PDA

View Full Version : Doggie doo tubes

Pat Shirkey
06-06-2011, 3:03 PM
Hi all
I have a Scout that is doing his Eagle Project - doggie doo tubes- using 4" PVC pipe. They have asked me if I could engrave the directions on the the tube. I told them NOOOOO!!! I have suggested using DuraBlack from Horizons - but they would prefer something engraved. Is there any other type of 4" pipe that can be engraved? Thanks for any help. BTW - anyone going to the NBM show in Indy?

Rodne Gold
06-06-2011, 3:16 PM
I thought the deposit here and take one applied to the poo!!!
Engrave something like spectrum lights if it has to have an engraved label. The sticker is , imho , the best option.

Dane Fuller
06-06-2011, 3:34 PM
I thought the deposit here and take one applied to the poo!!!...

Haha, me too!

Gary Hair
06-06-2011, 4:01 PM
The business person in me is surprised that someone was charging them $5.50 for stickers. I would find someone with a rotary engraver that has a rotary attachment that can engrave around the pipe. If that's not possible then I would have laminated labels made to stick on them, but they would have to be much less than $5.50 for a set, I'm thinking they should be less than a couple of bucks.

Gary

Chuck Stone
06-06-2011, 4:44 PM
I thought the deposit here and take one applied to the poo!!!

Same here.. I was looking at the tube and wondering if it was some sort
of manual extraction device. Good luck getting Fido's co-operation..

Frank Corker
06-06-2011, 5:38 PM
I too thought the same. Might suggest you tell them to change 'Deposit here' to 'Place new bags here' - or they are going to end up with a pipe full of sh.............

Martin Boekers
06-06-2011, 6:20 PM
Chance are printed stickers are going to fade quickly outdoors. I assume this is for outdoors.

Second question, how are these going to stand upright? There may be quite a few regulations
on that portion. Any guards against theft or vandalism?

How many are you making?

The edges look a bit rough make sure that they are smooth so someone doesn't cut themself.

If there are quite a few of them, have them/or decals screen printed as they will hold up better in the elements.

One last thing if there is a possiblity of them holding water many communities may
frown on it as it could be an insect breeding ground.

Not to put a damper on the project, but there are a few things that should be addressed.

Hope this helps.

Dane Fuller
06-06-2011, 6:21 PM
I too thought the same. Might suggest you tell them to change 'Deposit here' to 'Place new bags here' - or they are going to end up with a pipe full of sh.............

Okay, I really did LOL...

David Fairfield
06-06-2011, 6:44 PM
Hah. Reminds me of a reference book I saw on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Avoid-Huge-Ships-John-Trimmer/dp/0870334336/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1307399976&sr=8-1

Read the most helpful review. LOL

Pat Shirkey
06-06-2011, 7:36 PM
OMG!!! You guys are all toooo funny!!! Thanks for making my day. I am not making these, just trying to help them - I have a soft spot for the Boy Scouts. Both my sons were in it and my youngest (he's 26 now) is an Eagle Scout. Rodney, what are spectrum lights? Frank, I like your suggestion of changing deposit here to place new bags here - less chance of someone actually doing what was suggested here. David, I am going to have to get that book for my husband. We live by Lake Huron and there are always a lot of really big boats here...lol Thank you all for the help.

Larry Bratton
06-06-2011, 8:11 PM
Hah. Reminds me of a reference book I saw on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Avoid-Huge-Ships-John-Trimmer/dp/0870334336/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1307399976&sr=8-1

Read the most helpful review. LOL

Hahaha..that REVIEW...now that's funny..I don't care who ya are!

AL Ursich
06-06-2011, 8:17 PM

The same people that deposit the Poo in the top expecting it to magically go away are the same one's that call the Highway Department Or Ranger and ask that the "Deer Crossing" Sign near there house be moved.....

AL

Richard Rumancik
06-07-2011, 11:27 AM
I don't think this is a job for a laser engraver. You can make all sorts of stickers suitable for outdoors. It is only B/W so color fading is not much an issue, just adhesive quality. Perhaps it would be better to just make one sticker (narrower and taller) with all the info, rather than 3 separate stickers. I would lay out the graphics vertically so it does not wrap so much. Sorry, but some things were not meant to be laser engraved.

George D Gabert
06-07-2011, 1:01 PM
Could you make them a stencil that they can spray paint the lettering with. The plastic paint is pretty durable.

GDG

Rodne Gold
06-07-2011, 1:14 PM
Richard is right , I would offer a premium 7 year outdoor digitally printed vinyl overlaminated sticker at around $9 per sq ft , and that label cant be more than 1/4 of that size , $2.50 at worst , I would charge a lotbmore on my laser to rotary engrave it - it would have to be paint filled as well to be readable .. i think engraving it is a cr-p idea :)

Neil Pabia
06-07-2011, 8:56 PM
All I can say is that I can barely get my dogs to stay much less use something like this.

Bill Cunningham
06-09-2011, 9:23 PM
Why not use Black Plastic drain pipe.. Their not PVC at least not in Canada.. I think its ABS which melts. but laserable.. A quick trip to any hardware store should answer the question..

paul mott
06-10-2011, 3:06 AM
Interesting how things are seen differently in different countries.

I think Frank is quite right - put one of those up in the UK and the filled bags would get deposited back into the top of the tube. Many people would just not understand the correct usage without a much more detailed explanation.

Paul.

Richard Rumancik
06-10-2011, 11:04 AM
I wonder if they wanted a green tube to reflect the "recycling" aspect - although it is not traditional "environment green".

If you engrave black PVC pipe it will probably turn orange or gold colored. At least there would be some contrast. And you would not have to penetrate the material to any extent to get the color. But it would still have low contrast.

If it was laser engraved the graphics should be re-formatted long and narrow to reduce job time as this would have to be done on a rotary. So if someone really insists on doing this as a laser job that is the way to go. But I still think a narrow label that goes from hole to hole would be the best appearance and make the project look more professional. Sometimes you just have to tell the customer that the laser is not the right tool for the job. Or you could outsource and perhaps make a few dollars re-doing the graphics and working with the label manufacturer.

Trevor Howard
06-10-2011, 12:26 PM
I am no engraver, but it seems you have two issues here, the material and the curved surface.
Would a section of Vinyl 4x4 post not eliminate the curved surface problem?

AL Ursich
06-10-2011, 1:45 PM
I realize money is an issue here and cheaper is better.... And $5.00 for a sticker is out of the budget and Green is the theme.....

With that in mind, I would have gone with Rectangular Composite/PVC Skin Porch Rails in one of the many colors they come in. Being Rectangle, it would lend itself to inexpensive Rotary Engraving on the flat surface. The top cap could be one of the many offered or simply cut on a angle and a wooden sloped roof could have been made. The Wooden Roof Sloped toward the front could contain the message V Carved in one of the many cheap CNC machines like the CarveWright. The Bottom could be a simple wood board cut to fit flush inside the bottom with holes to keep the water from collecting or even insert a board with a smaller hole eliminating the lower cut hole in the surface of the Rail. So one hole on the face near the top and a hole in the bottom board plug to pull out the bags.

Now that is something I would be proud to display. I may consider adding something like that to my product line....

AL

David Takes
06-11-2011, 1:47 PM
I would have them contact someone with a Gerber Edge and have them make reverse thermal printed Lexan labels. These labels will be durable and professional looking.

Pat Shirkey
06-14-2011, 12:37 PM
Thanks everyone.... so many ideas and ways to do 1 thing.. amazing.. I will keep you informed as to what they decide. Thanks again.