PDA

View Full Version : Glaser "jones"… (or: How Many V's Do You Really Need?)

David DeCristoforo
06-08-2011, 5:43 PM
Everyone knows what a "jones" is right? No? OK it's slang for an addiction. I'm here to confess. I have always had a "tendency" to become addicted. Not to drugs or booze or anything like that. More to things like coffee and chocolate. And tools. Yes, I have always been a sucker for fine tools. When I started turning, I cobbled together a collection of tools, most of which, while adequate, could never be called "fine". I do have a 3/8" bowl gouge and a couple of scrapers that are of very good quality.

I recently acquired a 5/8" 10V Glaser bowl gouge. I have been so impressed with this tool that I can hardly put it down. But it is the 10V gouge and I could not stop myself from wondering how much better a 15V tool would be. And the 5/8" gouge is pretty heavy duty for most of the work I do. So I ordered a 1/2" 15V gouge which not only gives me a smaller tool but also some way to compare the 10V and 15V steels. My first impression is that I don't think one cuts "better" than the other but I have been using the 15V to shred wood almost all day and it shows no sign of losing it's edge. The ultimate test will be a chunk of very hard and dry rosewood burl which has sent every tool I currently own to the grinder! The 15V tool also looks awesome with the jet black "stealth" handle and gold cap. OK I know that has nothing to do with how it performs but there are enough people here that are obsessive about how their tools look that I thought it might be worth mentioning.

Also, while I was at it (yes, I told you this was a story more about addiction than tools) I ordered a 3/4" and a 1 1/4" scraper. These things are incredible! The steel is a full 3/8" thick and beautifully seated in the handle. I have only used these lightly so far but they are a joy to use and I am sure they will get many serious workouts.

Now I am hopelessly sucked in. I plan on replacing all of my tools with Glaser tools. It might take some time because these things ain't cheap. I'm already losing sleep because I cannot get the image of the new MiniQR system out of my head. This might even motivate me to go out and clean up my lathe bed! And I know the rule about "no pics, credibility" so here's a few...

Top to bottom: 1/2" V15 Oval Bowl Gouge, 3/4" scraper, 1 1/4" scraper:

Detail of the scraper blade/handle fitting:

Roger Chandler
06-08-2011, 5:46 PM
That's a pretty nice tool gloat there, David. I know what you mean about tools.........I have this weakness for the latest and greatest, :eek: but I do manage to keep it under control! ;):D:D

Faust M. Ruggiero
06-08-2011, 6:15 PM
Years ago I bought tools on impulse. Since I've matured I do the appropriate amount of thinking about it before I buy. OK I've thought about it. Where do I get some? Seriously. they look magnificent and I am sure you will use the way they should be used. Enjoy and buy more. The economy needs you. We need to see your wonderful work.
faust

John Hart
06-08-2011, 6:16 PM
Those are very pretty, David. It makes me want to....um....touch them.

.....a lot.

Jim Heikes
06-08-2011, 6:35 PM
FYI.......................interesting reading.......................http://www.morewoodturning.net/reviews/Tool%20Wear%20Testing%20by%20Jim%20Staley.pdf

John Hart
06-08-2011, 6:53 PM
Nice report you found there, Jim ;)

David DeCristoforo
06-08-2011, 6:56 PM
"...interesting reading..."

Yes... of the kind that makes my head hurt! I know nothing of metallurgy. But I have been party to a "natural foods" business for the last twenty years and I can tell you that laboratory tests have to be "taken with a grain of salt". We have learned that just about any claim can be "proven" by someone somewhere somehow. The real test for me will be, as I said, how many trips to the grinder I have to make...

Faust M. Ruggiero
06-08-2011, 8:24 PM
Though I appreciate the science in that wear test study, I am also aware of the psychological effects a tool we believe is superior can have on our woodworking abilities. I am sure the same applies to the newest and greatest driver in golf. Every year the manufacturers tell us about the additional yardage and sweeter sweet spot. Golfers all know it is marketing that make us believe this years $500 driver is "longer" than last years. That doesn't stop them from buying because the latest and greatest makes them feel more confident and therefore, may actually improve their swing allowing them a bit more length. My definition of better is the one that makes us all feel we can produce work like Ellsworth, Klews or DeCristoforo. Personally, I don't golf any more and don't slide down that slippery slope of new clubs. Thank Heavens!! Now, where do you buy those bowl gouges?
faust

David DeCristoforo
06-08-2011, 8:58 PM
"...I don't golf any more...Now, where do you buy those bowl gouges?..."

