PDA

View Full Version : Bowl from a deadfall

Scott Lux
06-06-2011, 11:11 PM
Lots of people lost trees during the ice storm this year, I snagged a crotch piece from a neighbor and promised them a bowl from it. I'm pretty sure it's maple, but as it had no leaves when it fell, I can't be certain.

It's got a little bit of everything going on: chatoyance, bark inclusions, feathers, bug tracks, staining, and a little curl. I turned it green, and let it warp.

It's 6" x 3.5" with 1/4" walls getting thicker toward the bottom. It's bottom heavy, the bottom is just over 1/2" thick. (The donor neighbor has cats, I figured it might stay on the shelf it had some heft.) Finish is rattle-can Polycrylic, cured a week then MM.

It did jump of the lathe once while I was turning off the tenon, but I was able to glue the pieces back in and re-finish it. The cracks are still visible, but only barely. Of course they're glaring to me, but my wife can't find them and I showed her where they are.

Comments and Critiques please. I don't think I like the form, so I'm not going to be offended. I'd never tried an ogee before. Now I know why.

charlie knighton
06-07-2011, 2:58 AM
i like it, your neighbor will like it, the cat will like it somedays and ignore it other days

thanks for sharing

John Keeton
06-07-2011, 7:25 AM
Scott, it does look like maple, and you did a very nice job with it. The ogee form is challenging, and one that I have played with quite a bit in an attempt to conquer it. Developing a good ogee is so much easier to put on paper than to cut into a chunk of wood. In this bowl, there may be too much belly for the outturned lip, but it still works! The neighbor will love it, I am sure

Doug W Swanson
06-07-2011, 7:39 AM
Nice looking bowl. If your neighbor doesn't like it you can send it my way!

Michelle Rich
06-07-2011, 8:00 AM
the bowl height/width ratio really didn't allow for a real nice ogee..so what you got looks fine. I think your neighbor will be very happy with it

Scott Lux
06-07-2011, 8:10 AM
the bowl height/width ratio really didn't allow for a real nice ogee..so what you got looks fine. I think your neighbor will be very happy with it

Michelle, too tall?

bob svoboda
06-07-2011, 8:51 AM
Good work, Scott. Ogee is a tough one, but you pulled it off.