PDA

View Full Version : What draws you to the art of Woodworking?(Long)

Charlie Woods
02-09-2005, 2:42 PM
I finally got a chance to go home early yesterday to spend some time working in my so called( small cramped, not as well equiped as i would like, but it's all mine) shop at home. With much excitment in my voice I told some of my fellow teachers and students what I was going to do when I got home. Several of the students chimed in with this question. "As much time as you spend teaching students about Tech Theatre and the aspects of design, construction etc... why would you go home and do some of the same things that you do here". Well this got me to thinking; what is it about woodworking that draws us to it, can cause us to spend large sums of money on equipment, and even cause frustration in our lives. Now I know that many of you do this for a living, but beyond the financial reason, why do you do it?

For me there are several reasons that will keep me lifelong intrested in this.

1. The core reason is that I love to learn. ( now I might not learn as fast as others, but I'll eventually get there). I like being able to take something like a pile of lumber, logs, scraps, etc and visualize, design and create something from it. I feel strongly about the process being just as/more important than the product. Unlike steel, or stone wood was once living, and for me presents somewhat of a spiritual quality that is hard to describe.

2. Therapy!!!!! Working in my shop at home, allows me to at least for a short time shut out the world. I can relax, not having deadlines, not having the need to be in a hurry, not having to rely on someone else, and being able to focus on one thing. If I build something for my wife, or other family members, they all know that it will be done when it is done, and that the last thing they want to do is hurry me.

3. Since of accomplishment, no matter how good/bad the project turns out I have learned something new and that is something that no one can take away from me.

So guys what is it about the art of woodworking that draws you to it?
( Sorry was feeling a philisophical today).

Thanks for your input. I like knowing I am not the only crazy one out there who feels this way.

Jack Hogoboom
02-09-2005, 2:48 PM
Charlie,

For me, it is the sense of feeling useful and being able to build anything at all. I always think about the ethics puzzle of having 5 people in a bomb shelter that only holds 4 -- who do you turn out? I used to believe I would be the first to go because I really couldn't "do" anything. Now, at least I could build a rudimentary set of furniture for the new "colony". :rolleyes:

Also, I like having the tools!!!! :D

Jack

John Hulett
02-09-2005, 3:02 PM
Since I'm fairly new to WW, it's an easy question to answer. I've been married for 6 years. Prior to being married, my hobby was playing guitar (was doing the band thing when I met LOML). Now, if I'm playing guitar, it's a waste of time in the eyes of LOML - not productive, nor is it time with her! :eek:

A couple of years ago, I was thinking of taking up golf again, as I hadn't golfed since highschool. That idea went down in flames - again, not spending time with her. :eek:

Now that I'm WW, it gives me a chance to be out in the garage, spending some quality time by myself. And as Charlie said, when I finished my cabinets, I had a tremendous sense of accomplishment. I'm really looking forward to the next project - both the time alone, as well as the accomplishment of making my home a better place to live.:)

Disclaimer: It's not that I don't love LOML - just got to have a bit-o-alone time!

Terry Hatfield
02-09-2005, 3:16 PM
Charlie said.........

"Therapy!!!!! Working in my shop at home, allows me to at least for a short time shut out the world. I can relax, not having deadlines, not having the need to be in a hurry, not having to rely on someone else, and being able to focus on one thing. If I build something for my wife, or other family members, they all know that it will be done when it is done, and that the last thing they want to do is hurry me."

I could not have said it better!!! Sometimes I go out to the shop and just get lost. My job is a hectic and stressful one and time in the shop helps me keep what little is left of my sanity plus Cheryl gets furniture to boot!!

Terry

Jeff Sudmeier
02-09-2005, 3:18 PM
I agree with all three of your reasons. I have said many times I would not still be at my job if it was not for the therapy woodworking provides. It's not like my job is that terrible, I just have a core desire to do something with my hands. I used to be a carpenter, but realized that my body wouldn't hold up for 40 years of carpentry...

