PDA

View Full Version : Another one of those Gallery Things

John Hart
06-03-2011, 4:03 PM
Tomorrow is the big Antiques Festival in Chardon Ohio. And while that's what they officially call it, it has more to do with all the little shops around the square, setting up all their stuff and drinking and carrying on...You know the scenario. ;)

Anyway, today was the last day I could get pieces set up in the gallery before the big event, so I took the morning off from work to do it.

One major problem is that Keith Burn's package of his pieces had not yet arrived at my house. We were biting our nails waiting for the UPS truck. But he showed up at 10am, I packed up my beat up truck and headed out for Chardon.

Chardon is a pretty little 19th Century town, with a beautiful town square, complete with a park, and high-priced little buildings glued together in fancy rows. A movie house also serves live theater ("Wine, Cheese, and Theater" night is a big deal too) I think the Art Gallery serves the wine.

Anyway...Driving into Chardon, you are first met by the town square (all the fast food and malls and crap are on the outskirts of town)
Here I am driving and photographing. Gallery West is in there toward the left

Here's a close-up

You have to drive around the park. It's all one-way traffic, so you pretty much have to drive a mile to go 50 feet. But that's ok. It's a nice park.

Here's the Maple Syrup Log Cabin where the Maple Syrup Festival gets centralized

And, of course, the gazebo, where you can hold hands and kiss and stuff :eek:

Just a shot of the park and Main Street

I found a place to park and jaywalked over to the gallery, camera stuck to my face and took a shot as I walked up

It took a few trips, but I unpacked the boxes, tried to figure out which finial went to which hollow form. Sheesh....Keith packed all the finials separate. How am I supposed to know which one is which!!???:rolleyes: Trial and error...that's how. ;)

But after all was said and done...They decided to set Keith up in the front of the Gallery where there was plenty of light, and set me up in the back, where it's dark and scarey.

So, that's why my picture is yukky (I had to use a flash)

And why Keith's picture is nice

So that's it. We are the first woodturners to hit Chardon, Ohio, and they are very excited to see an art form like this. Everyone has marveled at the pieces. So I guess we'll see how it goes.:)

John Keeton
06-03-2011, 4:08 PM
Neat event, and a pretty town, John!! I hope you guys do well - some really nice pieces from both of you. BTW, you are getting an agent's commission from Burns, aren't you????

Steve Schlumpf
06-03-2011, 4:38 PM
Nice setup John! I hope you and Keith both do well tomorrow! Will you be there to sign autographs?

Tim Rinehart
06-03-2011, 4:42 PM
John,
I hope the primary autographs are on checks that convey to you guys!! Best of luck and have fun!

Tim Thiebaut
06-03-2011, 6:30 PM
Congrats to both of you for getting in the gallery, I hope you both do well!

Harry Robinette
06-03-2011, 6:49 PM
Great little gallery there, The LOML loves going to Chardon and walk around and shop, I sure hope you guys do good and I think you well.

Richard Madden
06-03-2011, 7:10 PM
Looks like a great opportunity for both of you. Good luck, hope you do well.

David E Keller
06-03-2011, 8:58 PM
Looks like a cool setup... Congrats on the show! I thought Vaughn was going to be part of this gig as well... Maybe I dreamt that... I'm not saying I dream about Vaughn or you or Keith... I definitely have not had dreams about you three in some kind of show.

Jim Burr
06-03-2011, 9:02 PM
I had a good comment...but the picture DK just portrayed has me shuddering! Nice job by both of ya!!

John Hart
06-03-2011, 9:14 PM
Thanks for all the encouragement my friends! It oughta be fun. It may not reap a dime, but it certainly a worthy journey.
Steve...I am expected to show up at the gallery some time tomorrow. I doubt seriously that there will be throngs of fans waiting as I step out of my limo, but I'll go and take a look around. Maybe take some more pictures. :)

Oh...on Vaughn. Yes, he's planning on being involved, but I did not receive his pieces in time for this particular event. There was not much time to prepare. But, this is a permanent gig, so there's plenty of time and plenty of shows on the horizon.

Jim...I agree. I'm thinking that we need Dr. Freud back to analyze these statements. ;)

Baxter Smith
06-03-2011, 9:18 PM
Thanks for the tour through town! Hope it goes well for both of you!

Roland Martin
06-03-2011, 9:31 PM
Best of luck to you, John. You both have great displays and sure you will do well. Thanks for sharing.

David DeCristoforo
06-03-2011, 9:41 PM
Your stuff looks great grouped together in the gallery like that. That other guy's stuff don't look too bad either. Hope you both sell it all.

Cathy Schaewe
06-03-2011, 9:44 PM
Looks like a cool setup... Congrats on the show! I thought Vaughn was going to be part of this gig as well... Maybe I dreamt that... I'm not saying I dream about Vaughn or you or Keith... I definitely have not had dreams about you three in some kind of show.

ok, that's the most entertainment I've had in days .....

Cathy Schaewe
06-03-2011, 9:45 PM
But seriously, nice pieces, wonderful experience - wish I could come see the stuff in person!