PDA

View Full Version : The Sorby Hollow Monster

David DeCristoforo
06-03-2011, 7:51 PM
The "amphora" pieces I have been doing lately require hollowing a pretty small bulb. Not too difficult to do but with the narrow necked ones, the opening is much smaller and the only tool I had that would fit through an opening that small was the Sorby "Mini Hollowing Tool" which only has a 3/8" shank. The problem is that my forms are getting pretty deep for such a lightweight tool and I figured the main issue was the puny handle. So I decided to make a more robust handle for it. I went to the hardware store to get one of the bronze bushings I like to use for ferrules and suddenly I remembered that expensive, laser lit Monster articulated rig that is sitting by the lathe the whole time and the light went on (as I have said before, he's not too quick but he can be taught!). So I got a couple of bushings that would shim the 3/8" swan neck Sorby to 5/8" and a couple of set screws figuring I could use the set screws to lock the bushing to the tool shank. But the fit was so snug that I had to hammer the crap out of the bushing to get it on the shank at all. Perfect! The 5/8" OD was also tight but a bit of work with some emory and it slipped right into the Monster tool holder. I ground a flat on the side of the bushing where the set screws make contact and Voila! I give you the Sorby Hollow Monster.

Tim Thiebaut
06-03-2011, 8:06 PM
That looks like a good use for it, and this is what you used on your Amphora's? I have the same tool but as you said it is so light duty, and the handle so small 5 minutes of useing it and my hands are numb from the vibration...I hardly ever use it now. Looks like a good mod, maybe I will do this with mine someday when I get a hollowing rig.

David DeCristoforo
06-03-2011, 8:17 PM
"...and this is what you used..."

Si. And I had the same problems you mentioned with my hands getting numb from the vibration, especially with it hanging out four or five inched over the tool rest! That's why i was thinking about a bigger handle that would be easier to grip. And there's so much torque with the tool extended that far that the chance of a catch is increased and we all know what happens when you get a catch like that inside a small thin walled form!

I'm taking this out for a drive tomorrow and I can't imagine how it could not be massively (or should I say "monstrously") better.

John Keeton
06-03-2011, 8:34 PM
David, your carpal tunnel syndrome is going to love this new setup!!! That has to be a major improvement. Now, you just need to tell us exactly which bushing you got to go from 3/8" to 5/8"!

And.......I need to talk to you about the condition of the ways on your lathe, and what appears to be slight corrosion on the Monster!!!:eek: Is that one of the inherent dangers of an outdoor shop?

David E Keller
06-03-2011, 8:47 PM
Looks like it'll take some of the beating off of you... Even better would be to replace that wide scraper tip with a much smaller version say 3/16 or even 1/8. I think part of the trouble you're having is hollowing with a tip that's as wide as the bar. I've got the midi version of the hollowmaster, and it's got an eighth inch cutter for hollowing and a round scraper for smoothing.

Roger Chandler
06-03-2011, 8:48 PM
And.......I need to talk to you about the condition of the ways on your lathe, and what appears to be slight corrosion on the Monster!!!:eek: Is that one of the inherent dangers of an outdoor shop?

I was wondering the same thing! :eek::eek::eek:

David DeCristoforo
06-03-2011, 9:32 PM
"...I need to talk to you about the condition of the ways on your lathe, and what appears to be slight corrosion on the Monster..."

"...I was wondering the same thing..."

Oh crap. It's the fuzz.

Ya gotta remember to be careful about what you post on the internet. Next thing you know, the shop police are coming down on you! Yeah, there's a bit of rust. I scrub it off now and then with some steel wool and wax. I should have included a warning about the graphic nature of the pics... Sorry about that.

David DeCristoforo
06-03-2011, 9:39 PM
"...tell us exactly which bushing you got to go from 3/8" to 5/8"..."

Actually it's two bushings, a 3/8" - 1/2" and a 1/2" - 5/8". Both out of the bushings tray at the local Ace. They did not have one that would work alone. But like I said, these things had to be pounded together so the fit is very tight and should be sufficient to keep things from torquing around under load.