The alone time is also a big plus, for both LOML and I.

Dave Avery
02-09-2005, 3:38 PM
I see concrete results when I'm done in the form of a useful product. For a vocation, I sit at a desk and attend meetings all day long. The product of my work is (hopefully) good business decisions - satisfying, but in a different way than woodworking.

Richard Wolf
02-09-2005, 4:03 PM
I own a small woodworking business. I build and install wooden railings and sometimes build staircases. Most of my work consists of purchasing stantard stair parts and constructing a balustrade on an exsisting stair. I am lucky enough to be able to justify having a 2000 sq. ft. shop that is fairly well equipted. I feel very lucky that I can make a very good living working with wood.

The crazy thing is most of my free time I find myself involved in woodworking also.
You have to look at the big picture of woodworking, it's not just making saw dust, it's design, construction, artistic freedom, a progress to talent, learned skills, knowledge, history. The art of creating in wood is never ending and something can always be learned.

Woodworking may not be for everybody, but if you don't have an interest in something like woodworking how shallow a person you must be.

John Branam
02-09-2005, 4:21 PM
I enjoy every phase of woodworking. Taking the picture that is in my mind and creating plans and drawings, picking out the wood for the prioject, milling and machining the lumber, sanding to a nice smooth surface, assembling, and seeing the wood come to life with a nice finish on it. I actually sometimes feel a since of disappointment that the project is over, that is until I start it all over for the next project!:)

Steve Beadle
02-09-2005, 5:03 PM
Oh, boy--what draws me to woodworking? There are so many attractions that I feel like a paper clip in a barrel full of magnets. When I do woodworking, I feel a kinship with the past--for the wood itself may be a hundred, or hundreds, of years old. When I use a hand tool I can easily imagine a woodworker from centuries previous doing much the same thing. Sometimes even the design I'm constructing is historic. And when I use a tool that someone else used before I was even born, it just seems marvelous to me.
I like the texture of woodworking. Like snowflakes, no two boards are ever quite exactly the same. Whether the board is rough-sawn or as smooth as the proverbial baby's bottom, I enjoy touching wood. I also like the smell, especially that of the pines and the cedars. And how many times have I heard other woodworkers describe the joy they feel in just hearing the sound of a finely-tuned handplane as it is smoothing a workpiece? Whoosh, whoooooosh! And picking up a handful of shavings and tossing them up and watching them float down--that's a special sort of delight.
Woodworking employs both the hands and the mind to produce something useful or fanciful. It is labor, it is craft, and it is art. The things we produce with tool in hand may not last for eternity, but they can well last for decades, even centuries, and they may "live" to produce in our descendants the same sort of appreciation. Our projects may recruit future woodworkers, who will reap the same sort of therapeutic joy that is ours.
Gosh, what's not to like about woodworking?

scott spencer
02-09-2005, 5:13 PM
Good question with many anwsers. To start with for me it's the urge to design, create, problem solve, build, and of course save money on furniture! That feeling of shaping a rough board into something different than what it was is pretty satisfying.

Then there's the fascination with all those cool tools! ...it never ends....power tools, hand tools, old ones, new ones, jigs, clamps, doo-hickeys, etc. There's also a strong interest in laying out the shop and making it work well, not to mention the "quality time" I get out there....just me and my shop :-). I find the tradition of woodworking to be pretty cool too. To be participating in some small way with all that craftmanship and ingenuity that's been part of our culture for centuries gives me a sense of pride. It's something I can share with friends and pass along to my kids. Even family and friends who don't partipate can benefit from the fruit of my labor.....gives me a satisfied feeling deep inside!

The love of wood almost goes without mention, but I will say I didn't anticipate that aspect of the hobby....kind of grew on me over time. So many different species, so many different looks from the same wood, so many unusual and gorgeous boards....like snowflakes that grow on trees. There's a new favorite species every few months, and nobody's feelings get hurt when I move on to the next variety that catches my attention! (all this reminiscing makes me wish my garage was warmer than 25 degrees!)

