PDA

View Full Version : I'M WILLING TO TRY (almost) ANYTHING

Gene Howe
06-08-2011, 9:36 AM
This Utube video SANDER (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CxWR0cpluk) seriously intrigued me. So today, I’m picking up a treadmill to convert into a belt sander.
I’m getting it from a lady who bought it 3 years ago and then moved to a home “off grid”.:confused:
The utube video mentions a granite slab for a platen. I wonder if wood (or something else) would work. Any ideas out there?
Stay tuned.

george wilson
06-08-2011, 9:45 AM
Could be interesting.I wonder how long it would take to sand the leading end of the wood thinner than the trailing end,though(with respect to the direction the belt is meeting the wood.) No way to insure the wood stays parallel. You couldn't do thin wood on it either. It would sand the middle of thin wood quicker than the edges (if you were holding the thin wood down in the middle of it.) Not the best explanation from me,but something to think about.

Bobby O'Neal
06-08-2011, 9:50 AM
Hmm... This could be awesome. Keep a fire extinguisher handy.

Gene Howe
06-08-2011, 9:50 AM
Thanks George!
Of course, you are right. Nix the wood. I guess I'll start looking for a granite or marble slab.

Ryan Hellmer
06-08-2011, 11:32 AM
you may also consider fiddling with the belt drive, normal belt/drum sanders run 2500-3500 fpm. A treadmill runs at maybe 880-1056 fpm (10-12mph). Considering the used market for some wide drum/belt sanders, I couldn't imagine spending the time and money on a project like this, but it's your perogative.

Gary Herrmann
06-08-2011, 1:40 PM
Very clever.

Gene Howe
06-08-2011, 1:54 PM
you may also consider fiddling with the belt drive, normal belt/drum sanders run 2500-3500 fpm. A treadmill runs at maybe 880-1056 fpm (10-12mph). Considering the used market for some wide drum/belt sanders, I couldn't imagine spending the time and money on a project like this, but it's your perogative.

Ha ha, Ryan. You are so right. But I have the time, the space and the access to most of materials for cheap. The treadmill is only $50. I doubt I'll have more than a couple hundred in it....if that. And, I love a challenge.

John Nesmith
06-08-2011, 1:57 PM

Now, now. One should never dissuade a fellow creeker from doing something that would be entertaining to the rest of us.

ray hampton
06-08-2011, 2:13 PM
will you explain how you can adjust the tread mill for the sanding belt ?

David Prince
06-08-2011, 2:42 PM
You might be on to something if you can figure out how we can get our exercise while woodworking. Put SWMBO on the treadmill while you do your sanding. :rolleyes:

Ole Anderson
06-08-2011, 2:47 PM
Ought to be interesting when his sander goes back on CL as a 40 mph treadmill after the gear change. Or better yet, when the guy steps on it for the first time, not knowing of the gear change.

mreza Salav
06-08-2011, 5:18 PM
I built a 29" drum sander (with power feed) from scratch. It's documented here. I tried using granite for the table. Had a 1.25" thick piece of granite
custom cut for me and brought it home just to realize it's not as flat as I thought (about 0.006" or more deep). I built my table instead out of a maple frame with
laminated MDF as top.

michael gates
06-08-2011, 5:20 PM
WOW! What are you planning to sand with this?
Have you ever tried to hold a 6 inch wide piece of wood onto a 6 inch belt, give that a try than think about what a wider piece would be like. You wont be able to hold the wood on with out hurting yourself, especially your fingers.

It also doesn't go fast enough.

This is half of a sander, the power feeder's are their for a reason.

Gene Howe
06-08-2011, 6:13 PM
will you explain how you can adjust the tread mill for the sanding belt ?

Ray, It has tensioning springs on it to align the tread mill belt.

