PDA

View Full Version : What do you get when you cross O1 and monkeypod?

Leigh Betsch
06-04-2011, 11:10 AM
Plane floats of course!
The edge, side and crank neck floats are 1/4 thick O1 - (It's what I had on hand).
The check float is 1/8 thick O1 - also had a narrow piece on hand that worked well here.
All floats are push floats except the side float was cut push on one side and pull on the other.
The edge float maybe should have had the 12 degree angle along the entire edge but my stock was too narrow.
All cut on my metal shaper and then touched with a file to sharpen.
If I get a chance I'll post a few pics of the shaper in action in the metal working forum.
The monkeypod? I don't suppose anyone would believe that it grows wild here in SD and I just wondered out to the pasture and picked up a few pieces? Actually I got it from a fellow Creeker in Hawaii. Makes some nice tool handles with a bit of Tru Oil on it.

Chris Fournier
06-04-2011, 11:58 AM
M01nkeypod?

I can't wait for you to send me a set Leigh! Those are gorgeous. When you say metal shaper do you have a smaller Atlas or something like that? That would be a great way to produce those tools.

David Weaver
06-04-2011, 2:27 PM
Nice, Leigh. Floats are so nice to have around.

Leigh Betsch
06-05-2011, 9:24 AM
I am very surprised at how smooth of a surface that they leave. I used the crank neck on a maple cabinet I'm building, the surface it left was as good as a card scraper. I guess it's like having multiple scraping edges doing the work. I think I'll make one more ~ 2" wide just to use for smoothing rough grain surfaces.

Anyone know how I got the goof looking smiley on the title? I don't remember adding it unless I did it by mistake.

David Weaver
06-05-2011, 10:24 AM
I think there is a box that allows you to set smileys for the thread. Probably brushed over the section and hit one by accident.