PDA

View Full Version : A couple of firsts

Kathy Marshall
06-04-2011, 8:41 PM
Nothing special, just a couple of firsts for me.
Our club's Presidents Challenge for June is Toys. I haven't done any of the toys before so I thought I better get crackin.

I did the red/blue ball & cup toy first. It was from a blank of glued up dunno wood that my dad had glued up into a 4x4 years ago. It was a big blank, so I thought what the heck, and made it into a big ball & cup toy, the ball is almost 3" in diameter :eek: dyed with Rit dye then applied Ren wax for some protection (didn't see the need to spend a bunch of time on a finish for a piece that's meant to get banged up).

Next I did the smaller ball & cup out of a piece of poplar. The shape came out much better on this one and the cup was hollowed deeper and the ball is almost a perfect sphere. I applied friction polish and Ren wax.
Just need to get some string to attach the balls and try them out.

Next I chucked up a hard maple blank and turned a couple of tops (talk about quick and easy), one is dyed dark green and the other is red on top and blue on the bottom then applied Ren wax. Tested them out and they both spin :D

With what was left of the maple blank, I turned another ball for practice.

I then started thinking of what other toys I could turn, but nothing came to mind so I decided to try a mushroom. Found a small acacia log about 3 - 3 1/2" diameter. Undercutting the cap was probably the hardest part. With the stem base being so wide, I kept knocking my knuckles against it because of the angle needed to get the gouge up into the top of the cap. It's about 5 1/2" tall and just has a coat of DO so far and will probably finish it up with some satin poly. I made the wide base so it would stand on it's own with the oblong cap (the log had a bend in it). As usual, it looked thinner on the lathe, I'll know for the next one to make the stem much thinner.

All in all, they were some fun little projects.

Thanks for looking!
As always comments and critiques are welcome.

David DeCristoforo
06-04-2011, 8:44 PM
Great looking toys, Kathy! And useful too!!! The 'shroom" is very cool too...

Greg Just
06-04-2011, 8:48 PM
Toys are cool and I love the mushrooms. I have been thinking about making some mushrooms for the garden and you have inspired me. Thanks!

Steve Schlumpf
06-04-2011, 8:50 PM
Looks like you had fun with everything! I like the dyed toys - just to keep things different - and really like your mushrooms! Stem could be thinner but overall the look is great!

Looking forward to seeing what is next!

John Keeton
06-04-2011, 9:10 PM
Kathy - timely thread for me!! We just had our annual June club meeting/social gathering/cookout, and Jamie Donaldson (fellow creeker, too!) did a quick demo with a mushroom. He knocked one out very quickly and says that he just dunks them in deck sealer so they can be used outside. The one he did was from a locust log, and the form was much more elongated. I like yours, as well! Great job on the ball/cup toys, too.

Curt Fuller
06-04-2011, 10:34 PM
The toys look fun and I really like the mushroom, especially the way you offset it.

Roger Chandler
06-04-2011, 10:43 PM
Cool stuff, Kathy!

Baxter Smith
06-04-2011, 10:44 PM
Nice toys Kathy and the mushroom is really cool!

Michael James
06-05-2011, 10:25 AM
Nice work! It seems your repertoire grows almost weekly. You seem to be getting a good command of the dye process and very good results with the RIT. I've only used that to tie dye a few shirts back in,...well a while ago!
mj

David E Keller
06-05-2011, 2:06 PM
Nicely done, Kathy! The toys are neat, but that mushroom is just too cool.