PDA

View Full Version : What machining operation makes youthe most nervous?

dave toney
06-06-2011, 12:29 PM
I find that using a raised panel and back cutter to be the most "puckering" operation I commonly do.
How about you?

David Romano
06-06-2011, 12:36 PM
Using the table saw with large pieces of work. Cross cutting more so than ripping. A cross cut sled makes a big difference, but if the piece is large in both dimensions, it can get a little scary. I work alone in a small shop.

Oh, add to that any operation involving a power tool and mosquitos!

David

Brett Robson
06-06-2011, 12:42 PM
I'd say free-hand routing a curved piece on the router table. That first contact with the bit as you pivot the workpiece around the starting pin to begin the cut makes me really nervous. I've had the bit yank the wood out of my hands and fling it across the shop before.

Jim Rimmer
06-06-2011, 12:52 PM
Using the table saw with large pieces of work. Cross cutting more so than ripping. A cross cut sled makes a big difference, but if the piece is large in both dimensions, it can get a little scary. I work alone in a small shop. David

+1 for large pieces.

C Scott McDonald
06-06-2011, 12:53 PM
When I was in a producton woodshop I think it was the shaper for sure. Even with careful setup it could go from 0 to runaway! in a blink of an eye.

Mike Davis NC
06-06-2011, 1:34 PM
Never used a shaper so the router is my worst. Always hated them. Only time I ever got damaged was on a router table. Clipped the end of my finger when a board decided to run away.

Jeff Monson
06-06-2011, 1:53 PM
My least favorite is ripping with the tablesaw those wet, twisted 2x4's that menards sells.
My 2nd least favorite is climb cutting figured wood on my 5hp shaper.
My 3rd least favorite is the end cuts when raising panels, especially when I use the handheld router.

Those 3 really get my undies in a bunch.

Bill Huber
06-06-2011, 2:16 PM
I'd say free-hand routing a curved piece on the router table. That first contact with the bit as you pivot the workpiece around the starting pin to begin the cut makes me really nervous. I've had the bit yank the wood out of my hands and fling it across the shop before.

I agree with that, what I have started doing it putting a larger bearing on the bit so that I am just taking off a very little. The go to the next smaller bearing and take off a little more. It takes time to switch the bearings but it sure feels a lot better.

Bill Huber
06-06-2011, 2:24 PM
I will go with the climb cut, I hate doing that and I will do anything I can do to keep from it.

The other thing is when I have to route against the grain.

Prashun Patel
06-06-2011, 2:32 PM
Narrow rips on the tablesaw where the skinny pieces is between the fence and blade.

Mike Ruggeri
06-06-2011, 4:29 PM
Agree - narrow rips on tablesaw when there really isn't enough room for a push stick. I usually try my best to avoid those and usually find a way to make the cut differently.

Brian Kent
06-06-2011, 4:37 PM
Anything that has the words "freehand" and "Router" in the same sentence.

Gene Howe
06-06-2011, 4:56 PM

+1. And more so when they are small! Scary!!!

Michael Peet
06-06-2011, 6:37 PM
[...] router is my worst. Always hated them.

This ^

Mike

glenn bradley
06-06-2011, 6:44 PM
I'll chime in with narrow strips on the tablesaw. Even though there are methods that make this safe and reliable, it still gives me pause.

Maybe a helpful tip; always begin these types of cuts so that the cutter is running "downhill" grain-direction-wise. This will help avoid the "catch" that turns jewelry box tops into flying saucers. My new motto is; if you have to route into the grain, get a different bit or do it a different way ;-)

Larry Edgerton
06-06-2011, 7:20 PM
If something does not feel right I just don't do it. I wasn't always this way, and have the scars to prove it.

I don't have a router table because I just don't think they are safe. I prefer a shaper, seems odd I know, but I feel it is much safer.
I use routers all the time freehand, and I can't see the problem if you have your workpiece secured. Two hand firmly on the router, where can anything go wrong? If you use one enough you know what it is going to do all the time.

