PDA

View Full Version : batteries for trend airshield

allen thunem
06-04-2011, 10:57 AM
I saw in the not too distant past someone giving a tutorial on making replacement battery packs for the trend air shield.
Not sure which forum I saw it but if anyone else has info on where it is i would appreciate a heads up on the link.
drop me a pm please
thanks in advance

Michael James
06-04-2011, 11:11 AM
Allen try the search function in the upper right corner and it will pull past posts for you. I Hope this helps.
mj

Steve Schlumpf
06-04-2011, 11:17 AM
Allen - I know there are a few threads here dealing with building your own battery pack and I remember following one of them myself when I built mine. Here is an article (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?51711-Airshield-quot-Ion-Drive-quot-is-complete...) on how one member built his - just one option.

Ken Fitzgerald
06-04-2011, 11:39 AM
Here is one article:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?51711-Airshield-quot-Ion-Drive-quot-is-complete...&highlight=

I used another article for a reference. I bought the batteries, a battery pack and smart charger for the batteries. It cost me about the price for 2 battery packs BUT...I ended up with 4 battery packs for my Trend Airshield....they last twice as long as the original ones did and in the future 7 dollars worth of rechargable batteries will provide a new pack. The smart charger prevents the batteries from being over charged which the original charger from Trend didn't do. Over charging can shorten the life of the battery. The new batteries I purchased to make the battery packs with had a higher amp/hour rating and work much better.

I will look for the other article I had to provide information.

You can also use this article. I used this article and the source that Chris points out in his article here at the Creek. The prices were good and I had good service from them too. http://azwoodturners.org/100_-_Airshield_Battery_Pack.pdf

Steve Schlumpf
06-04-2011, 12:14 PM
Allen - I found the original PDF on how to build your own battery pack. PM me with your email address and I will forward.

Never mind... here is a direct link to the PDF (http://azwoodturners.org/100_-_Airshield_Battery_Pack.pdf).

allen thunem
06-04-2011, 2:05 PM
thanks a bunch steve
now just have to decide which route to take
have you done one of these?
and if so which did you prefer and why

Steve Schlumpf
06-04-2011, 2:41 PM
Allen - I made a few of them and found that they worked quite well - especially when using the newer rechargeable batteries used with digital cameras. I have since moved on to a different system and gave my homemade battery packs away.

Lori Kleinberg
06-06-2011, 9:00 AM
This is a very timely posting, since I was actually considering trying Batteries Plus for a better (read as cheaper) battery pack. I also wondered why the battery pack that comes with the airshield fits so badly :confused:.

I don't mean to hi-jack this thread, especially with a really dum question, but how do I know when to replace the filters on my Trend airshield :o.
I realize when the filter gets dirty, but how dirty is dirty :(especially considering the costs of these filters.

Roger Chandler
06-06-2011, 9:56 AM
This is a very timely posting, since I was actually considering trying Batteries Plus for a better (read as cheaper) battery pack. I also wondered why the battery pack that comes with the airshield fits so badly :confused:.

I don't mean to hi-jack this thread, especially with a really dum question, but how do I know when to replace the filters on my Trend airshield :o.
I realize when the filter gets dirty, but how dirty is dirty :(especially considering the costs of these filters.

Lori,

I have had my Airshield pro for about a year,...........I have taken my air hose and blown compressed air back through the holes at the top of the shield on the inside near the headband..........that allows air to flow back from its normal exit point on the face shield back through the inside of the filter dislodging some of the dust and prolongs the filter life. I have purchased new filters, but have not needed to install them yet.............hope this helps.

Ken Fitzgerald
06-06-2011, 10:12 AM
Lori,

I used the 2nd article to buid new batteries and it worked well.

My Trend Airshield came with a flow detector. It is a piece of clear plastic tube with some small colored balls in it. I place it over the hole inside the faceshield, and turn it on. If all the balls are blown up off the bottom of the detector, I have enough air flow.

Lori Kleinberg
06-06-2011, 5:22 PM
Thanks Roger, that does help. I too have extra filters, but don't want to use them too soon.

Ken, I will have to double check but I don't recall seeing anything like that to check air flow.

Ken Fitzgerald
06-06-2011, 5:30 PM
Lori,

I will take a photo of mine and post it here.

Phil Landwer
10-25-2011, 7:38 PM
So, I built a new battery pack for my Airshield Pro, following directions from up here.
When I turn it on, the fan spins up, nice and fast, and I've got fresh batteries in it.
However, the alarm is constantly beeping.
Anyone know how to disable that?
I know what the alarm is supposed to mean....but has anyone tried to disable it?

Alan Zenreich
10-25-2011, 8:42 PM
The alarm shoul ring when it senses low voltage. What is the voltage being supplied by your battery pack? Even with low voltage the fan may still run strongly for a while.

Alan Zenreich
10-25-2011, 8:45 PM
Also make sure that the voltage is correct for your AirShield Pro, which may have a different voltage requirement than the original AirShield

Ken Fitzgerald
10-25-2011, 9:55 PM
That battery pack design was NOT for the Trend Airshield Pro but for the earlier Trend Airshield. In your original comment in another thread you stated you had the Trend Airshield. Thus, the Trend Airshield charger I mailed out to you won't work. Keep it any way.

I will research it but I suspect you need a higher voltage battery pack and that's why the alarm is going off. Don't bypass.

Alan Zenreich
10-25-2011, 9:56 PM
It looks like both versions of the AirShield use 3.6 volt batteries. The Pro is rated at 3.5Ah

Ken Fitzgerald
10-25-2011, 10:06 PM
Alan....that's what I found too. The Airshield used Nicads....the Pro use NIMH....... It would be interesting to measure the output voltage of a fully charged battery pack to insure it's at least 3.6vdc.