PDA

View Full Version : The finished results of the fish tank stand.

Robert Mayer
02-09-2005, 10:53 PM
Its all done finally. I had to sand the entire thing down after using minwax cherry stain on it. It had more splotches than a leper. I ended up just using tung oil on the entire thing. Came out pretty nice considering I had to resand down all of it.

http://www.imagehostplus.com/v2/usr/158/6100Picture_006.jpg

Terry Hatfield
02-09-2005, 11:06 PM
Robert,

That turned out great!!!!

Terry

Christopher Stahl
02-09-2005, 11:11 PM
I'm with Terry, I think it looks awesome Rob!! The extra effort payed off.

chris

Jerry Olexa
02-09-2005, 11:16 PM
Good job Bob! Looks good!

RichMagnone
02-10-2005, 12:43 AM
I've seen some nifty hoods that cover up those clunky plastic tank hoods - I bet one would look great up there. Sweet work.

John Shuk
02-10-2005, 7:30 AM
Rob,
Looks great. What kind of fish do you plan on keeping?
John

Robert Mayer
02-10-2005, 7:40 AM
I was going to build a hood for it, but my wife didnt want one. The stand isnt that tall right now and she is almost to short to reach into the tank as it is. Were going this weekend to get some cichlids for it. Were going to start with just a couple small ones to see if the water is ready for them.

Jeff Sudmeier
02-10-2005, 8:22 AM
That looks great! Much better than those cheap store built stands!!

Byron Trantham
02-10-2005, 8:48 AM
That's a pretty uptown tank for a "couple of old chiclids"! :D That is a very nice tank stand. Your tank looks great as well. As far as "if the tank is ready" you need to measure the temp and Ph. The Ph requirements vary depending on the species you put in the tank. Once those two values are met you can rock and roll. :p

Ted Shrader
02-10-2005, 11:22 AM
Robert -

Looks like all the hard work paid off. You have a nice looking piece there. Your tank is well "landscaped" and the nice looking base, just sets it off even better.

Well done!
Ted

Robert Mayer
02-10-2005, 11:27 AM
Thanks for the nice comments guys. Now i am seriously saving up for a jointer and planer now. I am totally limited right now to lumber that is already squared like oak or poplar from lowes, im not a big fan of either. I hope by the end of april to have a jointer and planer sitting in my shop.

John Scarpa
02-10-2005, 11:59 AM
Robert,
That really looks good! Nice execution.
John

Dan Mages
02-11-2005, 12:13 PM
Very nicely done!!! However, I reccomend against getting cichlids just yet. I reccomend getting some hardy and cheap fish, like zebra dainos or feeder gold fish for the tank and keep them there for a month or two. These fish will stabilize the tank's chemistry and promote helpful bacteria growth. Your cichlids will have a better time adjusting to the tank once it has been broken in.

Dan

Jim Becker
02-11-2005, 12:37 PM
That's really nice, Robert. I like the contrast between the species, too. With a little UV exposure, any remaining greenish tinge in the poplar heartwood will brown out for you, too.