PDA

View Full Version : proper method to tighten up chairs?

Lynn Kasdorf
02-09-2005, 2:24 PM
I have several chairs of varying quality that are wobbly. I seem to recall that on a Windsor chair at least, you don't just hog glue in there and hope for the best- I seem to recall there is some crafty approach involving special potions and techniques...

Well, these are not Windsor chairs. Some are nice old oak, some may be maple, perhaps poplar, some pine.

Is it reasonable to get all the joints totally saturated with polyurethane glue, and clamp with straps?

David Wilson
02-09-2005, 3:03 PM
Lynn

I have used a product called chairlock with good results. It is a liquid which causes the wood fibers to expand. You can use a hypodermic syringe to inject it into a loose joint but be shure to clamp the joint until the product has dried.

Richard Wolf
02-09-2005, 4:41 PM
Windsor chairs are unlike all other types of chairs. They are built so when someone sits in the chair, all the joints tighten up. They are build in compression. All other chairs need care in fixing. As Davids suggested, chairlock may work. It does not work if the wood is so old and dry that the cells in the wood can no longer expand and absorb the liquid.
If not, you must disassemble the chair and remove the old glue. It is most important that the old glue is removed or the repair will never last. If the chair was built with hide glue maybe some very hot water will remove the old glue. Once the old glue is off, ployurethane glue is a good choice.

Lee Schierer
02-09-2005, 4:46 PM
I've repaired several old chairs. When you put in excess glue, it works for a while, but soon fails. Even chair loc doesn't last all that long. The best way that I've found is to take the chair apart, Carefully remove all the glue from the spindle and hole, getting both as round as possible. This will result in a very loose fit.

We all know that glue alone isn't very strong, so I make some long shavings with a hand plane (yeah I know this is a neanderthal tool) out of maple. I coat the spindle with glue and wrap the shaving around the spindle, making sure that each successive layer is glue coated. You can also do a dry prefit with the shaving. When the diameter is a snug fit in the socket, I apply more glue and assemble the joint.

Make sure when you glue up the chair that you have it setting on a flat surface so the legs don't wobble.

This repair will out last any other method by at least 2-1.

Todd Burch
02-09-2005, 11:23 PM
Another tip on this subject is to create a Spanish Windlass (sp?) to clamp it up. Take a long string/long small rope and wrap it several times around all the legs. It doesn't really have to be tight. Then, get yerself a stick of wood, somewhere. Maybe from your neighbor...;), and insert it between the bunch of loops on one side of the chair. Start twisting the stick, over and over, until it gets tight. Then, wedge the stick under a rung or behind a leg and let it sit 'til dry. (Just like the old bow-saws use).

Todd

Steve Inniss
02-10-2005, 10:18 AM
I find you usually need to take the chair apart, remove the old glue and re-glue - poly glue will fill voids nicely but Lee's tip is a sound one, especially if you have a lot of chair leaners in the house like I do.

Another tip on this subject is to create a Spanish Windlass (sp?) to clamp it up. Take a long string/long small rope and wrap it several times around all the legs. It doesn't really have to be tight. Then, get yerself a stick of wood, somewhere. Maybe from your neighbor...;), and insert it between the bunch of loops on one side of the chair. Start twisting the stick, over and over, until it gets tight. Then, wedge the stick under a rung or behind a leg and let it sit 'til dry. (Just like the old bow-saws use).

Todd
There's an example of the clamp Todd describes in pic#2 on this post - shows the neighbour sticks as well. I am building a spalted maple sofa table with curved stretchers and the "windlass" clamp method was a better solution than clamps. -Steve
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=16610

...and Spanish Windlass info for all fellow log manipulators:
http://www.inquiry.net/outdoor/skills/b-p/windlass.htm

Steve Clardy
02-10-2005, 10:41 AM
You can do a wedged tenon on the legs also.
I'll explain more later. Gotta run.

Don Henthorn Smithville, TX
02-11-2005, 11:09 PM
And if they are really old chairs do them a favor and disassemble them as has been stated and clean them well and refit them by the glued shaving method. When they are good joints again put them together with good hide glue so fifty years from now someone else can do the same thing. Makeshift repairs seldom last long and usually doom the chair to the junk yard long before its time.