PDA

View Full Version : G&G Twin Bed

Stan Mitchell
06-08-2011, 11:54 AM
It has been a while since I’ve posted a project, but finished this one up last week. Because of some challenges, I thought it was worth sharing this one.

I had an overall design in my head for a twin-bed for my daughter - but I wasn’t ready to commit to the project with nice hardwood, so in an effort to save a couple of bucks I decided to use Douglas-fir construction lumber.

Here is where I met some challenges and I learned a few things along the way. First, finding usable construction lumber for a project like this is near impossible without digging through piles and piles of lumber (but that’s what I ended-up doing). Second, Douglas-fir is really awful to work with due to pitch pockets, splintering and the like. Finally, Douglas-fir just isn’t that attractive once you’ve gotten to the point of putting a finish on it.

Once assembled, I liked the overall design – but absolutely hated the look of the wood itself. In an attempt to make the project more appealing, I used a color wash and then a coat of poly.

I’m still not pleased with the finish, but we’re often our own worst critics. My 15 year old really likes it, so maybe it’s not as bad as I perceive. On the plus side, I convinced myself that I won’t be using Douglas-fir in any future furniture projects.;)

glenn bradley
06-08-2011, 12:24 PM
The design is great. Wonderful proportions; solid in stance without looking heavy. I think you have done a great job with that finish in recovering from a serious challenge ;-). It would be truly striking in mahogany or walnut if you choose to do another.

As to dimensional Doug-fir, I tried to "save a few bucks" by using it for a workbench base and trim. The base is still functional but the trim distorted to the point where a rebuild is inevitable. There was so much spoil from the characteristics you list that I could've saved money buying decent material at the lumber yard. Lessons learned hard, stick fast with me.

Conrad Fiore
06-08-2011, 2:05 PM
Stan,
I think that you would have been extremely pleased if you could get your hands on vertical grain doug fir. I'm sure it's available in your area, since the best stuff comes from the Pacific NW.

Jerome Hanby
06-08-2011, 2:51 PM
May be like other places with the best stuff, it all goes out of state. Didn't end up with a goo steak the time I was in Kansas City, for example...

Stan,
I think that you would have been extremely pleased if you could get your hands on vertical grain doug fir. I'm sure it's available in your area, since the best stuff comes from the Pacific NW.

Peter Koutsovitis
06-08-2011, 8:28 PM
Very nice work, Stan... I love the 'cloud lift' design on beds especially. You should be proud of it.

As far as fir is concerned, I picked-up some one-hundred-year-old reclaimed douglas fir beams for use in building a workbench (eventually) from an old warehouse that was being reconfigured here in Chicago... It was covered in in about 1/8 inch of muck, but when I scraped a portion of it down with a razor blade, beautiful, tight vertical grain appeared.

Eric McCune
06-08-2011, 9:14 PM
Why do you make her sleep outside? :)

I really like the design.

Kurt Cady
06-08-2011, 9:38 PM
I love it!!

I would love to see some drawings or a sketchup if you had anything.

Again, wonderful!

Mark Valsi
06-08-2011, 11:04 PM
well, I love the design, I love the craftsmanship, I love the G&G style, but the paint ?? yikes !!
I would love to see you do that with beautiful woods !! It's a stunning design !

Stan Mitchell
06-10-2011, 12:19 AM
If there's old-growth, straight-grained fir out there, it's a mystery to me where it can be had. When I went to my favorite lumber yard and told them that I'd like some nice 2x6's with not too many knots and cracks, the salesman laughed and said "you're about 10 years too late".

I would love to see some drawings or a sketchup if you had anything.Sorry Kurt, my sketchup was some pencil markings on a piece of scratch paper. I can take measurements if you like.

well, I love the design, I love the craftsmanship, I love the G&G style, but the paint ?? yikes !!That's pretty much how I feel about it, but my daughter likes the "antique" look. Go figure!

It's not my best work by far, but I wanted to illustrate how I discovered the importance wood selection and finish for a project - even when you have a great design idea.

If I decide to do a version 2.0, I'll go with walnut or maybe cherry.

And yes, we do make her sleep outside! She's a teenager after all! :D

Kurt Cady
06-10-2011, 9:49 AM
I would LOVE some rough measurements so I can get a handle on the overall proportions, the curvature of the top accents, size of the panel openings, etc.

I really really like the design and would love to build something similar. King or Queen probably. And with panels in the open areas of the header and footer.

Did a book, picture, plan, magazine article inspire this design or was it just off the top of your head?

Stan Mitchell
06-10-2011, 1:17 PM
I would LOVE some rough measurementsI'll see what I can do - give me a couple of days though.

I don't have too many original thoughts, so yes, the design came from a photo that I saw somewhere along the way.

Rodney Walker
06-15-2011, 4:16 PM
You did a beautiful job on the bed. You're not likely to see any good old growth fir at a lumber yard anymore. Unless you find someone who's been sitting on a stash, any you find is likely to be reclaimed. Old growth Douglas fir works like a different species than the second and third growth stuff you find. I save every scrap I get.
Rodney