What I am having a problem with it heights. I was working on a fourth floor roof today on a beachhouse, a ladder on two sections of scaffold, on a second floor deck. I am just too dang old for this stuff! I just could not get comfortable, and tense is not good. So I would climb 32 steps, then climb up two sections of scaffold, then up the ladder to the roof. And then find out I needed something else.........

Neil Brooks
06-06-2011, 7:30 PM
Using the Random Orbital Sander.

Because ... I act on the assumption that I've figured out most of the ways that all of my other power tools could take a bite out of me, but ... the ROS ... its lethality still escapes me ;)

Jim Neeley
06-06-2011, 7:36 PM
The first time spraying TransTint dye on a solid oak coffee table I was making with my son.. outside, of course... during the winter.. and about minus 10F. We sprayed it mixed with straight alcohol so as to not have to worry about freezing per se but... we had about 40 hours apiece & about $400 in materials invested.. and our first "real" spray job...

..and she wanted it stained to match some existing furniture. Pure Pucker! <g>

Victor Robinson
06-06-2011, 7:39 PM
Large pieces of ply on the tablesaw. I'm honestly not sure how much I can get injured in a kickback event vs. stalling the 3hp saw, but anytime I hear the cutting noise change slightly while cutting large ply pieces I get nervous, even if there's a guard with pawls in place.

J.R. Rutter
06-06-2011, 9:35 PM
When I got to the point where I had to hire employees, the machinery setups quickly evolved to the point where any normal operation is safe and easy. I can put a new employee on climb cutting with no worries. The only sketchy operations left involve machining tiny parts - like a door with 2" long rails. Even there, I jig up and keep those fingers well away from the shredder. So in a nutshell, any time that i need to work around the built-in safety features makes me nervous.

Ole Anderson
06-06-2011, 9:55 PM
Big raised panel bits on my router table. And cutting small pieces on my miter saw with fingers too close to the blade with no other quick way to hold the piece.

ed vitanovec
06-06-2011, 10:50 PM
Using my shaper the make free handed raised arched panel tops, expecially if the panel is narrow.

Bob Riefer
06-07-2011, 8:33 AM
I'm new, so I haven't tried a lot of the things you guys are talking about, but so far, if any activity gives me the slightest pause, I assume I must not know what I'm doing. So I stop, and figure out a different way to do the task. Sometimes that means a delay of 5 minutes, sometimes a delay of a week or more. But so far, so good.

So, I guess my point is... for the things you guys have listed as making you nervous so far, do you have any pointers that us newer woodworkers might benefit from when the time comes?

Harvey Melvin Richards
06-07-2011, 10:37 AM
My biggest pucker is always watching one of the guys working for me using the table saw or router.

mreza Salav
06-07-2011, 11:34 AM
Agree - narrow rips on tablesaw when there really isn't enough room for a push stick. I usually try my best to avoid those and usually find a way to make the cut differently.

I've built this simple push stick which allows me to rip as thin as 1/4" pieces.
The photo is from my previous table saw but I built a new one for the fence of my new tablesaw.

My biggest scare comes from free-hand routing pieces on the router table without a fence and especially when that big panel raising bit is spinning!!

george wilson
06-07-2011, 11:39 AM
I don't do this any more,but used to resaw with the table saw,with the blade at max. height,sticking up above the fence.

Tom Ewell
06-07-2011, 12:36 PM
Sawing logs of unkown origin, you just know that there is a buried horseshoe in there somewhere.
Standing on a ladder and plunge cutting a skillsaw into wall sheathing.
Checking out the limitations of a Gripper for the first time.
Don't do it any more but ripping with a radial arm saw.

