PDA

View Full Version : What's inside my concrete stoops?

Stephen Tashiro
06-05-2011, 1:48 AM
On my 1941 concrete block house are two concrete stoops, about 3 ft by 4 ft and about 14 inches above grade. "Someday" I might replace them, so I wonder how much trouble they would be to demolish. What would be inside them? I hope that the whole stoop isn't solid concrete. Is it likely that the builders made something out of concrete block and poured the slab over it? The sides show poured concrete, not block.

Peter Stahl
06-05-2011, 6:29 AM
I used to work with my FIL when I was younger and we came across everything from solid concrete to dirt. The worst was removing steps that were solid concrete, hardest stuff I ever jack hammered. Most old concrete isn't that bad but you never know, they may have even put in rebar.

Rich Engelhardt
06-05-2011, 7:24 AM
Most old concrete isn't that bad but you never know, they may have even put in rebar.
or Jimmy Hoffa.....;).

Ken Fitzgerald
06-05-2011, 8:44 AM
The stoops on my house contain construction debris around which a form had been made and then the concrete poured and finished. They became severely unleveled at one point. I dugout underneath a small area of the one at my front step, threw gravel in the hole and tamped it with a 1" steel bar and was able to re-level it rather than remove and replace it. I actually raised it about 2" on the east side to level it.

Von Bickley
06-05-2011, 10:05 AM
The stoops on my house contain construction debris around which a form had been made and then the concrete poured and finished.

This is a common practice to get rid of broken bricks and blocks.

glenn bradley
06-05-2011, 12:12 PM
What's inside my concrete stoops?

. . . . Jimmy Hoffa.

David Helm
06-05-2011, 12:36 PM
Contact a concrete cutting company and have them bring the big guns if it proves to be solid. Shouldn't cost too much and saves a lot of wear and tear on the body.

Jim Koepke
06-05-2011, 1:00 PM
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Will Rogers knew of what he spoke.

jtk

David G Baker
06-05-2011, 4:42 PM
My dad filled the hollow areas with rocks that were readily available on our property. I use sand because I have lots of it available on my property.

Steve Jenkins
06-05-2011, 5:35 PM
I removed a concrete stoop from the front of my house and a 12x20'pad from the back. I rented an electric jackhammer(concrete buster) from home depot and it took a day to do but really wasn't that big a deal. the pad in back turned out to be 11-12" thick but no rebar.

Craig Summers
06-06-2011, 9:00 AM
I would guess that building supplies were scarce and expensive in 1941.
As others have already said, it would be likely to be filled with debris of some sort