PDA

View Full Version : Civil War Wood - Gen. Stonewall Jackson's Prayer tree

Roger Chandler
06-07-2011, 5:16 PM
Okay........we have owners permission and wholehearted endorsement of our proposal to utilize the Stonewall Jackson prayer tree after a face to face meeting this afternoon. They are excited to see what our club can do to give this piece of history a second life.

This giant white oak is a little bigger than I thought it would be........I knew it would be big, because it is over 300 years old..........

One place we measured the diameter of the trunk is over 114 inches! :eek: Needless to say we will have our work cut out for us!

Today, myself and our past club president cut part of One limb and we have a scheduled cutting meeting on Thursday morning. Hopefully a number of our guys will be able to make it and bring their truck.

Here are the pictures of the part of one limb.....some over 16 inches in diameter. Wish us luck guys........a lot of hard work is ahead to preserve this piece of history.

Alan Trout
06-07-2011, 5:23 PM
That's a cool deal. I hope many wonderful pieces come out of that historic tree.

Alan

Brian Kent
06-07-2011, 5:28 PM
I had to do a little search to see why anyone was cutting up the tree. I see that it fell due to high winds and disease on May 27.

Roger Chandler
06-07-2011, 5:31 PM
I had to do a little search to see why anyone was cutting up the tree. I see that it fell due to high winds and disease on May 27.

That is correct, Brian.........why let the wood just decay away, when it can have a second life and benefit the foundations that preserve the battlefields, and the museums, etc, we plan to help with the proceeds.

Toney Robertson
06-07-2011, 5:37 PM
That is correct, Brian.........why let the wood just decay away, when it can have a second life and benefit the foundations that preserve the battlefields, and the museums, etc, we plan to help with the proceeds.

Roger, that is a very commendable goal. I applaud you sir.

Rick Markham
06-07-2011, 7:04 PM
I'm glad you guys got it! You should photo document all the pieces made out of it, make 2 albums. Keep one for the club and make one for the museum... and of course show us all of it on here too!!!

David E Keller
06-07-2011, 7:16 PM
Congrats, Roger! Too bad Jackson didn't find a really burly tree to pray under...

Brian Brown
06-07-2011, 7:41 PM
Be sure to seal that stuff up good. It would be terrible to loose any of it to cracks. Be sure to document not only the finished pieces, but also the process, and who was involved. It will be a great way to promote the art of wood turning. I had an opportunity to do something similar when they remodeled our state capitol. They added on to the building, and had to cut down lots of historic trees, including the Teddy Roosevelt tree (maple). The trees were divided among woodworkers from around the state, to make furniture, and artworks for the new capitol building. I had just started turning, and didn't feel like I had anything to contribute. I wish I had the guts to try. Won't make that mistake again.

Tim Thiebaut
06-07-2011, 8:02 PM
Wow just one limb, yup you do have some work ahead of you guys. Best of luck, and congrats on getting the persmission needed for this!

Jack Mincey
06-07-2011, 8:19 PM
It's great that this deal worked out. It would have been ashame to see such an historic tree go unused. Now some of the history of this old tree can be preserved for many years to come. I've always been proud when people associate my name with two great Confederate generals. This fact makes this project even more special to see going on.
Good Luck,
Jackson Lee Mincey

Steve bellinger
06-07-2011, 8:27 PM
Roger so glad they let you do this. Like has been said make sure you document this as it is a very special tree.

Baxter Smith
06-07-2011, 8:30 PM
Glad things worked out Roger. Thanks for the present pictures and the future ones!

John Hart
06-07-2011, 8:34 PM
I'm envious. Holy Smokes....just to touch it would be a thrill. To turn it? I can't even imagine the feeling. That is just awesome. Rock-n-Roll :)

Roland Martin
06-07-2011, 8:49 PM
Hell of a deal Roger. Hope to see many pics.

Roger Chandler
06-07-2011, 9:24 PM
Hey Guys,

I just got in from sealing all the wood and stacking it off the ground. It will be protected, and the other loads we get will be placed in a secure area, very secure!

The newspaper reporter is going to come on Thursday to take photos, and update the story and I think may even do a series on this effort.........at least from what I heard, there is interest there. The family is documenting with pics.........they were taking them today when we were cutting, and we will get some as well.

Just had a conversation with a guy who has a chainsaw with a 42" bar, and he is a turner as well, so we are gearing up!

If it were not necessary to preserve the authenticity of the tree, and the owners are very particular about that, I would love to have the "creekers" get a piece of this, but unfortunately, I cannot...............:(

Pics will be forthcoming along the way..........I estimate there will be pieces being produced from this tree for the foundations and museums for the next 3 years......that is just my guess, but it is what I think because of the enormity of this white oak.

Roger Chandler
06-07-2011, 9:30 PM
Congrats, Roger! Too bad Jackson didn't find a really burly tree to pray under...

