PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Longer Banjo

James Combs
06-06-2011, 9:46 AM
Just saw Rasmus Petersen's post about looking for a spare banjo for his 3520 and it reminded me that I have been wanting a longer banjo for my Jet 1642.

The 1642 Banjo does not lock down very well at it's maximum extension. It tightens up on only one side of the bed and will rock up and down at this position.

Does anyone know of a longer one that will work on a 16" swing lathe?

Any directions or links to suppliers would be appreciated.

Bill Bolen
06-06-2011, 10:15 AM
Oneway will sell you one of theirs. I believe Bob Hamilton did that with his DVR.

Bob Hamilton
06-06-2011, 11:18 AM
The Oneway is pretty pricey but is an excellent banjo, although there are a few issues you need to keep in mind. Here is a link to the video I did about my conversion: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNp5btnkexM

Good Luck!
Bob

Kyle Iwamoto
06-06-2011, 5:17 PM
Is there a "fix" for this? I notice that when I core, I get some flex in the banjo. No matter how tight I make it. It's not at extreme extension though.

James Combs
06-06-2011, 9:29 PM
Is there a "fix" for this? I notice that when I core, I get some flex in the banjo. No matter how tight I make it. It's not at extreme extension though.

I believe that the Oneway banjo would certainly solve the problem but I for one do not have the ~$250 or so to buy it. Another possible solution, maybe not as good but it might work, could be the Robust "Dog Leg" as noted in post 7 of this OP. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?157112-Different-banjo-to-fit-Jet-1642
The Dog Leg goes for a more palatable $49.

Edit: BTW the post linked to above is another discussion of this same problem from back in January that I ran across today looking for a solution.

Kyle Iwamoto
06-06-2011, 10:08 PM
I would imagine that the dog leg would give the tool rest more leverage against the banjo. It seems fine to me, unless I core, but I don't do big bowls. I've not had my banjo all the way out. Yet.

I watched the video of the Oneway banjo, and don't want to go that route. I was hoping there was some filing down the banjo to make it "fit" better or something. There's a lot of us 1642 owners, maybe a recall? LOL

Anyone try the Laguna banjo?

Dale Miner
06-06-2011, 11:24 PM
Kyle,

If you are coring with the McNaughton tooling, what I found helpful is to position the banjo so that it is not straight across the bed, but at as much angle towards the headstock as possible. This places most of the force of coring into the strength of the banjo. When the banjo is straight across the bed, the torque on the knive wants to roll the banjo. With the banjo posiitoned as much under the knive as possible, there is less rolling of the banjo.

Kyle Iwamoto
06-07-2011, 12:53 PM
Ah, that goes against the grain of positioning the banjo, but I will try that. It makes sense. Thanks for that tip!

Jack Mincey
06-07-2011, 5:49 PM
One might try having someone make a square shaped locking plate for the bottom of the Jet banjo like the ONEWAY banjo uses. It should help make the banjo lock down better. The round locking plate that comes on the jet may be part of the problem.
Jack

Bill Neddow
06-07-2011, 7:23 PM
Jack has a good solution for you to try. I had a major problem with the banjo slipping on my Jet Mini. It had a round locking plate. I replaced it with a square plate and it solved the problem completely. There is a lot more "locking capacity" with a square base, as it grips a lot more of the bed.

Kyle Iwamoto
06-07-2011, 7:29 PM
I replaced the round plate on my Mini with the pricey Monster T-nuts, but they do not offer one for the 1642. They work great by the way. Stopped the banjo and TS creep. Do you have a source for the 1642?

Jack Mincey
06-07-2011, 7:43 PM
I would say that any machine shop that has a milling machine should be able to make one. Take the round plate to a machine shop in your area and explain what you want and see if they can help you.
Jack