charlie knighton
06-04-2011, 7:38 AM
Rollick

maple stump

29 x 23 x 1 1/2

:)

John Keeton
06-04-2011, 7:40 AM
WOW!!! Charlie, that is one very nice decorative piece!! I have never really thought about leaving flat area on something like this. It would be neat to add a flat, rectangular base to give this thing some "stand alone" stability - perhaps of a darker wood.

Very nice work!!!

Steve Schlumpf
06-04-2011, 8:22 AM
That sure is pretty! Love the grain and the bits of color! Must have been fun turning something that large! Nice work!

James Combs
06-04-2011, 8:41 AM
Great looking decoration. Thanks for posting. It gives me an idea for something one of my sisters has been asking for.

David E Keller
06-04-2011, 10:04 AM
That's cool, Charlie. I'll bet that was a lot of work getting that thing smooth, but it looks great. Where's the rest of that stump?

charlie knighton
06-04-2011, 11:39 AM
It would be neat to add a flat, rectangular base to give this thing some "stand alone" stability - perhaps of a darker wood.

I agree, John, and thanks for the comments.

Must have been fun turning something that large! Nice work!

yes, it was fun and a learning experience. i had to remount it because i was a little too bold for my first attemp. it was turned on a jet 1642 1.5 evs. thanks for your comments Steve.

thanks for your comments James

I'll bet that was a lot of work getting that thing smooth, but it looks great. Where's the rest of that stump?

i used some 40 and 80 grit on belt sander to start off with. i have one more piece about the same size but 2 inches thick. the rest of the stump is at Pace Custom Sawing, ask for Ben or Adam. 276-806-4398 or 276-956-9124. it is amazing how they can cut something up, i imagine they could do the same with a big burl, i know my chainsaw skills are not that good. they use a big band saw. try to imagine manhandling a big stump, they have the equipment. thanks David for your comments.

Michael James
06-04-2011, 1:20 PM
Really nice piece Charlie! +1 for the base, but it's way ok as is. Thx for posting.
mj

Roland Martin
06-04-2011, 2:41 PM
That's a great looking slice'o'stump. A good conversation starter, nice job. Now, that's a chunk you wouldn't want to come loose:eek::eek:

Cathy Schaewe
06-04-2011, 4:14 PM
Wow, that is just neat! Great job!!!

charlie knighton
06-04-2011, 7:12 PM
+1 for the base

Thanks Michael for the comments, some type of base is under consideration

Now, that's a chunk you wouldn't want to come loose:eek::eek:

i use Nick Agar method of mounting the blank, 1st time and definitely have a lot to learn using it, but it gives you a lot of options and does not mar the back of the piece up. thanks again Roland for your comments.

just neat!

thanks Cathy, i call mine Bear Clawed series, but check this out
http://turningintoart.com/sculpture.php
look at his wall hangings

Baxter Smith
06-04-2011, 9:14 PM
Impressive piece Charlie! Really like the color and character! Would love to try something like this someday though I would be too cheap(not smart enough as well) to take it anywhere to get it sawn. Did you take any pictures along the way? Thanks for the Nick Agar link too. Interesting stuff though I didn't see any mention of his mounting methods.

charlie knighton
06-05-2011, 1:53 AM
Did you take any pictures along the way?
well, here are a couple, thanks for your comments Baxter
i saw Nick Agar's rotation richmond '08, finnally found a source for some blanks
i believe i cut the mdf down a little when i remounted the faceplate, when you manually rotate the piece and stop it with the handwheel, be sure to have the set screws in on faceplate/spindel, it will unscrew itself if handwheel is stopped, how do i know?????? fun!!!!!