PDA

View Full Version : Ack! Learning waaaay to many things on this HF--more help please

Dale Coons
06-03-2011, 9:49 PM
No pic this go. The pecan hollow form I was turning actually looks great thanks to many of you. But I have a problem with the finish. (ill post before and after when I get the finish fixed). I used watco on it and it's gummy and won't dry. :confused: Opened the can in maybe sept or oct and have used it along with success. Maybe its the humidity now? Or does it go that fast?

I've sanded and washed with DNA so I am back to wood. Its kind of humid here now. Get a new can of watco? try something else, maybe spray laquer or wipe on poly? I am a little nervous.

Things I learned:

-be bold. while you can't put it back on, most of the time (at least for me) a little more needs to come off. Two rounds of people suggesting a smaller foot and a catch requiring more to come off to smooth it out made it just about right.:D

-Turn lids a little smaller than you think they need to be. Wood swells with finish, and that nice snug fit you started with now fits like humperdink's pants. :eek: (cuss, make a jam chuck, trim, sand,....)

-and of course, i'll learn something from comments about the finish! :rolleyes:

Thanks

Jim Burr
06-03-2011, 10:45 PM
-be bold. while you can't put it back on, most of the time (at least for me) a little more needs to come off. Two rounds of people suggesting a smaller foot and a catch requiring more to come off to smooth it out made it just about right.:D

Ha!! I thought everyone knew that trick Dale! Had that happen on my last 2 and came out with tiny feet. I'm sure there is an easier way ;):rolleyes:

Steve Schlumpf
06-03-2011, 11:30 PM
Dale - humidity is always a problem when trying to get a finish to dry but I have had similar problems with Watco and also with wipe-on poly. Like you, I used DNA to remove the gummy mess and then went and picked up a new can of finish. No problems with the new can of finish. Just have to remember to squeeze most of the air out of the can before sealing the lid and also when the finish doesn't want to dry... it's time to replace.

David E Keller
06-03-2011, 11:43 PM
Sounds like you've picked up quite a bit from this mysterious hollow form... Looking forward to seeing it. On the finish, you may have only had the can a few months, but it may have been sitting on a shelf somewhere for a year before you got it. Unless there's something else you can pinpoint, I'd spring for a new can of your favorite topcoat.

Tim Thiebaut
06-04-2011, 12:12 AM
Up until last week it had been raining here in colorado almost everyday for 3 weeks....I have things in my curing/drying box that are still tacky from 2 weeks ago, its just going to take it a little longer because of the humidity here now I guess.

Mark A Johnson
06-04-2011, 3:44 PM
A couple of things I learned with finish, glues, and epoxies. I date the container when its opened, then it's question on how long I have been using it. The second thing is displacing the air space in the container. I add marbles and or squeeze the container until the neck is full, then it gets sealed. By doing these things, it helps keep the liquids as fresh as possible.

Harry Robinette
06-04-2011, 9:12 PM
About the finish I put a piece of Siran Wrap on the can,bottle or whatever container then the lid. This seals it and then I put it away UPSIDE DOWN. All the air goes to the bottom and I have good finish on top.As always JMHO