PDA

View Full Version : Heart Shapes for keychains or whatever

Ray Mighells
06-04-2011, 10:52 PM
Somebody asked awhile back about a source for Heart Shaped blanks for keychains. Why not make your own? You can make them the way you want them, and have them for any number of uses. I gave myself the day off today, so I played with my laser a bit. Posted a few engravings of Black Cherry wood in my Picture Trail Samples Album and cut out 44 hearts in 13 min and 07 sec196890196889

Frank Corker
06-05-2011, 9:15 AM
Nice job Ray. Did you remember to put holes in for them to be attached?

Ray Mighells
06-05-2011, 11:47 AM
Thanks Frank, I made these as multipurpose as they are a little thin to survive as on a keychain. However, if you wanted any kind of suspension and strength there's a multitude of materials that could easily be sandwiched between two pieces glued together. A neat thing to do would be to have each piece a contrasting wood and either side could have a different engraving and for additional strength the wood grains can be crossed as in plywood. I'm thinking a thin SS wire looped between and clamped up with 5 min epoxy would be plenty strong. A simple jig for easy alignment and clamping would keep it neat and quick. Under clamping pressure the wire would imbed in the wood and would never pull out. My alternative would be to make a thicker one and drill a hole in the top and glue in a wire loop. I think used guitar strings (not classical) would work as a loop. Drill the hole deep and the wire would never come out. Would look better than a screw in loop too.