PDA

View Full Version : Why I love this place...

Dale Coons
06-09-2011, 3:39 PM
Some of you have seen this piece a couple of times...hopefully it looks a lot different than the last time you saw it. Quite a few of you have critiqued this along the way--and that is why this site is so great. The first pic is what I initially posted. David D (we will not spell the name incorrectly!) added some lines to help 'a la Steve Shlumpf' which helped a lot, then David Keller suggested an upturn at the top and a small roundover at
197410 197405

the bottom. John Hart noticed it was getting too straight, I tried to add a little more curve to it. Others have made great comments (thanks as well!), and helped with the finish which was giving me fits. I thought it wanted a little lid, so I added that later. The last few pics are what it looks like now. How did I do incorporating the suggestions?

Oh! Pecan from a tree that had to come down at Grandpa's house- 7 3/4 inches tall with the lid, close to 4 inches across at the shoulder

Critiques and comments welcome--this is my second form (the first was in a class), I can always make the next one a little better!

Dale.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/misc/pencil.png

Roger Chandler
06-09-2011, 3:58 PM
That one is real sharp there Dale.........I like your form and the lid is good............love the wood and the finish...........I think that is really nice!

David E Keller
06-09-2011, 3:59 PM
I think it looks great, Dale! It's a great looking piece of wood, too. Lids and finials are so personalized that I'll skip over that... You just have to figure out what you like. The only thing I might change would be to round over/radius that edge at the bottom of the form... It'll give the piece some visual lift. I struggle with that sometimes, and I find that I need to add more curve than I think is right. Nicely done, sir!

Steve Schlumpf
06-09-2011, 5:11 PM
Dale - you done good! Pretty wood and I really like how you managed to make a lid such that the grain matched! Now that is a classy touch!

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with for your next form! Nice work!

John Keeton
06-09-2011, 5:20 PM
You have arrived!!! Excellent work on this one. The wood and finish are fantastic and I am looking forward to the next one. You have learned much on this one, and the sky is the limit!

Jim Burr
06-09-2011, 5:22 PM
Unlike RC, I'm not qualified to speak on lids and finials..The vase is great. Add some curve/radius to the base...imagine "plop"...and you have a great chunk of wood there sir! As an idea, make another one with a small opening and ease the curve to the opening. I did a similar piece while back and make a big operator error with the opening! Good start...keep it up!

Jim Underwood
06-09-2011, 5:44 PM
Well done. I like it.

Faust M. Ruggiero
06-09-2011, 6:09 PM
We see lots of finials turned as hollow form lids but few turned from the same piece of wood as the bowl. I think the matching grain of the bowl through the lid and finial is unique and quite beautiful. A wonderful design and execution.
faust

Dennis Ford
06-09-2011, 6:14 PM
This is a very nice hollow form, you should be proud of it just like it is.

Dale Coons
06-10-2011, 10:10 AM
Thanks for your comments everybody!

David K--I think I see what you mean, I might try putting this back in a donut chuck and easing the foot over a bit more. I did actually round it over, but it's so small it doesn't really create that illusion of floating.

Jim--I wish I had more of this but don't. The tree came down because of termite damage--I think it had been sitting there dead for a while. My daughter and SIL brought me a couple of pieces on a visit a while back. I have a couple of small bowl sized blanks left--this form was a bit of a crap shoot as the pith ran right down the core--and amazingly there were no termite holes in it. The bowls have all had a few nice 'character' holes.

cal thelen
06-10-2011, 10:18 AM
Wow! thats Really nice. Love the wood beautiful.

Bernie Weishapl
06-10-2011, 10:21 AM
You did well and looks like you learned a lot. The form turned out well and I like the added touch of the lid and body grain match. Very nice.

Scott Hackler
06-10-2011, 10:49 AM
Very nice work. I LOVE that wood. :)

Trevor Howard
06-10-2011, 12:45 PM
I cannot say anything on form, but I do like the wood and the grain matched lid. You should be proud of this.