PDA

View Full Version : first platter and a ambrosia bowl

Jim Ketron
02-09-2005, 7:37 PM
Here is my first platter I cut it off of a bowl blank that was a little too thick and didnt want to waste it by turning it away I posted the bowl a few weeks back
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=16055&highlight=bowl
its a little too small for a platter but at 9"x1" its about all the Jet mini can handle
It has some nice curl in it . I soaked it in alky for 24 hrs then let it dry for over 3 weeks and had very little movement:) I plan to use this method to make some more soon! the finish is no finish just Beall buffed

And the bottom pics is the finished bowl that I posted a few weeks ago.
titled The little blank that no one wanted
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=16029
Its 7" x 2 1/2" with 1/4" walls and same as above no finish just buffed on the Beall
Jim

Glenn Hodges
02-09-2005, 7:47 PM
It might be my bifocals, but the pictures seem a little fuzzy. I bet they don't do the work justice. The top piece looks to have some nice character in it, and I sure like that ambrosia maple no one wanted. I put the first coat of finish on my first ambrosia maple bowl today. Expect pictures next week.

Michael Stafford
02-09-2005, 7:59 PM
Jim, both pieces are very good. Your skills are really coming along and you are ready for the 3524!!! :D

Jim Ketron
02-09-2005, 8:55 PM
Sorry my pics are not very good.
got to work on that!

Big Mike
yep Im ready for that Big yellow PM 3520 lathe!:D
But Im going to have to get the lathe fund going again Im almost half way there,
need to generate some more funds. :D
Jim

John Miliunas
02-09-2005, 9:28 PM
Jim, I like both pieces equally as well! Then again, I'm kind of a sucker for Ambrosia to begin with. That notwithstanding, very nice job on both!:) Oh, and 9" for a platter is fine, IMHO. Bigger may be more impressive, but the nice shape and wood choice make up for that. Keep it up! :) :cool:

Jeff Sudmeier
02-10-2005, 8:08 AM
They both look great! It's great to see that you are getting some use out of that maple as well...

Steve Inniss
02-10-2005, 9:49 AM
Jim, Great job on both, love that platter. -Steve