PDA

View Full Version : Mesquite & Holly (aka Chunkey Monkey)

Baxter Smith
06-07-2011, 3:48 PM
This winter Jerry Marcantel offered to send me some cholla cactus to put on the lathe. Not being one to turn down wood(or something sort of like it) I couldn’t resist. A month or so later this package arrived.

What I thought would be a piece to try......., ended up being the whole cactus! It had been carefully cut up and numbered to fit into the box… but all ready for reassembly.
Also inside was a small mesquite crotch.
Since I had just started the week long process of applying finish to a vase, I was looking for something else to turn. Didn’t quite know how to proceed with the cactus, but the mesquite seemed interesting. Stuck it on the lathe thinking some kind of HF with some local holly for accents . As I turned away the checking in the ends, it became apparent that I wasn’t going to get rid of all of it. For some unknown reason, I started thinking about a raised collar and matching bottom. I didn't remember seeing one like that (and was thinking there’s probably a good reason why) but proceeded anyway!
Wanted to try some simple curves on the top and bottom holly so ended up with these …. even though I was questioning the lengths and thicknesses from the start.(and rightly so!) I told Jerry that I would post a pic when finished but……:o

Finished all three of these at the same time so took a
picture but never posted.
Thought I might try and either touch up the top and bottom of the HF or just do a new finial and pedestal.

After 5 weeks I had done neither:o when a couple days ago I receive another box in the mail from Arizona!
Inside was a custom chuck plate and a piece of desert ironwood. Very neat!!! :)

I am not sure if the chunky monkey is finished or not… but..at least ...I haven't blown it up trying to return it. Thank You Jerry for some cool things!

John Hart
06-07-2011, 3:55 PM
Geez Baxter...You sure took some cool pictures. Fun story and nice pieces.....I hope to be there for the end!...Or maybe this is the end? Dunno. I'm so confused.
Whatcha gonna do with the cactus?

robert raess
06-07-2011, 3:58 PM
Really like the cherry burl vase! I had someone request some cholla the other day.I told them i'd have to go on a hike, so it would be a while.Do you have a design in mind for the cholla? ..Rob

Steve bellinger
06-07-2011, 4:08 PM
Great looking pieces.Really really like that vase though.:cool::cool::cool:

charlie knighton
06-07-2011, 4:31 PM
great looking mesquite and holly

David E Keller
06-07-2011, 6:45 PM
Very cool, Baxter. I love the cherry form, and I like the mesquite piece as well... The holly takes a little getting used to. That Jerry is a good guy, and you've reminded me that I've failed to keep up my end of a deal with Jerry. Sorry, Jerry!

Dennis Ford
06-07-2011, 7:03 PM
They all look good, the vase is my favorite of the three.

David DeCristoforo
06-07-2011, 7:03 PM
These are nice looking pieces. The large HF is very nice! I would love to see a profile pic of the middle piece in the first pic...

Jim Burr
06-07-2011, 8:01 PM
The cherry is really cool, but I really like how you were able to keep the catus so round!:D
...and the piercing work...you are an animal with a drill!:D;) They are all great chunks Baxter...the holly base and finial are very clean. Looks like you'll be busy!

Baxter Smith
06-07-2011, 8:53 PM
Geez Baxter...You sure took some cool pictures. Fun story and nice pieces.....I hope to be there for the end!...Or maybe this is the end? Dunno. I'm so confused.
Whatcha gonna do with the cactus?
Confused? Me too! Shows what sometimes happens when I don't have much of a plan and didn't listen to the little voices along the way! Maybe I will post this in another thread later for suggestions. Just wanted to say thanks to Jerry for this one. Had put it off long enough!:)
........Do you have a design in mind for the cholla? ..Rob
No definite plan in mind. Have spent my turning time lately getting some gifts and roughouts done before the heat starts cooking things! Looks like I have an adequate amount to experiment with!

I would love to see a profile pic of the middle piece in the first pic...
The only other side pic I took is this one David. It was a piece of maple from the woodpile I roughed out in the spring of 2010. I mounted it on a faceplate to begin, thinking it was going to be a bowl. After seeing the spalting, I decided on a hollowform but had to expand the opening to get rid of the screw holes from the faceplate.
Thanks for commenting and thanks again Jerry! How is desert ironwood for taking detail?

Michael James
06-07-2011, 8:58 PM
Very cool post! Jerry M is quite generous with his desert treasures. Thanks for posting.
mj

Roland Martin
06-07-2011, 9:00 PM
The picture of the trio is awesome, Baxter. All really nice turnings.

David DeCristoforo
06-07-2011, 10:05 PM
I like the "low profile" one a lot. But the big HF is the winner here for me. I really like those "see through" pieces! The pedestal form has a bit of a "Hart" thing going on. Maybe like something he might do if he kicked lacquer... I do like the light wood base and finial. If the wood was a bit darker there would be more contrast.

Steve Schlumpf
06-08-2011, 11:33 AM
Baxter - congrats on all the wood! Nice work on everything - especially the large hollow form! Hope you post that in a separate thread with additional photos!

You are going to love using Jerry's Chuck Plate! Sure is easier to rotate a blank while roughing so you can find the optimum grain configuration! Have fun!