PDA

View Full Version : Greetings

Robby Phelps
02-10-2005, 2:34 AM
Hello everyone,

Just wanted to say hi and introduce myself. My name is Robby Phelps and I have been in the woodworking hobby/field for almost 15 years, I love it,and still learn new things all the time. This site looks like a great place to share ideas and thoughts on the craft we all love so much. I hope to learn as much as i can from you all and hopefully I can return the favor.
I run my own small studio furnitre business in norther utah. Have been in business for almost two years and I enjoy what I do and the wonderful people I meet.
I also wanted to compliment the forums and the information found therin. The site looks great and flows very well.
I am excited to be a member and look forward to visiting with you all.

Thanks again

Signature line was removed - contained a direct link to poster's web site which violates the SMC Terms of Service.

Bill Arnold
02-10-2005, 3:20 AM
Robby,

Welcome aboard! I joined SMC a few months ago and have found it to be a great group of professionally-minded folks. I look forward to your participation.

Regards,

Alan Turner
02-10-2005, 4:01 AM
Welcom to SMC. The work shown on your website is impressive. I esp. enjoy your rockers.
Alan

John Shuk
02-10-2005, 7:12 AM
Welcome Robby,
SNC is a great place. I'm amazed by what I have learned here and much of it not WW,ing! Having your own furniture biz you'll probably help a lot of folks as well.
John

John Shuk
02-10-2005, 7:23 AM
Welcome Robby,
SNC is a great place. I'm amazed by what I have learned here and much of it not WW,ing! Having your own furniture biz you'll probably help a lot of folks as well.
John
I took a look at your website. I agree the rockers are amazing. I love them. I'm also a bit of a fishkeeper and like the aquarium stands.

Jim Dunn
02-10-2005, 7:52 AM
Robby, I want to welcome you also. As a member for the last 5 months I'm carrying around enough new knowledge to aw my friends. Owe it all to the fine people here in the "creek".

Glenn Clabo
02-10-2005, 7:56 AM
Welcome to SMC Robby.

AND...YIPES your rocking chairs are absolutely amazing! You may want to go over to the Design side of SMC and discuss with Mr. Singer and company the process you go through in design and build.

Dick Parr
02-10-2005, 7:58 AM
Welcome to the SMC Robby :)

Jeff Sudmeier
02-10-2005, 8:28 AM
Welcome Robby, you have found the best forum on the net IMHO! I am sure you will enjoy your stay here. Now how about some pics of your favorite projects?

:) Jeff

Frank Pellow
02-10-2005, 8:36 AM
Welcome Robby, you have found the best forum on the net IMHO! I am sure you will enjoy your stay here. Now how about some pics of your favorite projects?

:) Jeff
Just check his web site Jeff.

Robby, welcome to Saw mill Creek. I like most of the items featured on your web site, and I really like the rocking chair!

David Wilson
02-10-2005, 8:42 AM
Robby
Welcome aboard

Bob Hovde
02-10-2005, 8:52 AM
Robby,

Welcome to the Creek! Lots of good ideas here.

Bob

Byron Trantham
02-10-2005, 8:54 AM
Robby - welcome to SMC. I am looking forward to your advice on various problems posted here.

Steve Inniss
02-10-2005, 9:25 AM
Robby,
Welcome. Great website, your pieces are absolutely terrific. The Bubinga Maple burl rocker is inspirational - just beautiful.
Like Byron said, I look forward to your advice. -Steve

Ted Shrader
02-10-2005, 11:11 AM
Welcome Robby -

Glad to have you with us here in the Creek. It is a friendly place to hang out and exchange ideas. Good community of people here.

Welcome,
Ted

Silas Smith
02-10-2005, 11:16 AM
Robby, as a BYU alumni, I wanted to welcome you. You will find that this is the best group of guys on the net. Being new to the craft, sometimes I ask really basic questions and I have ALWAYS been helped out. Welcome and we hope to see some post with pics soon.

John Scarpa
02-10-2005, 12:11 PM
Nice to have you on board Robby.

I've learned so much from the folks on SMC. A great bunch of people here. You will enjoy the experience.

Beautiful rockers! It must have taken sometime to develop your construction methods.

John

Jerry Olexa
02-10-2005, 12:20 PM
Welcome to SMC!!

Jason Tuinstra
02-10-2005, 12:40 PM
Robby, welcome to SMC!!! Your website was filled with all kind of beautiful pieces - espeically the rocking chairs. This is a great place to hang out. I'm sure you'll fit right in.

Robby Phelps
02-10-2005, 1:00 PM
Hi Bill Arnold,

Just wanted to say thanks for the welcome and also to congratulate you on the awards that you recently won. I saw your posting on Knots and never got the chance to say well done. I especially like your quilt stand. I also make them, and kindof prided myself on my "unique" designs:D but you blew me away with that one. I am courious though what type of joinery did you use for the whole piece?
Thanks again,
Robby Phelps RP Custom Woodworks

Signature line was removed - contained a direct link to poster's web site which violates the SMC Terms of Service.

Robby Phelps
02-10-2005, 1:03 PM
Wow! :D What a welcome. Thanks so much for making me feel welcome. I have a feeling i will make many new friends here.

Thanks again,
Robby Phelps RP Custom Woodworks

Bill Arnold
02-11-2005, 8:27 AM
Hi Bill Arnold, Just wanted to say thanks for the welcome and also to congratulate you on the awards that you recently won. I saw your posting on Knots and never got the chance to say well done. I especially like your quilt stand. I also make them, and kindof prided myself on my "unique" designs:D but you blew me away with that one. I am courious though what type of joinery did you use for the whole piece? Thanks again, Robby Phelps RP Custom Woodworks
Hi Robby,

Thanks for your comments and, yeah, I had to brag a little being that I'm relatively new to the fine furniture realm of woodworking. Although very simple in design, the quilt stand has received more praise than I ever expected. Before and after the judging last Saturday, people kept walking by it and 'laying hands on it'; perhaps the symbology drew them to it.

Joinery for the stand is very basic. The ends are half-lapped where they cross near the base; the point is just a butt joint. The crossmembers are doweled into the end assemblies with three dowels at each joint. I debated whether to add a dowel to the butt joint at the point but the angle gives a lot of long grain for glue-up; the top dowel for the top crossmember also adds strength to the joint with its glue surface. The walnut accent is dowelled to the legs. The only mechanical fasteners are 23ga pins that I used to hold the triangular crossmember segments in place for glue-up; they are plunged from the inside of the triangle so they don't show.

Best Regards,

Ken Fitzgerald
02-11-2005, 9:23 AM
Welcome to the 'Creek Robby! Great place to hang and exchange information and opinions!