Tom Ghesquiere
02-09-2005, 5:36 PM
I work in business development selling fighter airplanes. I work with people and paper and don't see much 'product' at the end of the day. My garage shop is mental and physical therapy. I use many different skills and definitely have product at the end of a few hours in the shop. I also thoroughly enjoy the fellowship on the 'creek'. I get ideas and inspiration from this site and that translates into projects. Every project requires at least one new tool, otherwise it can't be done! LOML knows we get along better when I have 'my time'.

Michael Stafford
02-09-2005, 7:17 PM
For the sheer joy of working with a material as beautiful as wood! :)

For the challenge of transforming a rough piece of material into something of value, beauty or use. :)

For the sensual enjoyment of the smells, the textures, the visual beauty of the wood itself. :)

For the total pleasure of creation, self satisfaction, relaxation and teaching myself new skills. :)

Keith Christopher
02-09-2005, 8:29 PM
I love the creative process. I love taking these rough boards and put them together and make them look awesome ! An I will also admit I LOVE when I make something for a client and they LOVE it and ohhh and ahhhhh over the work. I'm sorry it's the gratification, to me it's when a project is FULLY complete. When I get the next call because they saw -insert project here- at so and so's and were interested in commisioning me. I make it and it makes them happy. Oddly enough I am a classic "cobblers children have no shoes" So little of what I make stays here. I have needed a coffee table for quite some time but have I made one ? nope.

Jerry Olexa
02-09-2005, 11:34 PM
Charlie, I like all 3 of your reasons and generally agree. I will add 2 joys I have: (1)The creating of something out of fairly mundane flat pieces of rough wood and (2) Ah the process itself...Enjoying the designing, layout, cutting, shaping , sanding , gluing, etc, etc (don't forget finishing) and seeing it "come to life" . I could write a long time on the fun of WWing...Enjoy:)

Christopher Pine
02-09-2005, 11:59 PM
Because it makes me happy.

Bill Arnold
02-10-2005, 2:31 AM
Therapy. Personal gratification. Appreciation by others. That just about sums it up.

I learned a long time ago that I can't draw a straight line without a ruler. My sister got the talent gene for drawing, watercolor, oils, etc. I can imagine, see the result mentally, then build something that works. I still have trouble sketching something with pencil, that's where CAD works for me. I get almost as much enjoyment from the design and drafting of a project as actually doing it. Seeing something come to life on paper, then creating it in quality woods brings a lot of satisfaction.

Frank Pellow
02-10-2005, 8:14 AM
You might as well ask me "Why do you breath?" I am not being flippant. Woodworking is something that I have done as long as I can remember and it is something that I always will do. It is a fundamental part of who I am.

Steve Inniss
02-10-2005, 9:43 AM
All of the above. Plus, although I love technology, gizmos, devices and gadgets, woodworking provides a satisfying and fullfilling connection to the past.
It's inspirational to see historic images of people engaged in woodworking.
-Steve

Ken Salisbury
02-10-2005, 10:14 AM
In 1944 I remember my Grandfather saying "No - do it this way" --- I been hooked ever since.

http://www.oldrebelworkshop.com/smiley2.gif

Dave Ray
02-10-2005, 10:25 AM
For all the reasons stated above and more. I just love being in the shop building something.... anything. One big benefit not mentioned is using this "TOOL" (computer) to talk, listen, learn from all you guys/gals out there. We have a huge common interest, a fascinating subject'(s) of conversation. Woodworkers are a fine group of people.

Ray Dockrey
02-10-2005, 10:33 AM
It is therapy. Like most of you, it gives me a place to go and get away from it all. It is also the accomplishment . The great feeling of being able to step back and look at what you have done and what it took to get there. I also like the creation process. From an idea or drawing that inspires me to taking a pile of wood and turning into something that will awe people. Nothing like it in the world.

