PDA

View Full Version : Bumpy Eagles

Ben Knebel
02-09-2005, 3:22 PM
Got up this morning and made my usual stumbling way to the kitchen to put on the kettle for coffee--hit the eagle with my forehead--again.

A number of years ago, before Doug and I started Shepherd and when we actually had time to be tool collectors and dabble in woodworking,I decided to build a shelving unit to house my collection. Didn't build anything fancy---just some pine shelves with a little molding. While I was building it I decided to do a few applique carving bits, a couple of birds and a few Maple leaves(Canadian,eh?) and as the unit had a peeked top I thought;" Gee wouldn't an Eagles head be just perfect at the top of the peak.

Being somewhat design impaired at the time I strategically placed this eagle at a level just a little above my eyes.

Now you would think that after 50 years of living with myself I would know that if there are any protuberances that I can hit with my head I tend to go out of my way to do so. But nooo I didn't take this into consideration when I built the shelving unit so every once in awhile I hit the eagles beak on my way down the hallway.

Sometimes I remember it's there and swing my head out of the way just in time, muttering; "Ah ha you evil bird you almost got me again but I foiled you this time" only to hit my head on the clock protruding from the opposite wall.
When I do this I look at the bird and could swear , even though I didn't carve a tongue, that it's sticking it's tongue out at me---but then that could just be an optical illusion created by the stars swirling around my head.

Anyway this morning I really did it--normally it's just a tiny smack and I mutter and move on but this morning I opened up a gash on my forehead--a little blood a little swelling. I have to put that sheving unit somewhere else.

I swear I saw the eagle smile.

Best regards
Ben
www.shepherdtool.com

Louis Bois
02-09-2005, 4:36 PM
Nice story Ben...hope the head heals quickly. In the meantime, I'll clear up some space in my new addition to house that pesky shelving unit. ;)

But seriously, sounds like you guys are...to quote the immortal Newfoundander..."Busier than a blue-arse fly in stink"!!! What's on the chopping block for us tool droolers?!? I haven't had a chance to get that panel kit started...except for the buck block, of course...but that doesn't mean I ain't looking for the next challenge. Do tell!!!!

Ben Knebel
02-09-2005, 6:15 PM
Nice story Ben...hope the head heals quickly. In the meantime, I'll clear up some space in my new addition to house that pesky shelving unit. ;)

But seriously, sounds like you guys are...to quote the immortal Newfoundander..."Busier than a blue-arse fly in stink"!!! What's on the chopping block for us tool droolers?!? I haven't had a chance to get that panel kit started...except for the buck block, of course...but that doesn't mean I ain't looking for the next challenge. Do tell!!!!
Oh boy--that's a big question Louis. There is so much happening in 2005 new planes( adjustable mouth smoother, hollows and rounds, a surprise for the fall), workbenches, measuring tools--a new factory in Fergus--the Great Western Roadtrip.
Best thing to do I think Louis is go see our latest Newsletter at http://www.shepherdtool.com/2005%20FEBMARnewsletter22a.htm. You'll get to read about a few more of my misadventures there as well.
Thanks for asking.
Best regards
Ben
www.shepherdtool.com

Wendell Wilkerson
02-09-2005, 10:32 PM
All right, we're starting to feel left out down here in Texas! It's bad enough that we can't find old tools since we live in OLD TOOL HELL, but we can't even get people to come down and teach how to make a proper infill plane. When's the great SouthWest tour going to be?

Wendell (Texan Hand Tool Junkie)

Ben Knebel
02-10-2005, 12:40 AM
All right, we're starting to feel left out down here in Texas! It's bad enough that we can't find old tools since we live in OLD TOOL HELL, but we can't even get people to come down and teach how to make a proper infill plane. When's the great SouthWest tour going to be?

Wendell (Texan Hand Tool Junkie)

It's coming Wendell; it's coming.

We're looking at doing the Florida, Texas etc tour in the fall.
Regards
Ben

Wendell Wilkerson
02-10-2005, 1:22 AM
It's coming Wendell; it's coming.

We're looking at doing the Florida, Texas etc tour in the fall.
Regards
Ben

I guess I can wait :) I humbly request that y'all (got get you used to the language) come through Dallas area when you make it to Texas. I am a newly joined member of the North Texas Woodworkers Association and the Southwest Tool Collectors Association. I am not very active in either one yet, but if you need some contact info, I'll try to help out. Surely one of these two groups (if not both) would be interested in having y'all demo/lecture/teach a class for them.

Wendell

Doug Evans
02-10-2005, 8:54 PM
We have been offered a weeks accomodation near a topless beach in South Florida in November. Given the low price of flights, it aint gonna be too hard for us to make the southern trip. Ben's a little shy about going topless though... he's into the kind of beachwear that Popeye (How many here know that name - Put up your hands) would wear. Then again, he a sporting fellow so I guess he'll just have to make sacrifices!

Doug

Ben Knebel
02-13-2005, 2:19 PM
I guess I can wait :) I humbly request that y'all (got get you used to the language) come through Dallas area when you make it to Texas. I am a newly joined member of the North Texas Woodworkers Association and the Southwest Tool Collectors Association. I am not very active in either one yet, but if you need some contact info, I'll try to help out. Surely one of these two groups (if not both) would be interested in having y'all demo/lecture/teach a class for them.

Wendell

Thank you Wendell--we'd love the contact info. --send it to Doug as he's the trip organiser.
Best regards
Ben

Corvin Alstot
02-13-2005, 2:41 PM
I guess I can wait :) I humbly request that y'all (got get you used to the language) come through Dallas area when you make it to Texas. Surely one of these two groups (if not both) would be interested in having y'all demo/lecture/teach a class for them.Wendell
If you do a Texas tour, think about Houston too. I do not believe we have any beaches worth noting, but we have some great Bar-be-que that can't be beat.

Ben Knebel
02-15-2005, 10:52 AM
If you do a Texas tour, think about Houston too. I do not believe we have any beaches worth noting, but we have some great Bar-be-que that can't be beat.

Definitely Corvin----Y'all (just practicing) sure do know how to feed a body well. And as anyone who has seen me can attest--I do love my food.
Best regards
Ben