Baxter Smith
06-03-2011, 9:40 PM
Great idea David! I have the 3 piece set that is still in its original packaging dated 1994. Came with a lathe and a lot of tools I picked up. Have never even given them a try. If I ever get around to trying them and they don't work out, maybe I will remember this.:rolleyes::)

Cathy Schaewe
06-03-2011, 9:49 PM
This gives me some ideas ...

and for the record (does that sound judicial or what?) let me note that the fuzz did not include me. I did not pay any attention to the extreme corrosion or deteriorated ways.:eek:;):D

Don Alexander
06-04-2011, 3:46 AM
looks like Sorby owes you for making that tool usable :D

David DeCristoforo
06-04-2011, 4:39 PM
WARNING!!! THE PHOTOGRAPH BELOW DEPICTS UNSWEPT SHAVINGS, SAWDUST, RUST SPOTS AND GENERAL UNTIDINESS. PLEASE BE SO ADVISED AND TO NOT VIEW THE IMAGE IF YOU ARE OFFENDED BY THESE GRAPHIC IMAGES.

This setup works great!!! No more fighting the thing and having the laser in play is really nice. I'm going to buy a bit of 3/8" straight rod and a couple more bushings and make a straight bar for it too.

David DeCristoforo
06-04-2011, 6:23 PM
WARNING!!! THE PHOTOGRAPH BELOW DEPICTS UNSWEPT SHAVINGS, SAWDUST, RUST SPOTS AND GENERAL UNTIDINESS. PLEASE BE SO ADVISED AND TO NOT VIEW THE IMAGE IF YOU ARE OFFENDED BY THESE GRAPHIC IMAGES.

An hour later, a 3/8" steel rod, a bit of grinding and two more bushings and I'm ready to dive back into turning. This gets the lower part of my small hollow forms with ease. The swan neck tool was binding up at the bottom of the form due to the close quarters. This little guy does the trick.

I might even clean up my workspace now. And scrub down my tools so I can post pics without making half of the /SMC members want to avert their eyes in horror!

Roger Chandler
06-04-2011, 6:45 PM
David...........thanks for the graphic image warning :D I think John K. is more of a neat freak than I am.............I don't know what it is, but when I see a tool rusted .........well it almost pains me,........ well it does pain me, and it is not even my tools..........

I don't know how to explain it ..............but ...................

Oh...........nice additions to the Monster rig.........I have a sorby hollowmaster...........hummmn..........

Peter Fabricius
06-04-2011, 10:18 PM
David;
Very nice modifications with the smaller tool bars.
I repositioned the laser light to allow using the shorter bars, see picture.
Also, the small bushing was turned on a metal lathe and two holes drilled to allow the Monster set screws to go right in and lock on the smaller tool bar.
Note, that I drilled two additional set screw holes on top to the tool holder to allow orientation of the short extension bar in the holder and maintain the flat spots for orientation of the cutting tips. (this may not be necessary if you use round stock and file the flat spot on the side of the tool bar)
Very nicely done.
Peter F.

David DeCristoforo
06-04-2011, 10:52 PM
Well mine's a bit funkier than yours! I don't see any rust on yours either!

John Keeton
06-05-2011, 7:26 AM
Peter, thanks for the additional pics! Lots of neat modifications for those of us that have the Monster system - neat HF, too!! Very nice.

But, most importantly, I want to personally thank you for showing DD the proper manner in which one cares for one's Monster and for the ways on a lathe.:cool: It is so disturbing to realize that in today's world, one must keep their young children from being influenced by the graphic nature of photographs spread across the WWW.:eek: :eek: At the very least, DD has finally come to realize the importances of a disclaimer so we can protect our young from such horrible influences!!:rolleyes:;):D

We can only hope that you have been an opposing force in his life, and that he is beginning to realize the error in his "ways".:p

David DeCristoforo
06-05-2011, 10:08 AM
"...thank you for showing DD the proper manner in which one cares for,etc..."

Ahh. There is another one. A shop devoid if sawdust or any evidence that actual woodworking has take place. Gleaming, perfectly oiled and polished, spotless, like new. Not a scratch. Not a ding. Not so much as a speck of dust. And yet, somehow, magically, a turning appears out of this immaculate world. I'll bet you guys don't have any dust on your clothing either. Or glue spots on your pants. Or dye stains on your fingers.

This all makes me think of those old cowboy movies where the hero would ride the chase furiously, leaping off his horse at full gallop to take the villain down, have a twenty minute fistfight, rolling and tumbling in the dust and come out victorious, bearing not so much as a scratch, clothing still spotless and unwrinkled, hat not only still on his head but not even slightly crooked.

Scheech.....