Oh, David...........don't tell anyone, but there are a few burls............I cut 3 today on just this one limb! Shhhh! :rolleyes::rolleyes::D:cool:

Steve Schlumpf
06-07-2011, 10:39 PM
Roger - this is most excellent news! Congrats! Like everyone has already mentioned - document everything with photos and make sure those who have contributed in this effort to retain history - are known as well.

I wish you the very best in seeing this through and I look forward to seeing the photos! Sounds like it would make for a great documentary! Anyone think of contacting National Geographic?

Roger Chandler
06-07-2011, 11:05 PM
Roger - this is most excellent news! Congrats! Like everyone has already mentioned - document everything with photos and make sure those who have contributed in this effort to retain history - are known as well.

I wish you the very best in seeing this through and I look forward to seeing the photos! Sounds like it would make for a great documentary! Anyone think of contacting National Geographic?

Steve,

I am going to have to learn to be a shutterbug............for all my married life [36 years] my wife has taken care of the pics......not something I am used to doing. I was going to take her camera along today, but I went off and forgot it, and only could give you the pics of the load I brought back.

National Geographic? I thought a big deal was being made by the local news paper............I don't know if this would be considered newsworthy enough that a turning club was going to take a tree and try to make some useful things to help the battlefield foundations...........I guess stranger things have happened..........the owners would have to be in on that decision.

We are still just at the beginning of this..........details and agreements have to be worked out with Virginia Military Institute, which operates the Jackson home and the Hall of Valor museum, and other possible venues have to be worked out.........we are just in the infancy of this..........no need to try to get agreements until we were sure we could get the tree.

I understand........pics. pics and more pics is going to have to be the order of the day every time we take a major step with this one............maybe we need a designated photographer and documentor!

Marty Eargle
06-08-2011, 6:01 AM
This is very, very cool and I'm glad you got the go ahead to turn this wood! I look forward to seeing the whole process unfold and VA is certainly close enough for me to make a drive up to any show you guys may end up putting together.

Keith E Byrd
06-08-2011, 7:12 AM
Being kind of a Civil War buff and a fan of Stonewall Jackson - this is really cool. Congratulations to you and your club. If you ever find a way to let the Creekers in on it.....
Increases my pride of being a member!

Jerry Rhoads
06-08-2011, 8:00 AM
That is going to be a whooole lot of wood! Too bad they do not want you to send it to others to help make things out of it. But I do understand how they want to keep an eye on it.
Maybe they would let you get the local Flat woodworkers and the carving clubs involved.
Though I would love to see all the woodturned items it would make.
Don't forget to cut some quartersawn, for platter blanks, and Offering bowls.

Jerry

Roger Chandler
06-08-2011, 8:06 AM
This one will have about 60 -75 turners in on turning things.............there is going to be a master list of authorized turners and every piece turned will be juried for quality for the museums and gift shops at them. Every piece will have an authentic brochure produced by our club that will chronicle the historical significance of this majestic white oak. It was our agreement to guard the authenticity of this wood, so as to keep a true collectors item a genuine treasure.

It will take some time to get all this processed, but we knew that going in, and decided that we had the resources and manpower to pull off such a feat, and we are hoping to do a lot of good by our efforts.

Tim Rinehart
06-08-2011, 8:14 AM
Roger,
Can't tell you how pleased I am to hear that news, especially after your initial assumption of getting access was slim.
I'm sure you and the others will do justice for this piece of history

Peter Elliott
06-08-2011, 8:44 AM

This is right up "Ken Burns" (http://www.pbs.org/kenburns/) alley from PBS...
Someone should email him

Ed Morgano
06-08-2011, 9:56 AM
Roger,
This is an enormus effort and you are to be condratulated. It's really a great thing to perserve some of our history.

Gary Herrmann
06-08-2011, 1:26 PM
Watching this with interest. I married into a fiercely southern family 20 years ago. This yankee was only accepted when it was seen he knew how to use tools to make things.

charlie knighton
06-08-2011, 4:10 PM
Roger, you may not know but many of the stumps of today in my home county were decendants of the trees of the colonial period, and in their day were stumps. one of our favorite sons was a famous stump-jumper, Patrick Henry.

Roger Chandler
06-08-2011, 4:49 PM
Roger, you may not know but many of the stumps of today in my home county were decendants of the trees of the colonial period, and in their day were stumps. one of our favorite sons was a famous stump-jumper, Patrick Henry.

Yeah Charlie.........I am aware of your neck of the woods.............my mother was born in Patrick county, and I was born not far from where you are...............I still like standing for liberty!!! ;)

Donny Lawson
06-08-2011, 5:06 PM
Congrats on the permission. I hope you share alot of pics with us all.

Roger Chandler
06-08-2011, 5:43 PM
Congrats on the permission. I hope you share alot of pics with us all.

Donny,

I bought a new SD card for the wife's Pentax today............that way I can keep them all on a separate disk. Now, when we go to do something with this, I just need to remember to take the camera and snap some pics...........