Well I never did golf but I spent a lot of dough on a "high end" set of chess pieces. And I definitely play better with them!!! As to where to get these fabulous tools, get thee to glaserhitec.com and all will be revealed. But put a towel over your keyboard before you start looking...

Kyle Iwamoto
06-08-2011, 9:14 PM
Groan. Sigh. Where is that website? My bank account will hate you. My credit card company will love you.

John Keeton
06-08-2011, 9:32 PM
...This might even motivate me to go out and clean up my lathe bed! Now, for that part I will need to see close up pics!!!

Very nice looking tools, there, David D. First class!

Faust M. Ruggiero
06-08-2011, 9:43 PM
But put a towel over your keyboard before you start looking...

Now you tell me :>}

Jim Burr
06-08-2011, 9:53 PM
I'm sure glad I see better with my eyes shut!

Steve Schlumpf
06-08-2011, 10:19 PM
Yup - real pretty tools! Question about the handles: are they hard plastic, colored metal or what? I am used to using the Monster foam covered handles and am just curious. Thanks!

David E Keller
06-08-2011, 10:21 PM
... I'm already losing sleep because I cannot get the image of the new MiniQR system out of my head...

That's a sweet little setup! If you get one, I'd like to hear a full report.

David DeCristoforo
06-08-2011, 10:24 PM
"...re they hard plastic, colored metal or what?..."

Anodized aluminum.

Steve Schlumpf
06-08-2011, 10:28 PM
Thanks David! Are they comfortable to use - as far as fit, balance, diameter, etc?

David DeCristoforo
06-08-2011, 10:45 PM
"...Are they comfortable to use..."

I am having to get used to the feel of the smaller diameter handle. Mostly I'm used to fairly "fat" wood handles. But they are very well balanced and comfortable to grip. Overall, the "fit and finish" on these tools is as good as it gets.

Baxter Smith
06-08-2011, 11:24 PM
Nice looking Glaser tools David. You obviously need at least one more than whatever you have at the time...... or about 36 if I counted correctly.

Brian McInturff
06-09-2011, 11:13 PM
I'll post a full report on the MiniGlaser. I reserved the first set of 12 that isn't going to a Pro. The Glaser tools have been my favorite for a long time. The ones I currently own are the "old" Glasers but my understanding is the new ones are pretty much identical. My understanding is I may get my set in the next 30 days or so. The quick release system on the Mini G is unbelievable. You can literally change tooling in about 2 seconds. I was really skeptical because of the price but once you break it down it's not that bad for the high end tools. With the amount of traveling I do I can now look at carrying tools with me without them being to hefty or taking up a lot of room. Finding a lathe to turn on isn't that hard. And I can always ship a Mini Lathe for jobs that I may be at for several weeks. The Handle is approximately 7" and the tooling is approximately 7". There also may be a larger handle coming soon too. The new Synergy line they are coming out with is another one I'm anxiously waiting for too. I can't give any details but it may make an impact like the CPM 10V and 15V did when they first hit the market. And they will be bringing out other tools for the woodturner too. And knowing the attention to detail that has gone into the Mini G I'm excited about updating and upgrading my tools.

Tim Rinehart
06-10-2011, 8:16 AM
"Did you have any discussions with them over the 10V vs 15V choice..."

No. That is all way over my head! I did not really think about having more "V's" in my steel! You gotta talk to those tool guys about that stuff. I've already stuck this harpoon into some wood and from my first impressions, those extra five V's could only be an improvement if they held the gouge for me!
From your post about a month ago...you'll have to let us know if you end up with any 'auto gouge holding' capability.;)

David DeCristoforo
06-10-2011, 9:56 AM
From your post about a month ago...you'll have to let us know if you end up with any 'auto gouge holding' capability.;)

As a good friend and spiritual mentor once told me, in this life you can only have what you can imagine. So, maybe I'll just imagine it's better. Or as Tom Sawyer said, I'll "let on" it's better. If all the tools I get from here on out are 15V tools with their wicked looking black handles, I may become known as "Dart Vader"...