PDA

View Full Version : Slowing a high speed grinder. How is it done?

Harvey Ghesser
06-09-2011, 10:03 AM
I have a Baldor high speed grinder. Does anyone know if there is a simple way to slow it down?:confused:

Jim Heikes
06-09-2011, 11:24 AM
You could use a variac (transformer) but the price of the variac goes up with amperage

Scott Hackler
06-09-2011, 11:48 AM
Harvey, the only way I can think of (cheaply) is to set up a ceiling fan dimmer "in line" of the electrical supply. BUT that dimmer would get darn hot when you turn it down....so. You will either have to buy a higher priced dimmer with a big heat sink on the back and mount it in a metal recepticle box. Poor mans method.

Jim Underwood
06-09-2011, 2:57 PM
Yup. Jack the wheels up and park a slower grinder under them.

Just kidding.

But I don't know why you'd bother though. I have a high speed grinder and it works just fine for sharpening.

What makes the biggest difference in sharpening is the wheel and the correct grind.

Michael James
06-09-2011, 5:11 PM
toggle the on/off switch. Don't shoot the messenger. I heard it, I tried it and it works for me!

Jim Burr
06-09-2011, 5:24 PM
Just push the gouge harder!;):p:D. There really is no "good" way, but as mentioned...some good fixes. May I suggest a good fan for cooling?;)

Harvey Ghesser
06-09-2011, 7:33 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions everyone! I took a look at Jim Heikes' idea of a variac control and think I'll go that route. My reason for wanting to slow down the grinder is that I plan to go with CBN wheels and all the research I've done suggests a slow speed grinder.

Again, thank you all!

Steve Campbell
06-09-2011, 9:30 PM
Harvey I have both a High speed and a low speed grinder. I get a better job of sharpening from my high speed grinder. You just don't want to use a lot of pressure.

Steve

Ed Morgano
06-09-2011, 10:32 PM
Harvey,
You really can't slow down a capacitor start motor. The reason is because there is a centrifugal switch which opens the start windings at about 75% of full speed. If you could slow the motor down below that speed, the centrifugal switch will close putting the start windings back in the circuit. They will burn up within a minute. Hope this helps.