PDA

View Full Version : And if you didn't like that one...

Jim Burr
06-03-2011, 9:19 PM
I'm Mike Smiths new adopted needy child. This is some soaking wet redwood he cut in NorCal a few months ago. He sent it as a get well gift on my 4th day in the hospital...what a sight for sore eyes...and the rest of me! Turned and hollowed to about 1/4" and DNA'd for 5 days. Newspaper wrap and in the locker for 3 weeks. Not much warpage so I got stupid and took it down to 1/16". A bit flat on the bottom and you could blow it off the table. Has the grain structure of mesquite. 5x2.5 with 4 coats of WOP...still might wet sand it because it looks a little peely.
C&C used on the next one.

Steve Schlumpf
06-03-2011, 11:46 PM
Jim - looks pretty good to me! Sure has some intense color! 1/16" is getting down there! Pretty cool when you pick one up that is super thin and it feels like you are holding a potato chip! Nice work on this!

David E Keller
06-03-2011, 11:52 PM
Pretty cool turning and a nice gesture on Mike's part. I don't think I've ever seen redwood that looked like that, but it does remind me a bit of mesquite until you put the finish on it. The only thing that I might consider for a future form would be moving the widest point a little up or down the form... It may just be the photos, but the maximum diameter seems a little close to the middle of the piece to me. Heck of a job getting it that thin. Thanks for sharing.