PDA

View Full Version : Delta Drum Sander 31-260X ?'s

Jason Eule
06-04-2011, 3:15 PM
Delta 31-260X Drum Sander

Does anyone who owns/used this tool have positive or negative feedback about it. I am trying to find a drum sander..I would like a 26" woodmaster...but don't have near the cash flow, and can not locate a used one....so the next best thing I can think of is to get something like this.

I would prefer 220V setup like the above mentioned woodmaster but it looks like 110v is going to be the ticket right now. I have a spiral carbide 15" planer that works great...so I have gotten by for a long time using ROS sanders.

1) Besides the dust hood, has delta improved on the machine from its predecessors
2) I see most opt for the Jet 16/32, the delta provides 18/36...is there a reason that people do not seem to go delta route
3) I know delta has a raised bed rather than a moving head...aside from the problem of adding extensions...I heard this allowed them to beef up the drum assembly. Is this true?
4) The main reason I am contemplating this right now is to save time...will something like this save me time? Does anyone think I should NOT buy a drum sander like this given your experiences...would better hand planes be a superior option?

Thanks all-

Jason

ed vitanovec
06-04-2011, 11:38 PM
I had one of the first Delta 18/36 for 7 years. It was a good tool for me and I did not have the problems others complained about. They are real time savers and you need to use them as a sander taking small passes. I think some users were expecting planer results and taking large passes. Also dust collection is a must for any brand of drum sander. I sold mine because I came across a 26" dual drum sander at a great price, otherwise I'd still have the Delta. I would recommend the Delta. My Delta came with extensions on both the in and out feed, it was an accessory and I'm not sure if the extensions are still available. The frame on these are really rigid.

Regards!
Ed

Jim Falsetti
06-05-2011, 7:51 AM
Jason,

I purchased a used Delta 18/36 about three years ago. For the first year it was terrific. However, a couple of winters ago, the belt started skipping teeth. It has plastic teeth on the bevel gears and is a bear to adjust properly once the table goes out of alignment. After several unsuccessful alignment attempts, and getting a repair estimate of at least $150 (the local repair place had three in the shop and were very familiar with the problem), I developed a future plan to replace the plastic gears with metal ones.

Based on my experience, your money might be better spent elsewhere.

Jim

Paul McGaha
06-05-2011, 7:55 AM
Jason,

I bought an older version of the drum sander you are looking at last year, a Delta 31-250. I've used it on a couple of projects and really like it.

Having the drum sander for me means far less sanding with a random orbit sander but it does not eliminate the need for a ros.

As for the beds moving instead of the head its not really an issue for me as all of the milling operations are done by the time the stock gets to the sander and the length of the stock is not usually all that long at this point. At least on the pieces I tend to make.

I see lots of positive posts from Jet/Performax owners also so thats probably a good choice too.

Good luck with the purchase.

PHM

Jason Eule
06-05-2011, 8:43 AM
Thanks guys for the info.

Jim to elaborate on your answer....was the drum sander you had the 31-260x or was it a different model. The reason I ask is I am trying to find out some more info about this model in particular to see if it has improved since earlier models. There is very very little info on this model line on the internet and I don't know anyone personally who has one. The plastic gear thing has me worried, but I have not been able to get a positive confirmation as to if the plastic gears are still used in the new model.

As to the plastic gear troubles..If you replaced them with metal ones do you believe all the trouble would go away?...and secondly would it not still be under warranty throgh Delta..or is the 5 year warranty something recent?

Thanks all-

Jim Falsetti
06-05-2011, 8:19 PM
Jason - the model number of mine is 31-250, and it is out of warranty. The plastic gears are most likely used in the 31-260X, but perhaps you could contact Delta, or a local Delta service center.

Don't know if all the troubles would be fixed, but the service folks advised the gears are normally worn and the belt should be replaced.

best regards,
Jim