Chris Fournier
06-07-2011, 12:44 PM
Others have said this in a different way but I would say that I don't do any machining in my shop that makes me nervous. If I'm nervous about a machining operation it's because I have not figured out how to do it safely and repeatably. Once you invest in a process and figure out how to fixture, feed and keep yourself out of harms way, there is no need to be nervous.

I do get nervous when a project nears completion and I have a lot invested in it timewise! Usually I am nervous about how I have left it hanging or standing in a ridiculously precarious and careless manner.

dave toney
06-07-2011, 1:07 PM
Others have said this in a different way but I would say that I don't do any machining in my shop that makes me nervous. If I'm nervous about a machining operation it's because I have not figured out how to do it safely and repeatably. Once you invest in a process and figure out how to fixture, feed and keep yourself out of harms way, there is no need to be nervous.

I do get nervous when a project nears completion and I have a lot invested in it timewise! Usually I am nervous about how I have left it hanging or standing in a ridiculously precarious and careless manner.

I understand about making an error towards the end of a project with a lot of time invested.
I don't have a power feeder on my shaper, so running raised panels with a back cutter means there has to be a large cutter exposed and ready to eat my fingers, so I am always extremely focused on controlling the panel I am holding.
I don't do anything that is inherently unsafe, but many operations in woodworking have a potential for danger, and that can never be totally removed.
The most dangerous situation one can be in is one where you feel perfectly safe.

Rod Sheridan
06-07-2011, 1:16 PM
I don't have a power feeder on my shaper, so running raised panels with a back cutter means there has to be a large cutter exposed and ready to eat my fingers, so I am always extremely focused on controlling the panel I am holding.

Hi Dave, you can make a wood box guard so that there is no exposed cutter on the shaper, or use a "Shaw Guard" or Euro shaper type guard.

On my NA shaper I had 2 different sizes of box guards made out of plywood for panel raising, and for template shaping.

I now have a Euro shaper with the Euro guard, and it does a good job of guarding the cutters when hand feeding, I'm sure you can buy one as an accessory, or of course make yourself one.

There's no point in taking chances with an exposed cutter...............regards, Rod.

Jim Rimmer
06-07-2011, 1:19 PM
I use this to clamp small parts for freehand routing on my router table. Some that have seen it suggested a handle and I may do that but keeping my hands on the back keep them away from the bit.

Chris Fournier
06-07-2011, 1:28 PM
I understand about making an error towards the end of a project with a lot of time invested.
I don't do anything that is inherently unsafe, but many operations in woodworking have a potential for danger, and that can never be totally removed.
The most dangerous situation one can be in is one where you feel perfectly safe.

I would agree Rod. I have a power feeder on my shaper because it would make me feel nervous otherwise! I don't use the power feeder for every operation on the shaper though, in many instances the stock hold down works just fine.

"The most dangerous situation one can be in is one where you feel perfectly safe." Quote RS

Not being nervous and feeling perfectly safe are horses of a different colour. I try not to take my safety for granted, I am safe because I am diligent and by safe I mean as safe as I can be! It is the foolishly unanticipated dangers that usually bite me the hardest, like wearing flip flops around my lumber rack! Now that makes me nervous.

pat warner
06-07-2011, 4:10 PM
An absolute shame the subject is worthy of note.
Imagine another hobby with this level of risk?
Scared of woodworking machines? I was, everyone of them can amputate, who woudn't be?
Now, essentially no fear, just respect, especially when you using my fixturing. (http://patwarner.com/images/tswebb4759.jpg)

dave toney
06-07-2011, 5:46 PM
Hi Dave, you can make a wood box guard so that there is no exposed cutter on the shaper, or use a "Shaw Guard" or Euro shaper type guard.

On my NA shaper I had 2 different sizes of box guards made out of plywood for panel raising, and for template shaping.

I now have a Euro shaper with the Euro guard, and it does a good job of guarding the cutters when hand feeding, I'm sure you can buy one as an accessory, or of course make yourself one.

There's no point in taking chances with an exposed cutter...............regards, Rod.

