PDA

View Full Version : Finally got my Grizzly 514x2 bandsaw

Jim Barstow
06-05-2011, 12:25 AM
I ordered this in late January and it finally arrived on Friday. I have 2 other grizzly machines (a 12" spiral head jointer and 15" spiral head planer) that have been wonderful to work with. I was a little wary when I ordered the bandsaw since there have been some posts telling of poor QA on Grizzly machines.

I can say the opposite. Even though the wooden "crate" clearly had some damage, the machine inside was untouched. The fit and finish were excellent. Assembly went quickly and the blade tracked without any adjustment necessary. I have it on a mobile base and there is little or no vibration and it is very quiet.

I bought this saw since my old Inca bandsaw just wasn't up to what I asked it to do. (The last straw was when I tried to resaw 7" cherry and it just couldn't do it in spite of using a Wood Slicer blade.)

The first thing I did with the 514x2 was to do the same resaw of 7" cherry. Cut it like butter and never deviated from the path.

Ken Fitzgerald
06-05-2011, 12:36 AM
Congratulations Jim! May it serve you well!

Greg Peterson
06-05-2011, 12:55 AM
If you really did get a bandsaw..... 'Round here, no picture, it didn't happen.

Congrats!

Ralph Butts
06-05-2011, 1:49 AM
Were are the pics? I have been very pleased with my 514x2. I got it second hand but its first owner took very good care of it. Congrats!

glenn bradley
06-05-2011, 12:17 PM
Jim is just being a nice guy and doesn't want to post the pics of that train-wreck of a saw he just got burdened with :D:D:D

Congrats Jim. You will love that saw. Your experience with Grizzly mirrors my own.

Jim Barstow
06-06-2011, 1:27 AM
I'll post a picture once I get it hooked up to the dust collection system. All my duct work is in the shop basement and I pop 5" feeds up through the floor near the machines. I've got the new ducting in, now I have to do the plumbing from the machine to the floor flange.

Jim Barstow
06-09-2011, 10:28 PM
197446Finished hooking up the dust collection. All my duct work is in the shop basement so I can just pop a new connection up through the floor where I need it. The picture may come through rotated. Couldn't find a "rotate" command.

Ken Fitzgerald
06-09-2011, 10:33 PM
Jim,

I hope you don't mind, I took the liberty of rotating your photo for you. Congrats on your new bandsaw!

Mike Kelsey
06-09-2011, 10:55 PM
Jim,

Could you mention what mobile base you are using for it

Jim Barstow
06-10-2011, 2:01 PM
htc from woodcraft on sale. Supposedly it can handle up to 700 lbs which provides a couple hundred pounds of leeway. Unfortunately,
only 2 wheels swivel so it moves easily in one direction and much more difficultly in the other. I can live with it but it's not ideal.

Jim Barstow
06-10-2011, 2:03 PM
Incidentally, I saw a laguna saw the other day and compared the fit and finish. The welds on the inside of the laguna were sloppy. I've always felt
you can tell the care put into building something by looking at the parts that aren't easily visible. The Grizzly was miles ahead of the laguna.

John Coloccia
06-10-2011, 2:15 PM
Incidentally, I saw a laguna saw the other day and compared the fit and finish. The welds on the inside of the laguna were sloppy. I've always felt
you can tell the care put into building something by looking at the parts that aren't easily visible. The Grizzly was miles ahead of the laguna.

I've noticed that their Asian saws are very inconsistent as well, and there was a lot I didn't like about some of the Laguna's I've seen. Their wheels are just beautifully balanced though. Probably the best I've seen.

I have the 514X2 as well and so far it's been a good saw.

edit: Not Asian, I don't think. I think Bulgaria is what I meant to say.

Darrell Bade
06-10-2011, 4:53 PM
Hope my 514x2 is that good, I was worried after reading some of the bad post myself. I got it two weeks ago and still have not put it together but it is off the skid. Hopefully this weekend.