PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for my first Japanese style plane

John Coloccia
06-04-2011, 5:50 PM
I'd like to try a Japanese style plane. This is for a number of reasons. First, I just think they're cool. Second, I suffer a bit from "tennis elbow"...I think pulling will give me a chance to use different muscles and relieve some of the bother.

So I want a jointer that's appropriate for jointing pieces that are about 20 inches and less. What should I be looking for?

Jerome Hanby
06-04-2011, 6:05 PM
No help with the plane. But I had that type of tendonitis hit me a while back and the Doc told me to get one of those braces from the drug store. I used it while woodworking and never had a twinge...

Curt Putnam
06-04-2011, 10:23 PM
I would start (and probably finish) by asking Stu Tierny. His website is: http://www.toolsfromjapan.com/store/

Harlan Barnhart
06-04-2011, 11:10 PM
Stu is very helpful and generous with his knowledge/time. He answered all my questions about saws even though I didn't buy from him (yet). I plan to when my tool allowance builds up....

Pam Niedermayer
06-05-2011, 12:55 AM
...So I want a jointer that's appropriate for jointing pieces that are about 20 inches and less. What should I be looking for?

If you mean primarily for edge jointing, I'd shoot for a 54mm (so its shape won't be affected by humidity) Mosaku (means work of Mo) jointer with dai of Hon red oak. I'm not sure they're still available new; but haunt ebay. I love mine, use it mainly for shooting, but also edge jointing. Photo below.

If for face jointing, I'd get a wider blade, say 70 or 80mm, also shoot for hon red oak; but regular Japanese white oak (kashi) will do fine. The main difference between a large smoother and a jointer is the jointer is 5-6" longer and the mouth is a bit wider.

I also suggest you contact Stu on this, since he carries Tsunesaburo blades/planes and may be able to enlighten about the availability of Mosaku planes.

Pam

Stuart Tierney
06-05-2011, 5:47 PM
I also suggest you contact Stu on this, since he carries Tsunesaburo blades/planes and may be able to enlighten about the availability of Mosaku planes.

Pam

They're rare, I've not seen many in the wild here. No more than 3 or 4.

But they're a 'tick the box' when ordering. All the way up to 600mm. You could theoretically have longer, but we all (here) start to wonder how you manage to keep control of such a monster without any handles on it.

Typically, you're looking at what is effectively a try plane in length as a 'flattener', and even then, most folks I've seen here usually use a regular sized plane to get anything flat and straight. Called 'nagadai' which means long body, they're fairly common but are outnumbered (at least 1:20) by regular length kanna and a bit of good judgement and work methods.

In short, folks here don't use jointers. They use regular planes.

FWIW, new red oak is rare. Not enough good quality raw material available. If you can find akagashi (red oak), hoard it.

Hope that helps.

Stu.

John Coloccia
06-05-2011, 7:08 PM
Thanks guys. A fellow creeker has been kind enough to offer to lend me one of his planes. When I get it, I'll have a much better idea of what I want and what will work for me. You gotta' love this place :)

Jim Matthews
06-05-2011, 7:51 PM
It's packed, ready for travel.

David Weaver
06-05-2011, 8:05 PM
If you mean primarily for edge jointing, I'd shoot for a 54mm (so its shape won't be affected by humidity) Mosaku (means work of Mo) jointer with dai of Hon red oak. I'm not sure they're still available new; but haunt ebay. I love mine, use it mainly for shooting, but also edge jointing. Photo below.

If for face jointing, I'd get a wider blade, say 70 or 80mm, also shoot for hon red oak; but regular Japanese white oak (kashi) will do fine. The main difference between a large smoother and a jointer is the jointer is 5-6" longer and the mouth is a bit wider.

Pam

Mosaku is retired. Tomohito was the last person I saw selling them new, and they were pretty dear (about $600 with shipping). they'd be more now that the exchange rate is a lot worse than it was a couple of years ago. I found one on ebay early this year, but that's the only one I've seen. I set it up and haven't used it much, but of what I've done, it is superb. Hard and durable, and sharpness you'd expect from white steel (I was afraid to get white steel without getting one from a maker who had a reputation with white steel).

I'd just go through stu and go by budget. It's my suggestion to start with a smoother. Tsunesaburo planes have a good reputation in tokyo hardware shops according to a couple of people I've talked to. That pretty much says all you need to know, because there is plenty that they regard as inferior or too showy to be for serious use (those two categories cover a lot of what is available in the US).

It will be a lot easier on your elbow if it doesn't hurt on the first stroke. Totally different set of muscles and a great thing to mix in with western planes if you're not in fantastic shape but like to be able to rough lumber for an hour or two without feeling like someone beat you up.

It would also be my suggestion as a user who started with western planes to go with something somewhere between the standard dai length (which I believe to be in the 11 inch range for a full sized smoother) and what you think of as a jointer. A 400mm plane can get things plenty flat if you set it up right, and it won't be ungainly.

David Weaver
06-05-2011, 8:05 PM
It's packed, ready for travel.

Now *that's* a good solution.

John Coloccia
06-11-2011, 9:24 PM
Jim sent me his. I've been playing around with it. I like it so much I'm keeping it, sending back a trim router in trade. You gotta love this place :)

I find myself going back and forth between this and my western planes. It really relieves a lot of stress off my elbows to be able to switch back and forth.

Tony Shea
06-11-2011, 9:40 PM
How bout a pic John. Would love to see what you've come up with.

John Coloccia
06-11-2011, 10:45 PM
How bout a pic John. Would love to see what you've come up with.

Here's right where it was laying on my bench. It's getting used and I like it. Adjusting the iron definitely takes a bit of a touch, but it only took a few minutes to get the hang of it. Thanks Jim!