PDA

View Full Version : Cherry bowl

Steve bellinger
06-05-2011, 6:54 PM
This is just a small cherry crotch winged bowl. nothin real special but thought i'd show it any way. This is from a fruit bearing cherry. Thanks for looking and all c&c welcome.
Steve

Richard Jones
06-05-2011, 7:20 PM
Nice, Steve. And my favorite wood. Hey, they're all special.........

Dennis Ford
06-05-2011, 7:26 PM
Good work, that looks great. I like how the clean surface around the bowl contrasts with the natural edge. I am not quite sold on the foot.

Greg Just
06-05-2011, 7:27 PM
Nothing special? That is really cool. Nice job.

Marty Eargle
06-05-2011, 7:30 PM
I prefer smaller to no lips on bowls like this, but still a great looking piece. Hard to beat a nice piece of Cherry crotch.

Steve Schlumpf
06-05-2011, 7:42 PM
Steve - the possibilities are endless when you turn something like this! Nice work! You didn't list any dimensions or a profile photo of the piece - so can't comment on those aspects - such as did you carry the curve of the bowl from the top of the form - through to the bottom, etc.

Overall - I like it! I have seen pieces where the bowl extends above the slab or has been turned such that it is flush with the surface... either works and is just a matter of what it is you want to create. Nice work!

charlie knighton
06-05-2011, 7:56 PM
very nice, what does the bottom look like

David E Keller
06-05-2011, 8:05 PM
Pretty cool, Steve. I would consider removing the bark on this one only because that small section is already missing... I'm kind of an all or none bark guy I guess. I love cherry wood, but I love eating cherries too... I'd have a hard time cutting down a fruit bearing tree.

Steve bellinger
06-05-2011, 8:11 PM
very nice, what does the bottom look like
Charlie the 2nd pic is the bottom.

Donny Lawson
06-05-2011, 8:29 PM
I have to say, that is awesome. I've been wanting to make a bowl like that for a year now but never have yet. I have 2 Maple crotch pieces in my shop floor just waiting its turn on the lathe. I may have to give this a go. Thanks for sharing.

John Keeton
06-05-2011, 9:30 PM
These are interesting, and like Steve said - the variations are endless. I have yet to attempt one of these, but I do have a couple of crotches in the barn - someday!

Roger Chandler
06-05-2011, 9:40 PM
very nice feather grain in that crotch piece.........nice form as well............nice one Steve!

Michael James
06-05-2011, 9:55 PM
Looks special from over here, amigo! I personally don't like all the wind from those type of pieces! Thanks for posting!
mj

Baxter Smith
06-05-2011, 10:04 PM
Nice looking bowl Steve!

Steve bellinger
06-06-2011, 5:48 AM
Thanks all. i have one more drying that will be going to MI when finished. It's for a guy over on a different forum. He has sent me and brought me a bunch of wood, over the past years. He's not a turner but really likes the looks of pieces like these, so it will be a thank you bowl.:D:cool:

bob svoboda
06-06-2011, 9:59 AM
That's really cool. I have tried one of those and didn't have that kind of success--will have to try again.

Rob Cunningham
06-06-2011, 12:50 PM
Really nice Steve. A bowl like that is on my to-do list when I find time to get back on the lathe.

Steve bellinger
06-06-2011, 2:52 PM
Thanks again ya'll. Rob C Where in PA is Horsham? The reason i ask is i was born in waverly NY but was raised in Bradford co. PA .Most of my family still lives up there.