Ron Robinson
02-10-2005, 10:57 AM
All the replies have been great so far and I guess I agree with a little of what everyone has already said.

I love the smells, the feel, the sounds. I love thinking through and solving fixturing and assembly problems. I love designing and then building something I can use. I love looking at the wood in my rough pile then looking at the current project on my bench and seeing what is possible. I love having a "shop". A place that is wholly mine, that I can go to and work (or not) and be totally alone. I love that my chosen hobby (I am not a pro) is something I can do at home and share with my two daughters.

That only scratches the surface. Somehow I don't think I can put into words what draws me to wood.

Ron Robinson

Mike Scoggins
02-10-2005, 2:18 PM
I'm drawn to woodworking for many reasons, but I’m not sure I could put them in any particular order; they seem to change over time. At any rate, the reasons I love woodworking (among others) include:

1. I love to create/make things. This includes all kinds of things, but particularly things you can look at, touch, use or just admire. Wood is a great medium for creating such things.

2. I love the sense of accomplishment I experience in the many elements and phases of woodworking. That’s one reason I enjoy before and after pictures, literally or just in my mind. I like to start a project looking at a stack of rough cut wood, and then compare that to the finished piece (be it a piece of furniture, a picture frame, a scroll saw project, a jig, whatever). It’s fun. As several have mentioned, this is particularly refreshing for those of us who seem to be paper-pushers of sorts in our day jobs. I attend meetings, sit in front of a computer and create documents, etc. This can be rewarding in its own way at times, but it does not compare to the gratification of a completed woodworking project.

3. I love the variety within woodworking. There’s always another element to hope to revel in when it comes to woodworking. This is typically related to my skill level and interests at any given point in time and may include such things as jointing, planing, various joining techniques/skills, routing, dovetailing, sanding, scraping, finishing, etc. The list is really endless, and within each of these, there lies a whole subset of skills to learn about and maybe even a few to be mastered. Learning is fun and should be a part of everyone’s life. (In fact, in my opinion, if you’re not learning, you’re not living. You might be alive, as in “existing,” but you’re not living.) As an example, it’s only recently that I’ve started to learn about hand planes (and experienced the “slippery slope” that the neanders so often mention). My interest and awareness are now high, yet only a year or so ago I had almost zero interest in hand tools of any type. There is a ton to learn in this one area, and the same is true for almost any facet of woodworking.

4. I enjoy the compliments I receive on pieces I’ve made. This is honestly secondary, but I’d be lying if I said I didn’t enjoy it.

5. I love the medium. As some have alluded to, there is also something special about creating things out of wood. Wood comes from trees that were/are created by God. I have a sort of reverence for the wood I work with, particularly those with unique grain patterns, etc. You want to do your best on whatever you’re making knowing that the medium being used was grown over a period of many years from a tree, one of God’s unique creations. Is as if God let’s us add our own little touch of creativity that He’s gifted us with, to His superbly created medium of wood as we make a piece of furniture (or whatever it might be). The time I spend making a piece of furniture (or whatever the project might be) is insignificant compared to the time it took for the tree to do it’s magic, and I’m rarely accused of being fast when it comes to woodworking.

6. I love being able to make something unique. It’s rare that I create something truly original, but it’s nice to be able to adapt and combine things I’ve seen with my own creativity into a single project that makes it unique. The LOML really appreciates this part of my hobby.

7. And yes, it’s therapeutic for me too. Everyone has stress from various sources (most persistent type typically being associated with some deadline or just simply not seeming to have enough time to get everything done), and woodworking provides a welcome relief for me.
Thanks for the thread, Charlie -- good topic and interesting reading.

Mike

Jerry Olexa
02-10-2005, 3:13 PM
Mike, EXCELLENT response!! Agree with 99% of your thoughts. Well said and expresses well that which is difficult,, I love WWing too for many of the same reasons...

