PDA

View Full Version : Cheap yet reliable Digital Wood Moisture Meter - myth or real?

Darin Hornsby
06-07-2011, 7:41 PM
I've been looking online for a moister meter because I'm tired of following all the steps with a DA bath, rough turning, etc, and still getting some minor warping (at least the cracking has diminished). I'm looking for an inexpensive moister meter ($35 or less), but what bothers me in all the reviews are people that use it for firewood. No woodworker reviews. Do any of you know of one that is reliable enough to get the job done? Thanks!

Matt Hutchinson
06-07-2011, 8:28 PM
Myth?

I honestly have no idea, but I would tend to say anything that's cheap is probably a waste of money. I have worked at a Woodcraft store for almost 3 years now, and having played around with all of the meters they carry, I think you may want to go for a decent pinless. (All of the inexpensive meters seem to have inconsistent performance.) I have been very happy with the one I own, even though it was quite an investment. I bring up the pinless because you can use them on roughed out pieces without having to worry about leaving pin holes. They are more accurate than some people give them credit for, and there are a couple brands that I think you would be very happy with.

That said, I too would love to know if others have had good performance out of an inexpensive model.

Hutch

P.S. I have had my moisture meter for about 5 years now.

Rick Gibson
06-07-2011, 8:51 PM
I have a cheap one, think I paid about $27 for it a couple years ago. One of those multifunctional ones, supposed to let me know if a wire is live, seems to work but I wouldn't bet my life on it. Also supposed to be a stud finder and metal detector. I use it mainly to let me know if pen blanks I am drying in the microwave are dry enough to turn or not. Works well for that. When the 8% led doesn't come on any more they are dry enough. I think if you got one and compared it to a known good meter at the few readings you are interested in it would work fine.

Steve Harder
06-07-2011, 9:15 PM
I have a 2pin digital LCD meter - purchased on ebay for less than $10.

I'm not sure of it's accuracy as to actual moisture content, but it is fairly sensitive. I can measure a bowl at the tenon and then the edge and see quite a difference if not yet dry. I usually measure a 2x4 shelf support in my shop to get an ambient reading, then check bowls that I've had sitting on that shelf. If they read more than a couple of points higher than the 2x4 I let them dry some more.

So I never know the "actual" moisture content, but I'm able to easily compare bowls to each other and the 2x4.

David Gilbert
06-07-2011, 9:32 PM
I bought one at Harbor Freight for about $14. It works up to about 40% water in wet wood and seems to cut out below about 7%. Since my basement is normally between 50 and 70% it works OK. In this range my wood is between 9 - 10% ambient moisture. I don't use it a lot. I weigh all my bowls as they dry so I know when they are "done".

Cheers,
David

Jim Underwood
06-07-2011, 9:35 PM
Even the $200+ Delmhorst pin meters don't register below about 5-6% moisture, so if yours is actually working to 7% I'd say you're doing alright..

James Combs
06-07-2011, 9:37 PM
I have a 2pin digital LCD meter - purchased on ebay for less than $10.

I'm not sure of it's accuracy as to actual moisture content, but it is fairly sensitive. I can measure a bowl at the tenon and then the edge and see quite a difference if not yet dry. I usually measure a 2x4 shelf support in my shop to get an ambient reading, then check bowls that I've had sitting on that shelf. If they read more than a couple of points higher than the 2x4 I let them dry some more.
So I never know the "actual" moisture content, but I'm able to easily compare bowls to each other and the 2x4.

I have a General Tools MMD4E Digital Moisture Meter with the dual pin setup. I purchased it on Amazon about a month ago for $34.96. I really haven't had it long enough to judge it's durability but it seems sturdy enough and the pins are replaceable nor can I vouch for it's accuracy. I use it like Steve does to compare known dry wood to my test wood. I can tell you that dry wood around my shop such as commercial plywood, 2x4's etc. typically register in the mid single digits, 5-9% depending on the wood. 2x4's usually read the highest. My green/wet turning wood will typically register in the hight teens to low twenties. Most of my green/wet wood logs and blanks have been down for at least a year and some as long as 3-4 but they still register up there. Once I rough turn a blank, DNA it for a couple days and let it dry for a week or two I will get similar readings to the commercial wood so I assume it is dry.

Basically if all you want to do is determine if something is dry enough to turn I think one like this one is all you really need. Here is what it looks like: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00275F5O2

David Warkentin
06-07-2011, 10:09 PM
I have the cheap one from HF and we checked it against my father in laws expensive one and it does seem to be fairly accurate.

Ed Morgano
06-07-2011, 10:14 PM
I bought this one from amazon and am happy with it. General Tools MMD4E Digital Moisture Meter. I've had it for about 2 years now and it works fine.

Bernie Clapcott
06-08-2011, 3:04 AM
Hi Darin,

I use this one (http://cgi.ebay.com/Digital-Moisture-Meter-Wood-Firewood-Damp-Tester-2-Pin-/220793066502?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item33684ad406#ht_928wt_907) - got it from eBay for $25 plus shipping. Seems to work ok for my requirements. For the amount of use it gets, I didn't want to spend too much on it.

Richard Jones
06-08-2011, 5:46 AM
Not to hijack this thread, but for those who have one already, do you find that the pins leave too much of a mark to remove? Where on the piece do you measure? Tenon?

Thanks.

Rich

Bill Bulloch
06-08-2011, 7:47 AM
I, too, have the Harbor Freight meter and find that it suits my needs. I kiln dry my stuff down to where it will not register on the meter, which means (according to the meter) it is below 7%. Is it dead on accurate -- I doubt it, but it is close enough. I have never had a problem. Cost about $15.00

Steve Harder
06-08-2011, 8:26 AM
Not to hijack this thread, but for those who have one already, do you find that the pins leave too much of a mark to remove? Where on the piece do you measure? Tenon?

Thanks.

Rich

If measuring a finished piece you would leave marks, but on anything that is just roughed out the pin marks are no problem. The pins don't go that deep into the wood.

Richard Jones
06-08-2011, 8:44 AM
If measuring a finished piece you would leave marks, but on anything that is just roughed out the pin marks are no problem. The pins don't go that deep into the wood.

Thanks Steve, ordering one now from Amazon, will let anyone know that's interested how it does.

Rich

Darin Hornsby
06-08-2011, 12:55 PM
Thank you everyone!

Donny Lawson
06-08-2011, 5:13 PM
I have one like Bernie has. It works great. Use it all the time. Less than 30.00 shipped is a good deal.

Alec Moseley
06-09-2011, 3:06 PM
Penn State Industries shows one on sale currently for $29.95. No idea how good it is, but I would favor its products over those of Harbor Freight myself.

Jeff Nicol
06-09-2011, 11:50 PM
I have 2 of the HF ones and they both read the same and I use one for checking lumber out in my shed and the other in the shop for turnings. I check most things on the inside where I can get the meter into or on the outside as most all are going to be re-turned anyway so the pin marks will be turned away. The thing I like about the HF units is that they are very small, about 2.5x1.5x3/4" so easy to keep in a pocket or hanging by the lathe.

Jeff