PDA

View Full Version : Jet 1220 Indexing Jig

Tim Thiebaut
06-07-2011, 8:28 PM
Simple little project, but hopefully will make things a little eaiser for me on some projects I have planned once I get a few more things together, and maybe this will help another new person like myself. The Jet 1220 has Indexing built into it, but there are no markings or indicators anywhere on the lathe, so you would have to be very careful on what hole you had your index pin into or it would be very easy to get it in the wrong hole and screw up a project you put a given amount of time into.

For the Needle part of this I used some scrap wood, dont know what it was, turned it to fit the hole in the main spindle collar, I bored the bottom of it to "1/4 and epoxied a small magnet into it, to hold it in the collar even while upside down...it holds well.

I also epoxied magnets into the bottom of the main number board where it sets on the ways, it wont move even under heavy vibration it holds very well. Useing this makes it so much easier to know exactly which number hole you have your index pin set into and takes the guess work out of it. Total cost was about $3 for the magnets. I have had a little case of creative block going on this week so this gave me something to do.

Bob Haverstock
06-08-2011, 6:44 AM
Hi Tim,

The indexing jig looks good, very creative. The magnets are a great idea.

Bob Haverstock