Eddie Watkins
02-10-2005, 7:35 PM
Therapy, enjoyment, and desperation. Several years ago LOML brought home a dining room set built by Stickley. It cost more than than the car I was driving at the time and she was telling me how she liked the simple style so much she thought she would get some more for other rooms. In a state of panic and desperation, I told her I could build it for her. I'm still trying to put out the same quality that she bought. It is sure fun trying and she has appreciated my efforts enough to support my tool habit.:)

Zahid Naqvi
02-10-2005, 10:21 PM
Most of you bring up valid points, and I agree that creativity and the mental relaxation that comes in any deep indulgence is what draws us all (or most of us). A fringe benefit that I did not anticipate is the great commaraderie and friendship. For me the most amazing thing is that I can introduce myself to any other woodowrker for the first time and instantaneously strike up a friendship, no questions asked. I recently started taking a woodworking class and after two sessions fellow woodworkers were willing to share their tools, veneer and give hands on demo on tool usage despite them being in the class too.

Dennis continues to be an asset for the central Arkansas community, as are other senior sawdust makers in their respective regions. How else would I be able to solicit design help from the likes of Mark Singer, or handtool advice from Dave Anderson and who's that guy who makes boats (just kidding Bob :D ).

My continued interest in woodworking is due to all these great friends I have made, who continue to guide me without expecting anything in return. for which I am eternally indebted.

Charlie Woods
02-11-2005, 5:10 PM
Zahid:
("For me the most amazing thing is that I can introduce myself to any other woodowrker for the first time and instantaneously strike up a friendship, no questions asked. I recently started taking a woodworking class and after two sessions fellow woodworkers were willing to share their tools, veneer and give hands on demo on tool usage despite them being in the class too.")

You are are very right Zahid. I have spent much time in the live entertainment business and have delt with all types of people. For many in that business the attitude is more of "What can you do for me", "What will it cost me", " Why should I bother, you are obviously not on my level mentally"( directors and designers especially) and so forth and so on.....Don't get me wrong, there are good people in this field, but most of the ones I have delt with fall under the catagory above.
I can say that the individuals here SMC are the exact opposite. No matter what the question, concern, issue, the memebers here are willing to go the extra mile to help without, a "What can you do for me", "What will it cost me", " Why should I bother, you are obviously not on my level mentally" attitude attached. For many many dust makers this is a place to foster, and grow a continuing desire and respect for the art of woodworking. I for one am glad that this community of woodworkers is here. Thanks to all who have given me help, whether you no it or not.

Thanks!!!!!

Kent Cori
02-11-2005, 7:52 PM
For me, there are many reasons. Chief among them are:

1. Stress relief - My job is stressful, particularly right now, and a few hours in the garage shop does wonders for my perspective. It is one of the times where I can totally block out the day-to-day business pressures.

2. I love creating something that will likely outlive me - I became an engineer for this very reason. Giving something enduring to my family and friends gives me a feeling of satisfaction.

3. I enjoy finding new ways to accomplish a task - I often try different methods just to see how they work for me.

4. Wood is an incredibly beautiful material - I really like to look at the projects that I have created.

5. No two of my projects have been identical - even when they were supposed to be. :eek:

6. Continuous learning - This forum and my own experiences have greatly expanded my knowledge of this great hobby.

I never want to try to earn money from my woodworking efforts. I'm having way too much fun with it as a hobby! :)

Jim Becker
02-11-2005, 9:27 PM
Woodworking became part of my life only about 7 years ago...primarily as a mental health activity, but it's also become my normal outlet for the artistic side of my psyche over other activities that I might have done in the past in music and other art forms. I really enjoy dreaming of, planning and executing projects and since it's so far from what I do for a living (high dollar technical sales support in the telecommunications business), it serves my original purpose admirably. What's even nicer is that woodworking combined with the technology of our era also means I've gained many, many friendships over a wide geographic area because communication makes everyone "just next door".

The things l like the best about woodworking generally revolve around learning something new and helping others do the same. There is as much, if not more, satisfaction in that as there is in completing projects.