PDA

View Full Version : Hat wood - just in time!

Kelvin Burton
06-07-2011, 11:12 PM
Jimmy Clewes is demonstrating at East Texas Woodturners Assoc. this weekend and we needed a large piece of Sycamore for him to turn a hat. We were getting desperate trying to figure out where we could find a piece large enough when I remembered a guy I had seen trimming trees last year, so I set about tracking him down. Couldn't find a phone number but found his address so I went round to visit.

Turned out he had just cut down a huge Sycamore earlier today! We went out to the farmers place right away before dark and came back with this hunk! 28" long, 29" across! Should do the job :D:D
197269 The little piece beside it is 8" in diameter.

Marty Eargle
06-08-2011, 5:57 AM
I have a great looking piece of sycamore I got from Mike Smith that I can't wait to turn.

I was watching a video yesterday on a few guys turning hats, seems like fun but very risky when trying to form it in the end. Good luck!

John Keeton
06-08-2011, 7:19 AM
Now, that is a hunk o' wood!!!

John Hart
06-08-2011, 9:47 AM
Wow...what timing. Pretty cool...Have fun!

Bob Bergstrom
06-08-2011, 10:18 AM
From the size of that wood he will be making a "sombrero". I've seen Jimmy turn, and I sure hope he doesn't try to turn this piece at his usual high speed technique. If he uses his alcohol drying trick on it you better have the fire department close.:eek::eek:

Steve Schlumpf
06-08-2011, 10:58 AM
Wow! Jimmy must have a really big head!

Have fun at the demo!

Baxter Smith
06-08-2011, 2:56 PM
Maybe you could talk him into doing two! And since you brought the wood......