PDA

View Full Version : Sanding discs...green , yellow, blue, white.......

Michael Ginsberg
06-04-2011, 10:51 AM
There seem to be many "premium" discs out there. Between Sanding Glove, Packard, Craft Supply and others, they all seem to say something different. What "color" is the best overall? I currently use "wave" for the insides of bowls and round for outsides. I have green and yellow now. What do you all think is the best?

Roger Chandler
06-04-2011, 11:11 AM
Micheal,

I have gotten my best results with the "blue" disks. I purchased some from Vince, at our state symposium, and have gotten some from our local club which bought them from the manufacturer. I find they last longer, the grit is embedded into the disk with a much better adhesive, and they cut better as well.

Michael Ginsberg
06-04-2011, 11:33 AM
Roger,Are those the ones from 3M? Sanding Glove has those as well. I don't think they make a wave style for insides.

David E Keller
06-04-2011, 11:36 AM
+1 for Vince's stuff. I've had great luck with his blue discs and more recently have gone to his pink discs with great success. I've also used Klingspor cloth paper from their bargain boxes in the past, and it's good paper but not hook and loop.

Steve Schlumpf
06-04-2011, 12:23 PM
Another vote for Vince's Blue Flex disks. I know he offers additional material options but I have been real happy with the blue and have not felt the need to experiment with anything else.

Reed Gray
06-04-2011, 1:11 PM
The only discs out there that I haven't tried are the purple ceramic ones from 3M. They only come in PSA (pressure sensitive adhesive). I prefer the blue discs from Vince as well. Best value (more bang for your buck), and best abrasive (cuts great, lasts longer, even grit). He also has great interface pads. The firm ones have a 1/4 round profile which works way better inside the bowl. He now has a thicker more rounded one that works even better inside the bowl, and great on the outside as well. His discs are over sized (2 3/8, and 3 3/8 inch), so they work fine inside a bowl, and cover the edge of the pad.

I did try some of the pink discs. I found the lower grits (80 to 120) to be at least as good as the blue, the 180 is good as well, but the higher grits seemed to wear out more quickly. I will stick with the blue.

Vince forgot more about sanding than I will ever learn.

Did you check out the recent thread about sanding grits?

robo hippy

Michael Ginsberg
06-04-2011, 1:15 PM
Thanks Guys. I will be putting in a order on Monday. I appreciate your help. Have a great weekend!

Dave Ogren
06-04-2011, 2:34 PM
Another vote for Vince's Blue discs. I also have some of his new ones but have not evaluated them yet. Vince says that they are even butter. Vince is big on low sanding speed, that has helped me a lot. Good Luck