PDA

View Full Version : Wooden Lathe

Baxter Smith
06-04-2011, 10:36 PM
Stopped by a local resale yard sale today when I saw this. Thought there might be some interest here.

My finger span measuring device calculated about a 20 inch swing and 4 ft bed. Not sure I need a 3rd lathe in the shop.
Plenty of oak timbers in the house with lots of mortise and tenon joints…….wooden pegs too… so I’m not sure I need it in the house either.
It comes with a nice handwheel as well as an early version of the oneway bigbite.

Everything turns freely and locks down where appropriate.
The sticky dot on it said $65.
I suppose one should check the runout and how well the centers line up before entering serious negotiations!
I don’t need this and I have better things to do. I don’t need this and I have better things to do. I don’t need this and I have better things to do…but it would be kind of cool.:)
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/misc/pencil.png

Roger Chandler
06-04-2011, 10:39 PM
I don't have room for it either...............but oh, man! :D

Donny Lawson
06-04-2011, 10:47 PM
I will agree. It is neat and I would have to check it out. It would make a good proto model and give you some great ideas of building one of your own with a few modifications. I think 40-50 dollars would have bought it. If it was around here I would of probally brought it home. I'm a sucker for things like that. I guess it's a man thing.

John Keeton
06-05-2011, 7:10 AM
That is so neat, I may even have been able to convince Ms. Keeton it needs to be a decorator item!! Baxter, you need to go back! That is a classic and easily worth the effort to buy it.

charlie knighton
06-05-2011, 7:18 AM
see if they will take $70, you need it Baxter

Cory Norgart
06-05-2011, 9:25 AM
Baxter, that is a great find. I also beleive it would be worth picking that up. Wow, old timing lathe.

Donny Lawson
06-05-2011, 10:16 AM
I would really be interested in when it was made. If by chance you go back and buy it please post more close up picks. I would really be interested in making one of them. Just because I can.

Steve Schlumpf
06-05-2011, 10:34 AM
That sure is cool! Wouldn't you just love to know a little of the history that goes along with it?

David E Keller
06-05-2011, 2:14 PM
My wife would strangle me if I brought that home, but she'll likely have another reason at some point anyway... Pretty neat looking old tool.

ray hampton
06-05-2011, 3:33 PM
you do not need that lathe, you can build a better one even if it takes you 12 months, of course , the wood will cost you 70 dollars and you will have to wait for a year to turn something on it

Baxter Smith
06-05-2011, 11:10 PM
.....If it was around here I would of probally brought it home. I'm a sucker for things like that. I guess it's a man thing.
Donny I was tempted but I was with my wife and sisterinlaw so needed to show restraint! They seem to be on a first name basis with the older woman who owns the place. You never know what they are going to come home with!

That is so neat, I may even have been able to convince Ms. Keeton it needs to be a decorator item!! Baxter, you need to go back! That is a classic and easily worth the effort to buy it.
John, my house already seems stuffed with decorator items from the past! If I was driving to St Paul, I would deliver so you and the Mrs could return home with it in the back seat!

I would really be interested in when it was made. If by chance you go back and buy it please post more close up picks. I would really be interested in making one of them. Just because I can.
Sorry Donny I didn't go back today and take more pictures. A trip to the emergency vet with my daughters 14 year old cat occupied most of the day. Coming back $500 poorer curbed my enthusiasm for spending on things of dubious longterm worth.

That sure is cool! Wouldn't you just love to know a little of the history that goes along with it?
Thats the part that would fascinate me the most!

you do not need that lathe.....
Whats need got to do with it? :D Can you imagine a picture of that hooked to the belt pulley of a 49 Farmall H? Now if I was a woodturner with a gallery.....what a great surface to display some of your work on.

ray hampton
06-06-2011, 2:32 AM
you got a 49 Farmall ? do you drive it ? do you have any pictures ? are this too many questions ?

Tim Thiebaut
06-06-2011, 7:55 AM
While browsing the web this morning I came across this site, very interesting info about building a lathe very similar to the one posted here...

http://www.mimf.com/articles/lathe/

Rob Cunningham
06-06-2011, 12:57 PM
That's a cool piece of history. It's great seeing what people from the past have made.

Tim Rinehart
06-06-2011, 2:52 PM
It would have been in back of my truck...no two thoughts about it. I have no room in my shop for it, but hey, some people have old farm implements or wagon wheels as decoration...why not an old wooden lathe!!! I'd even talk LOML into planting some nice ornamentals around it!!:D:D:D

Jamie Donaldson
06-06-2011, 3:08 PM
Hey, John K. and I have actually turned on a treadle lathe similar to this, owned by 1 of our club members! Thank goodness for the invention of the electric motor! This appears to be a "late model" that could have been belt powered by something like a mill water driven wheel.

John Hart
06-06-2011, 8:45 PM
I would buy it, clean it, let it play in the shop for a little while, then move it to the library. That puppy needs a nice home. :)

Baxter Smith
06-10-2011, 11:04 PM
Sorry, no more pictures Donny. Went back today to take some pictures(or something worse)and it was gone. They are only open Friday through Sunday.

you got a 49 Farmall ? do you drive it ? do you have any pictures ? are this too many questions ?
Ray, I sort of inherited a 49 H from my fatherinlaw's stepbrother about 15 years ago. It seemed to run fine but leaked fluids about everywhere. About 10 years ago, I got carried away on fixing the leaks. Makes a good power wheelbarrow.

While browsing the web this morning I came across this site, very interesting info about building a lathe very similar to the one posted here...

http://www.mimf.com/articles/lathe/
Thanks Tim. Interesting. This one was made from oak. Probably white, straightgrained, no knots, . Don't make them like they used to!

It would have been in back of my truck...no two thoughts about it. I have no room in my shop for it, but hey, some people have old farm implements or wagon wheels as decoration...why not an old wooden lathe!!! I'd even talk LOML into planting some nice ornamentals around it!!:D:D:D
Luckily I wasn't in a truck! A mailbox holder did cross my mind. I already have more than a few family farm implements in "storage". Plows, ox yokes, oxwheels. Museum of the past.

David DeCristoforo
06-10-2011, 11:05 PM
Needs more red...

Baxter Smith
06-10-2011, 11:37 PM
Needs more red...

Yes, but you would lose the barn red patina?:eek:

Baxter Smith
06-10-2011, 11:40 PM
I would buy it, clean it, let it play in the shop for a little while, then move it to the library. That puppy needs a nice home. :)

You and your expansive shop/gallery was the first thing I thought of when I was trying to figure out what to do with it!