PDA

View Full Version : Not a table, a desk

GEDunton
04-17-2003, 7:17 PM
I've finished some lap desks for my grandchildren. Imagine you can figure out how many there are. They are simple. Ribbon maple with some nice spalting patterns, sorry not much of that in the pics I shot. Tops are cherry as I am sure you'll note. Finish, one coat of BLO rubbed hard, then four coats of laquer-padded and rubbed, followed by a couple of coats of wax and some bauffing, arms do get tired on this type of finish.

GEDunton
04-17-2003, 7:21 PM
Here's a look inside. Please note that batteries are not required, and so not included. However, software is included so in is useable right out of the box.

GEDunton
04-17-2003, 7:26 PM
Here's a triffle of constuction detail. The corners are all simple miters, but I added dove tailed splines in the corners for a little added umhp and detail. i liked them, even if no one else does. Pencil trays were routed into the back edge of the tops so they wouldn't run off. As there is a southpaw amonsst them, his has the pencil try aon the left, the others are on the right.

Thanks or looking.

Tom Sweeney
04-17-2003, 10:35 PM
Gotta love that maple & cherry combo.

How did you get the darker figure to pop out so much. Is that from the BLO or the laquer? I heard that you can use an aniline dye to achieve this also.

Anyway I'm sure the kids will love them - nice work.

Bob Lasley
04-17-2003, 11:25 PM
GE,

Those are really nice. I like the dovetail splines, too. They add a nice touch.

Bob

Mark Hulette
04-18-2003, 12:12 AM
GE-
Those are too cool! As previously noted the maple and cherry look great!

It's hard to tell from the angle of the shot showing the inside of the desk but it looks like there might be room for some sort of "secret" compartment! From your boxes posted earlier, I seem to remember you kinda like to hide things like that.

Just before your box "series" I, too, had a hankering to try my hand at the dovetail splines or something similar for SWMBO. Well done and thanks for sharing!

Kirk (KC) Constable
04-18-2003, 8:35 AM
That's a fine looking box(es)...especially the details like the pencil groove and the dividers inside. The 'software' is a nice touch, too.

Many years ago (10?) O started a 'Bible box'...and you may have inspired me to resume and/or start over. ;)

KC

Bill Esposito
04-18-2003, 9:29 AM
Looks great. I have one of those which is quite old and made from pine...no dividers in it though.