PDA

View Full Version : Ebony handeled Fine Joinery Saw "Ultimate Edition"

Klaus Kretschmar
06-06-2011, 2:29 PM
Hi Creekers,

in April we (Pedder and me) got a generous offer from a SMC member to trade one of our customized saws against a bundle of vintage American handsaws. It was Mark Wyatt who did this offer after he read in another post that vintage American saws are hard to get in Germany and if they are to be got, then rather expensive. He offered 8 or 10 saws for one of ours! We couldn't but agree. The deal was 8 vintage American saws against one of our dovetail saws.

The following days he sent pics of the saws he proposed by telling us that we were free to choose those we wanted of the shown ones. What Mark showed was most impressing. Those saws were all in decent condition and rather worthy ones. Amongst the first he offered were for example a very nice Disston 112, a D-12, an Acme 120, a D-8 with thumbhole handle, a D-7 in flawless condition and so on. Really amazing tools. After having seen the tools he was willing to throw in the deal, Pedder and I decided to upgrade the charge we wanted to pay by making 2 saws for Mark.

To make a long story short, in the first days of May I recieved a huge package from Mark with 12 (!) wonderful saws. The deal was 8! He's a very generous man for sure. One of the customized saws, he got already, I want to show here with Mark's kind permission. The other one is still in production.

It's a Fine Joinery Saw on the highest level of workmanship that Pedder and I are able to produce. It has an ovlly shaped spine which is hand filed and hand polished. The Ebony handle is crafted with high attention to the detail. It's sanded up to grit 1,200 and got then a coat of dark blue pigmented poppy oil. The pigmented oil darkens the colour to nearly pitch black. After the oil is completely dried the wood will be polished in a certain way which is only possible with Ebony. So the wood itself -not a finish- gets really shiny. The making of such a saw takes more than twice the time compared to the making of a standard dovetail saw with rectangular spine and a handle out of a standard wood. A little MOP inlay on the top of the handle gives the dark wood a nice touch, as we think. We call the design "Ultimate Edition".

Here are some pics:

Thank you Mark for proposing and doing the wonderful trade. Enjoy the saw in good health!

Klaus

Zahid Naqvi
06-06-2011, 2:41 PM
Once I recover from my seizure, would you trade one of these saws for my first born :eek:

David Weaver
06-06-2011, 2:43 PM
Really exceptional work, gentlemen. We've just about come to expect it from you every time, now!

Jim Koepke
06-06-2011, 3:25 PM
Once I recover from my seizure, would you trade one of these saws for my first born

Zahid, you beat me to it.

Any chance you guys might need a couple of first borns?

jtk

Bruce Page
06-06-2011, 3:39 PM
How about a grandchild or two?

Exceptional craftsmanship!

george wilson
06-06-2011, 3:41 PM
Great work!!! Great attention to detail and finish.

Jim Neeley
06-06-2011, 3:56 PM
Outstanding!! :D

Tony Shea
06-06-2011, 4:28 PM
Oh Mark is a lucky guy. That is probably the most beautiful saw I've ever seen. I'd honestly almost be a bit intimidated in using such a fine saw as the work produced couldn't live up to it. Really wonderful guys.

Brian Kent
06-06-2011, 4:40 PM
What a thrill to see people do their very top workmanship!

Mark Wyatt
06-06-2011, 4:43 PM
I'm truly honored to hold such a fine piece of craftsmanship. And, so far, I just hold the saw and stare at it. Actually, it is so well designed to fit my hand, I don't really have to hold it; it is a natural extension of my arm. To have a tool custom made to your hand dimensions is incredible.

Thank you Klaus and Pedder.

David Keller NC
06-06-2011, 4:53 PM
It's sanded up to grit 1,200 and got then a coat of dark blue pigmented poppy oil. The pigmented oil darkens the colour to nearly pitch black. After the oil is completely dried the wood will be polished in a certain way which is only possible with Ebony.

Nice work, guys. I'm not sure where one would source "dark blue pigmented poppy oil" (sounds illegal!) :D

Pam Niedermayer
06-06-2011, 5:10 PM
Beautiful saw, just beautiful; but the most impressive attribute to me is that it appears to be so well balanced that it stands up on the teeth and one handle bit by itself. If this saw is somehow invisibly braced for the photography, please don't tell me. :)

Pam

Johnny Kleso
06-06-2011, 5:19 PM
Wow Nice Looking Saw.......

george wilson
06-06-2011, 5:32 PM
Poppy oil is available through artist's supply houses.

Chris Vandiver
06-06-2011, 6:49 PM
Stunning!!!!!!!

Mark Wyatt
06-06-2011, 7:03 PM
I can confirm that it does indeed stand on it's own.

Leigh Betsch
06-06-2011, 7:49 PM
My first born is taken but I'm willing to work on another one.

Joe McMahon
06-06-2011, 8:46 PM
While this saw is indeed magnificent to behold, I can assure you that they cut just as fine as they look. I am the proud owner of two of their dovetail saws and they cut in a manner that is beyond words.

Pam Niedermayer
06-06-2011, 9:11 PM
I can confirm that it does indeed stand on it's own.

That's so cool.

Pam

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
06-06-2011, 9:28 PM
That's beautiful.

I have to say, as amazing as this looks; having done enough guitar work with ebony (fretboards and bridges and stuff) the handle-work has got to look twice as good in person and in hand; once you start polishing ebony up to that point, photos no longer do it justice - it can almost look plastic in photos, but only in person do you realize the subtle texture and feel and actual warmth of the wood. Throw a little piece of MOP in there, and it's amazing. When you get ebony to the point where you can see reflections, it's just gorgeous.

fine, fine work gentlemen!

gary Zimmel
06-06-2011, 11:10 PM
Sweet, real, real sweet....

Andrew Gibson
06-06-2011, 11:42 PM
I have a kidney and part of a liver I could trade :)

Zach England
06-07-2011, 12:05 AM
I'll take two.

Klaus Kretschmar
06-07-2011, 5:01 AM
Thank you a lot for the kudos, Lady and Gentlemen! We do appreciate them much.

BTW, first borns both of us have, but ... hmmm ... grand children we are lacking so far ...:D

Mark: please put the saw to work. It's made to be used. I'm rather sure that you'll like it's performance. At least Pedder and I liked it while doing the test cuts.

Klaus

Mike Davis NC
06-07-2011, 6:18 AM
perfection.

I can only imagine owning such a fine tool.

john brenton
06-07-2011, 11:09 AM
Please tell me that auger bits and plane irons are hard to find there too!

George Beck
06-14-2011, 9:12 AM
Outstanding Klaus! Beautiful! I have to say to the forum, I have two of Klaus and Pedders saws and they are beautiful but the cut is just short of amazing. The only saw I have that makes a finer cut is a Juntaro Mitsukawa hand made dozuki. However it is a delicate little saw. The .012 plate on my saws is very fine and leaves a kerf very much like a fine japanese saw but easier( for me ) to cut to a line. These saws just want to cut straight. The balance is as nice as I have ever used. I am awaiting (happily) my third saw in Karilian birch.

George

George Beck
06-14-2011, 1:04 PM
Of course you realize that showing pictures like this on sawmill creek is like showing naked strippers and piles of cocaine to Charlie Sheen.

bob blakeborough
06-14-2011, 2:02 PM
Absolutely breath taking... *Slow Clap*

Klaus Kretschmar
06-15-2011, 7:27 AM
Of course you realize that showing pictures like this on sawmill creek is like showing naked strippers and piles of cocaine to Charlie Sheen.

:D:D:D:D:D

Klaus