed a microscope and slides. I only want it for three things:

1. To sound semi-literate - and not be laughed at - when shopping at the saw mills (I'll leave the book in the car)
2. To be able to identify logs lying on the side of the road before hopping out and picking them up
3. To be able to identify the wood in old pieces of furniture.

Thanks in advance,

Steve

Conrad Fiore
06-09-2011, 4:34 PM
Steve, let me help you out with #2. Get yourself a field guide to trees of North America and get out in the woods. Get to know your local trees, maples, oaks and cherries. After you get them knocked, start on some of the others. Now is a great time to identify trees because the leaves are present. You've missed out on the blooms, but that's not too big a deal. After using the leaves, which is probably the easiest way of identifying a tree species, take special note of the bark and branches so you will be able to identify most trees when it has no leaves to use as a guide. My sister lives in Pennington, so I know there are plenty of trees around town you can practice on.
#1 & #3 go hand in hand. But as far as identification goes, it's all practice, just like with the trees. One thing that will help is if you divide the wood types into two categories, open and closed grains. That will at least narrow down the field quite a bit when learning the different species.

Steve Friedman
06-09-2011, 5:32 PM
Thanks Conrad.

Actually my neighborhood was built on an old nursery, so I'll have lots to practice on.

Steve

Dennis Meek
06-15-2011, 3:19 AM
Steve: Amazon sells an incredible book entitled, The Woodbook, by Romeyn Beck Hough. It was first printed in the late 1800's early 1900's. It contains woods found in the United States and some exotic hardwoods. The book is a faithful reproduction of the original book produced by Hough. For every tree identified there is a corresponding page that show three samples of the wood: a transverse section; a radial section and: tangential section. Each section is a color photograph and the photography is incredible. The original book was published with three actual wood samples for each tree. The book comes in two prices. The one I purchased was $26.39 and it is a faithful reproduction of the original. The other book you can purchase, comes with all page backgrounds in black and lettering in gold, and it sells for $224, and comes in a wooden box. The $26 book is everything the $224 book is plus it comes in a hardboard slide-in container and it's easier to read with black type on white pages. Amazon carries both copy's and has three copies of the $26 book left. It is the most incredible wood identification book that I have ever come across. I bought one for my twin brother also.

Steve Friedman
06-15-2011, 8:34 AM
Steve: Amazon sells an incredible book entitled, The Woodbook, by Romeyn Beck Hough. It was first printed in the late 1800's early 1900's. It contains woods found in the United States and some exotic hardwoods. The book is a faithful reproduction of the original book produced by Hough. For every tree identified there is a corresponding page that show three samples of the wood: a transverse section; a radial section and: tangential section. Each section is a color photograph and the photography is incredible. The original book was published with three actual wood samples for each tree. The book comes in two prices. The one I purchased was $26.39 and it is a faithful reproduction of the original. The other book you can purchase, comes with all page backgrounds in black and lettering in gold, and it sells for $224, and comes in a wooden box. The $26 book is everything the $224 book is plus it comes in a hardboard slide-in container and it's easier to read with black type on white pages. Amazon carries both copy's and has three copies of the $26 book left. It is the most incredible wood identification book that I have ever come across. I bought one for my twin brother also.

Dennis, Thanks. Perfect. I think I'll stick with the $25 version, although the expensive one looks really nice. Is the book really 6 pounds?

Steve

Jerome Hanby
06-15-2011, 8:46 AM
Not commenting about anyone here, but some folks are just full of it and spout whatever nonsense pops into their heads. My wife's sister's hubby was regaling me stories about his cache of rare blonde walnut. Turns out what he had was a lot of sap wood...

Which is too bad, I think butternut is sometimes called blonde walnut and it would have been nice to have that (he now has some medical issues and my wife is bringing home his stash in a few weeks).

Brian Tymchak
06-15-2011, 8:55 AM
I don't have pocket references but I do have a few online references.

I recently came across this Tree identification key (http://www.uwsp.edu/cnr/leaf/Treekey/tkframe.htm) that is simple to use. Depends heavily on having the tree leaves.

If I just have the lumber itself to id, I sometimes refer to HobbitHouse Wood Id (http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/) to find similar looking samples. You can just browse around there to start familiarizing yourself with the basics, oak, walnut, maple, cherry.

Dennis Meek
06-15-2011, 8:27 PM
Yes, it does weigh 6 pounds. I have the $25 version and it's exactly the same as the $224 version. I know that you will enjoy it.

Steve Friedman
06-15-2011, 8:58 PM
I don't have pocket references but I do have a few online references.

I recently came across this Tree identification key (http://www.uwsp.edu/cnr/leaf/Treekey/tkframe.htm) that is simple to use. Depends heavily on having the tree leaves.

If I just have the lumber itself to id, I sometimes refer to HobbitHouse Wood Id (http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/) to find similar looking samples. You can just browse around there to start familiarizing yourself with the basics, oak, walnut, maple, cherry.

Excellent! Thanks.

Cody Colston
06-15-2011, 11:35 PM
That Hobbit House wood ID site is one of the best I've found. http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/

I also agree with Jerome that when those "help me identify this wood" threads come up, some of the guesses are nothing short of ridiculous.

Dan Hintz
06-16-2011, 7:48 AM
Steve: Amazon sells an incredible book entitled, The Woodbook, by Romeyn Beck Hough.
Thanks, Dennis... ordered... $30 shipped :)

Joe Angrisani
06-16-2011, 8:25 AM
Steve: Amazon sells an incredible book entitled, The Woodbook, by Romeyn Beck Hough.....

Thanks, Dennis... ordered... $26.39 shipped :)

Only 1 copy left at Amazon.

Brian Tymchak
06-16-2011, 9:46 AM
Thanks, Dennis... ordered... $26.39 shipped :)

Only 1 copy left at Amazon.

Think I got the last one. Appreciate the tip Dennis!

Joe Angrisani
06-16-2011, 12:17 PM
And now, two and a half hours after Brian, Amazon says "only 8 in stock". Yet another scam uncovered....

At least the price is the same.