PDA

View Full Version : Bench grinders - what's a decent one for as little money as possible?

Rich Engelhardt
06-09-2011, 6:41 AM
Since I've managed to get by for nearly 60 years w/out one, I'm not sure how much use I'd put one to!

Funds are getting real tight at this point also. I'd like to keep the cost under $100.

Jerome Hanby
06-09-2011, 8:11 AM
I paid less than that for my 8" slow speed grinder from Woodcraft. I read good things about it, but haven't had the need to set it up yet, so no first hand observations. Also got a Delta two speed 8" grinder for about half that on a Lowe's closeout. Again, no first hand yet...

Joe Angrisani
06-09-2011, 9:37 AM
.....Funds are getting real tight at this point also. I'd like to keep the cost under $100.

Craigslist, Rich.....

Frank Drew
06-09-2011, 10:10 AM
Craigslist, Rich.....

Or equivalent used source; you might not come up with anything in a reasonable time frame, but I consider it always worth looking first for good used equipment. And don't judge a grinder by a worn stone, they're easily replaced (and usually should be).

John TenEyck
06-09-2011, 10:47 AM
I also bought the slow speed grinder from Woodcraft, which came with two wide, white aluminum oxide wheels. It works fine, no complaints whatsoever, except it doesn't have a light on it. I bought it when I decided to get more serious about turning, and it does a great job grinding my fingernail bowl gauge. I also use it for bringing chisels back into form, prior to honing, etc. I considered buying used at first, but the cost of two new quality wheels is about 40% of the Woodcraft grinder, so I didn't consider that option too long.

Chris Padilla
06-09-2011, 11:16 AM
Another vote for the Woodcraft and it is often on sale in the $70-80 range.

Jerome Hanby
06-09-2011, 11:23 AM
Their grinder is a different unit than it used to be. I've heard noting fair or foul about it.

David Weaver
06-09-2011, 12:34 PM
For several years, I just used a ryobi grinder from HD - but when I bought mine, they had two-piece rests on them. Not important if you're going to sharpen turning tools, but very much so with chisels and plane irons.

I have since bought a domestic grinder, but if I had to do it again, I would probably entertain the idea of the 8" imported slow speed or two-speed grinder from whoever had it cheapest when considering the cost of decent wheels.

Neil Brooks
06-09-2011, 12:52 PM
My Craftsman is quite good, for the money.

LINK (http://www.craftsman.com/shc/s/p_10155_12602_00921124000P)

Bruce Kohl
06-09-2011, 1:05 PM
Thumbs up for the Woodcraft slow speed grinder. I've had mine for about 6 months and it does a nice job on my turning tools and rough shaping gouges and chisels. The wheels aren't too bad, and will do me a while. New wheels would run about half the cost of the grinder. I got mine on sale (they're regularly on sale) for about $90, but even at the regular price its a good deal. I sold my old Delta high speed grinder for $50, so the net cost for the slow speed was even better. I added a goose neck lamp to it that I had kicking around, and set it up with the Wolverine jig (about another $90 on sale). The slow speed is nice and makes grinding a little easier, but you still have to be very careful not to burn the tools.

Gary Hodgin
06-09-2011, 1:23 PM
I've got what I believe is the older version of the Woodcraft. It came from Woodcraft but at the time was referred to as simply a Taiwanese grinder. It's slow speed and a good grinder but I did replace the wheels and one of the tool rest. The rests were not worth a darn. I replaced one with a veritas tool rest, which sells for $49.50. The ones on the current Woodcraft may be better than the older ones.

Zahid Naqvi
06-09-2011, 5:12 PM
I have used a slow speed wet grinder from Harbor freight with great success, it's a Tormek clone. I was looking for it but couldn't find it on their site anymore, but they have a newer version with a slightly different design. It's under $80 and one heck of a grinder (for the money) once you have all the minor stuff tuned up and dialed in.

Walter Plummer
06-09-2011, 7:14 PM
I got the Woodcraft slow speed grinder. The rests that come with if are not much but works fine otherwise.

Bruce Wrenn
06-09-2011, 10:01 PM
Bench grinders are pretty much generic. All of them come with lousy tool rests. I have a $29.99 special from Lowes, that for the last 30 years has done what I needed. Of course I replaced the wheels. Sometimes Big Lots has a bench grinder (with cast iron end bells) for $19.99. Got one of those in the box in case Lowes one fails. Kids will probably sell it after my demise.