PDA

View Full Version : Walnut and Curly Maple Jewelry Box

Prashun Patel
06-03-2011, 8:51 PM
I made this for my niece's Sweet 16.

The basis for this was a Wood Magazine design about 2 years ago.

The pulls are ebonized (vinegar + steel wool) walnut. The finish is garnet shellac.

Hans Braul
06-03-2011, 8:54 PM
That is one sweet little piece! Well done!

Hans

gary Zimmel
06-03-2011, 9:57 PM
Lots of brownie points for uncle Prashun... Real nice job.

Russ Massery
06-04-2011, 11:11 AM
Very nice, always liked the combination of maple and walnut. Great job.

Tony Shea
06-05-2011, 5:26 PM
Very nice box. My girl friend is making a jewelry box right now as her first project. It is of black walnut and BE Maple panel for the lid. I noticed you have a ring holder in one of the drawers. Would love to know more about how you made this compartment and the actual pillows for the rings. A close up pic of it would be helpful as well.

Prashun Patel
06-05-2011, 6:57 PM
Thanks.

The drawer boxes are 1/4" maple.
The inserts are also 1/4" maple, dyed black (I coulda matched it better had I chose a better dye). The front and back inserts are dado'd to accept the dividers. Everythings just friction fitted so it can be reconfigured.

Doing inserts on the sides and front/backs allowed me to neatly cover the edges of the velvet.

The ring pads are from Rockler ("padded ring bars"). They are not cheap, but you get about 2ft of material, which should last a couple boxes. You just cross cut to width, and stack them depthwise, using a utility knife to cut off the extra. Mine fit perfectly, but if yr's does not, you can just shim out the back of the box.

Dave Gaul
06-06-2011, 9:18 AM
Prashun, that is a gorgeous box man!