Gene Howe
06-08-2011, 6:24 PM
Well, I got it. It's DC, has tensioning springs and an alignment lever.
Still in the back of the truck but I measured the roller width at 16 1/2" and the belt is probably 48". The whole unit is 60" long. I gotta get the head off to get an accurate measurement.
The plate it's running on is that phenolic covered 3/4 ply. If it's still flat, I may use it. It's pretty new looking, so I'm hopeful.
Added bonus: I can check the wood's pulse rate and blood pressure.
Speed dial reads up to 15 MPH. I doubt that, but my sister has one like this one and she says her speed is 12 MPH. That's a little over 1000 RPM.

Chris Padilla
06-08-2011, 6:39 PM
Cool. This should be fun! Lottsa pics, Gene!!

Peter Quinn
06-08-2011, 7:07 PM
I'm not in any way trying to discourage this adventure, but assuming you are successful in creating this Frankensander, just what do you hope to do with it? You could use it to radius a fretboard on the BIGGEST GUITAR EVER with a pendulum. Or you could sharpen your pencils. Based on that you tube vid I tihink I could actually push sandpaper by hand a bit quicker. Perhaps you could also bild a right angle fence and use it to sand door edges, sort of like a jointer style fence, for fitting inset doors? What ever you choose to do, by al means hold on tight!

Troy Turner
06-09-2011, 9:53 AM
Hmmmm...I'll be curious how this works out. We have a dust collector/clothes hangar thing that resembles a treadmill :) Wonder where I could buy sand paper for that?

While you're in there though, what are the odds of maybe figuring out someway to make a big ol' drum sander?

Gene Howe
06-10-2011, 8:42 AM
Well, Wife and I unloaded it from the truck and wheeled it into the shop.
As soon as I finish up the mirrors and get them sent off, I'll be tearing the treadmill down to the essentials and building a stand. I have around 80' of 2X4 steel tube that will make a nice stand.
I'll post beginning pics as soon as I get it all torn down.

ray hampton
06-10-2011, 11:39 AM
80' of 2x4 tubing ? that is a odd size to me

Gene Howe
06-10-2011, 1:47 PM
Ray,
I'm not a metal guy. These are 20' long, 2" X 4" hollow lengths of bright steel, 1/8" thick. I originally used them as "jambs" to anchor pairs of large doors to close in a metal shed, open on both ends.

george wilson
06-10-2011, 2:47 PM
Recommend you ALWAYS use push blocks with handles on top when using the sander. You don't want to sand the palm of your hand down to the blood when the wood suddenly scoots out from under your hand. Can you make a fence across the end of the sander to keep that from happening? You could leave some clearance under it so your dust scoop will still work.

ray hampton
06-10-2011, 5:17 PM
Ray,
I'm not a metal guy. These are 20' long, 2" X 4" hollow lengths of bright steel, 1/8" thick. I originally used them as "jambs" to anchor pairs of large doors to close in a metal shed, open on both ends.
I were thinking 2x4 as in welding, I just came back home from home depot and one thing that I seen in the store were steel joists and wall studs , is the bright finish tin plated

Gene Howe
06-10-2011, 5:36 PM
They aren't tin plated. Just shiny, as opposed to black steel. Not as shiny as tin or chrome plating. Real smooth, too.

michael gates
06-16-2011, 12:50 PM
Is it up and running yet?

Gene Howe
06-16-2011, 8:58 PM
Heck no!
I'm still working on the mirrors I have promised.
I'll get to it soon, though.

Carl Hunsinger
06-17-2011, 2:17 AM
This Utube video SANDER (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CxWR0cpluk) seriously intrigued me. So today, I’m picking up a treadmill to convert into a belt sander.
I’m getting it from a lady who bought it 3 years ago and then moved to a home “off grid”.:confused:
The utube video mentions a granite slab for a platen. I wonder if wood (or something else) would work. Any ideas out there?
Stay tuned.

I think Red Green already did this...

Carl

Kevin W Johnson
09-12-2011, 10:05 AM
This project ever get off the ground? I'm curious to see how it turned out.....