PDA

View Full Version : Hackberry Crotch Plate

Scott Hackler
06-08-2011, 12:06 AM
This was interesting to turn because even after it was sealed up for 6 months or more, there were still worms in it! 7 1/2" diameter. Finished with BLO and rattle can lacquer.

Comments, critiques and Skittles are welcome. Thanks. :)

Marty Eargle
06-08-2011, 5:54 AM
Hard to beat a good piece of crotch wood. From the look of that photo, it looks like it could have flown apart on you at any second.

Perfect to put a few candy bars on...but you're not getting my Skittles.

Toney Robertson
06-08-2011, 6:25 AM
Wow, I not know that hackberry could look so good.

Wonderful platter.

John Keeton
06-08-2011, 7:17 AM
Some really nice character in this piece, Scott. I have not had the pleasure of turning hackberry, though it is very prevalent here. In fact, we have a large hackberry up by the barn that has a large limb that split out, but is still attached to the tree and alive. Unfortunately, the grandkids love to climb out on it, so it is off limits to the chain saw!

It should be easy to find some more, and I will keep my eyes open for some. Looks to be worth the effort.

Doug W Swanson
06-08-2011, 7:44 AM
Scott,
That really has a lot going on. Even though the form is simple, the wood really looks good.

bob svoboda
06-08-2011, 8:51 AM
That wood sure has some interest about it. Nice bowl. You've been busy lately.

Jim Burr
06-08-2011, 9:46 AM
Great piece of character Scott...worms and all

Scott Hackler
06-08-2011, 10:07 AM
Thanks everyone. This was supposed to be a shallow bowl but by the time I turned it down to the figure.....well a plate was the only good option! Most of the Hackberry isnt all this interesting, but it is a good turning wood except for the planning on a lot of movement. Most bowl I have turned (green) ended up ovaling a lot.

Steve Schlumpf
06-08-2011, 11:23 AM
Looks pretty good Scott! The platter displays the figure quite well!

Jamie Donaldson
06-08-2011, 11:47 AM
John K.--give me a call when you next venture my way. I have a stash of hackberry that you are welcome to visit. It often spalts nicely with a bit of help from Miracle Gro and beer, and I have a good supply of the wood after each windstorm here on the golf course.

Baxter Smith
06-08-2011, 2:49 PM
Very pretty Scott. I seem to remember seeing quite a few nice spalted hackberry turnings posted here!