PDA

View Full Version : DeWalt788L Scroll Saw

W.C. Turner
04-17-2003, 7:34 PM
Hi,

I was gonna setup my DW788L saw, when I read that the instructions recommended that you bolt it to the floor.

All of you DW788L owners, did you bolt it to the floor, or not? I didn't know the leg stand was gonna be that flimsy.

Thanks,

Bob Reilly
04-17-2003, 8:10 PM
I have the 3 leg setup and it's not bolted to the floor.

Howard Norman
04-17-2003, 11:30 PM
I don't know the significance of the L after the 788 but I assume that it is a minor varient on the 788. That being said I have a 788R(reconditioned) on the three leg stand that is not bolted to the floor and I have never seen any reason to consider bolting it to the floor.

Howard

W.C. Turner
04-18-2003, 12:23 AM
Howard:
It's my understanding that the "L" represents the leg stand.

That's good to hear, as I didn't want to try to bolt it to the concrete floor!

Bob and Howard: So, this leg stand must be reasonably stable, HUH? What about any vibration, I forgot to mention that?

Thanks again for replying.

Howard Norman
04-18-2003, 12:40 AM
Vibration has not been a problem for me. I have cut 1/2"+ white oak on the saw with no problems

Howard

Diane Maluso
04-18-2003, 7:41 AM
I've got the same saw on the same 3 legs and for the work I do, no bolting down is necessary. On the other hand, if I used the saw a lot and for thicker woods, I might like to have it secured. Mine doesn't get a lot of use.

Diane

Lee Lamb
04-18-2003, 9:34 AM
I mounted my three legged stand on locking casters and experience no problems whatever. I can tuck it away when it is not in use. I routinely cut through mortises in 3/4 and 4/4 oak with it.

Go to mikesworkshop.com to learn about and buy Flying Dutchman blades. Mike has great prices and will even send you a couple of free samples.

Go to scrollsaws.com to find out more about setting up your saw. Rick has a ton of good information about blade selection and saw maintenance.

Try woodwirtz.com to see Robin's beautiful "Summer Dreams", a true masterpiece.

Good luck

Lee

W.C. Turner
04-18-2003, 11:21 AM
Lee,

Thanks for the additional info!

I wouldn't have thought of cutting mortises with it. I suppose you just thread the blade thru a drill hole, like any inside cut?

Thanks again.

Peter Stahl
04-18-2003, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by W.C. Turner
Hi,

I was gonna setup my DW788L saw, when I read that the instructions recommended that you bolt it to the floor.

All of you DW788L owners, did you bolt it to the floor, or not? I didn't know the leg stand was gonna be that flimsy.

Thanks,

I haven't used mine a lot but I don't have it bolted to the floor or see need to. Use a good blade and don't push it to hard you should be fine. Also I didn't think the legs were that flimsy.

Pete

Lee Lamb
04-18-2003, 2:20 PM
W.C.

Yes. I just lay out the mortise with a combination square and a pencil, drill a hole and feed the blade through from the bottom.

Have fun with it.

Lee