Thanks for the tip Rod.
I am a 30 year professional woodbutcher, but it is never too late to improve my woodworking safety.
I apprenticed in a company that had been in business since 1890 making antique reproductions.
Most of the machines there had no modern safety devices at all. and some of the old timers had missing fingers, almost all of them lost them on a shaper.
Dave

Mike Cruz
06-07-2011, 6:14 PM
No doubt anything on the shaper, for sure. Free handing on it especially.

Aaron Berk
06-07-2011, 7:06 PM
panel raising on my 14" RAS

Oh yeah..... but I love the nervous energy .....

paul dyar
06-07-2011, 10:02 PM
Plunge cuts.

george wilson
06-07-2011, 10:18 PM
I just do not like shapers. In the millwork shop in Williamsburg,one time someone was shaping the cutout for a sink top in a counter. It grabbed,and sent the whole counter top like a frisbee across the shop. No one got hit,luckily. Another time in the same shop, another guy (who I KNOW is an idiot) had not sufficiently tightened down some 2" tall HSS cutters made of flat HSS about 3/8" thick. One of them came loose and hit him right in the chest,ON THE FLAT,lucky for him. Later on,they switched to "safety cutter HSS" which had little serrations on the edges that engaged teeth in the shaper's head.

On another occasion, this guy applied for a job in the cabinet maker's shop in the Historic Area. He had been hit in the face by a loose cutter while shaping the hood of a grandfather clock. The boss couldn't hire him because he had a ghastly bad face from that. He regretted that he couldn't hire the guy.

Rick Fisher
06-07-2011, 11:12 PM
I dont rip hardwood on the table saw anymore.. My saw has no riving knife.. I rip it on the bandsaw.. Table saw is pretty much only used to cut plywood..

johnny means
06-08-2011, 12:16 AM
Plunge cuts.

On what?

needed 2 more characters

Ole Anderson
06-08-2011, 9:23 AM
I get a little nervous with the bandsaw, particularly with a 3 tpi ripping blade. I just keep thinking, gee, this is what a butcher uses for cutting meat and bone.

Mike Goetzke
06-08-2011, 9:36 AM
I'm always especially safe/cautious with the router but when I built my own entrance door and had to mill the posts on the TS I broke a sweat:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/mbg/Projects/Entrance%20Door/Frame/IMG_0287.jpg

Karl Card
06-08-2011, 12:45 PM
The only bad lesson that I had to learn was that holding a small piece of wood and trying to cut it with a miter saw is NOT going to work.. ... Other than that I am really good about being safe and like others have said "if it doesnt feel right, dont do it". That statement is so very true. The real scare for me is the lathe. Most anything can go from great to scattered at a very fast speed and the problem is that usually these pieces are small enough but still heavy enough that they are killing material.

John Pratt
06-08-2011, 2:37 PM
For me it is narrow height stock on the jointer. Even with the guard and push blocks, I can't help but think about what happens if the fingers slip into those blades. At least with a saw and there was a traumatic amputation, there is a chance for reattachement. But with the Jointer... "you can't make potatos out of potato chips".

By far though the scariest thing for me in the shop is watching my workers use the tools. Since I work on a military installation, the personnel I get to work for me are mostly active duty soldiers (some of whom have never used a hammer before). I do a pretty extensive train-up, but it still worries me that they might get hurt. Ending your military career due to a table saw is not the way go.

Myk Rian
06-08-2011, 6:04 PM
I find that using a raised panel and back cutter to be the most "puckering" operation I commonly do.
How about you?
Reading in the forums about someone that has no idea how to use these machines. That makes me nervous.

Jeff Monson
06-08-2011, 6:14 PM
Reading in the forums about someone that has no idea how to use these machines. That makes me nervous.

I'll second that Myk, my reply was meant as a joke....then I started thinking....I'm sure someone has tried, and failed at all 3 of mine.