PDA

View Full Version : New Glaser gouge gloat

Harvey Ghesser
06-04-2011, 9:16 PM
Hi all!

I just received my new 15V 1/2" oval Glaser gouge and man is this a sweet tool!

I roughed out a 12" big leaf maple blank and this gouge cut like there was no tomorrow. I think that the oval geometry has something to do with it because i've never been able to control the cut as well with other turning tools I own. At the end of the session, the Glaser was still sharp and I was told by Paulo at Glaser Hi-Tec that all I needed to do was to hone the edge with a diamond hone and I was back it business. He was right! It's scary sharp again!

I know this is Thompson country and let me say that I probably have every tool that Doug Thompson makes and Thompsons are fine tools but my Glaser is a cut above!:D

Gary Max
06-04-2011, 9:33 PM
Good looking tool--------maybe if I start now I can talk Santa into one. I am a P&N fan but always looking for something new.

David DeCristoforo
06-04-2011, 10:11 PM
I've never used a Thompson tool so I cannot offer any comparisons. But my 5/8" Glaser harpoon is fast becoming my "go to" tool in spite of the overkill factor.

Harvey Ghesser
06-04-2011, 10:26 PM
I've already ordered my 5/8 from Paulo. Just waiting for my name to be engraved. I CAN HARDLY WAIT!!

David E Keller
06-05-2011, 2:24 PM
Congrats on the new tool, Harvey! It's certainly an impressive looking tool, and I'm glad to hear that the function follows the form.

Joe Landon
06-05-2011, 5:31 PM
The Glaser Hitec tools are awesome! I have the 5/8" and 3/8" oval bowl gouges and the screw chuck. The more I use them, the more I love them...

Steve Schlumpf
06-06-2011, 12:18 AM
Harvey - congrats on your new gouge! Sounds like you are enjoying it! Be sure to post a photo of the 5/8" when it comes in!