PDA

View Full Version : Screwdriver handles

Shawn Stennett
06-05-2011, 9:54 PM
I am wanting to turn handles for screwdrivers and chisels, along with various small things with tenons. At some point my wife would like to try and turn a bowl or two. We have the ikon mini lathe with a 12" swing. I also would like to drill the shank holes on the lathe. What should I get? I see things for bottle stops, and different things, and mini chucks, I am just not sure what would be best without breaking the bank.

Michelle Rich
06-06-2011, 6:38 AM
I'm a bit confused. You want to drill shank holes? For screwdrivers? (or really any drilling on a lathe) You need a 1/2 inch drill chuck to put in your tailstock. check with any supplier of turning supplies..craft supplies, penn state industries, packard woodworks, etc, You will also need a 4 jaw chuck in your headstock to HOLD the piece being drilled. (again look at suppliers) Hope this helps

Harvey Ghesser
06-06-2011, 9:02 AM
What Michelle said....and also perhaps you might check out a turning club in your area. It sounds like you might enjoy woodturning and it would be great if you could get to see some live demonstrations! Best advise I can give.

Shawn Stennett
06-06-2011, 10:31 AM
I am in the middle of no where really, it is about 2-3 hours to Dallas or Houston. There are many choices for chucks and I just don't know what would be the right one for me. That can do what I need, like I said I want to turn some things that have a small tenon about 1/2, and still handle small bowls. Sorry if I was confusing.

Don Alexander
06-06-2011, 3:24 PM
your Rikon would be plenty of lathe to handle what you have described Nova G3 chuck works great on mine HTH

David E Keller
06-06-2011, 3:55 PM
Lots of options as you said. I'd give some consideration to the Grizzly chuck if you want something relatively inexpensive... $109 IIRC and another $20 for the pin jaws for small stuff. It uses an insert, so you can still use it on another lathe by changing the insert if needed. I've got three of the Grizzly's, and I'm really happy with them... YMMV.

Shawn, I had to google Buffalo, TX, but I noticed you're not too far from Waco... The SWAT woodturning symposium is in Waco the last weekend in August. You might look into going... Lots to learn from the demos, and you can buy lots of stuff on site(including but not limited to chucks). Just a thought.

Robert Culver
06-06-2011, 9:15 PM
Shawn A 4 jaw chuck and a drill chuck for the tail stock. I got my drill chuck from psi im happy with it just make sure you dont get one that spins you want one to just hold the bit . also make sure you get the right taper for the tail stock there is a m1 and a m2. one is larger than the other.... other than that for small things i would say under 6 inche you should be in busness once you start drilling deep you will want to consider a spindle steady and some bed extentions if you can get them....

Lee Koepke
06-07-2011, 9:12 PM
I have turned a couple of the changeable screwdriver kits. The first one I drilled the hole on my drill press. NOT a simple task, in fact so not fun, I bought a drill chuck for my lathe. Much easier the second time around.

I just put a piece in my regular chuck, drilled the hole, turned the rest the way I wanted, then parted it off. Pretty basic, mine was, and I have a RIKON mini

John Hart
06-07-2011, 9:19 PM
Welcome to the Vortex Shawn!! You and your bride!! :)

Thomas Canfield
06-09-2011, 11:44 PM
I have found that mounting the drill chuck in the headstock and then using the live tail center to push the wood toward the bit works well for most bits and the wood can be kept from rotating by just holding with one hand. I do not use a chuck to hold the wood for shafts. I do use the wood in a chuck and drill chuck in tail stock for boring a starter hold for hollowing. YOu should get either a 1/2" or 5/8" drill chuck for #2 MT. It is not a big deal to use a key on the chuck, and it is a little shorter than the keyless if length is a factor. I recently got a good deal on a 5/8" keyless chuck so now have both.