PDA

View Full Version : How wide of boards in a table top?

Bryan Cramer
06-03-2011, 12:47 PM
I am making an oak end table. Its top is going to be 15 X 24" and 1" thick. I was thinking of three 5" wide boards. Even if I alternate the end grain rings (I will use flat sawn boards) will warping be a problem with the wide boards?

Thanks

Scott T Smith
06-03-2011, 12:55 PM
I am making an oak end table. Its top is going to be 15 X 24" and 1" thick. I was thinking of three 5" wide boards. Even if I alternate the end grain rings (I will use flat sawn boards) will warping be a problem with the wide boards?

Thanks

Bryan, here is a recent thread on a similar topic. Lots of good info within it.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?166099-Wide-or-narrow-boards-for-large-oak-glue-up

Bryan Cramer
06-03-2011, 1:16 PM
Thanks Scott! That was exactly what I was looking for. I think my idea of 5" wide boards will work fine. The reason why I want 5" wide boards is they divide evenly into the with I want and my dealer normally has rough oak boards between 6-7" wide.

Jerome Hanby
06-03-2011, 1:18 PM
Probably the same reasoning behind all the old furniture!

Chris Padilla
06-03-2011, 1:33 PM
If the boards are properly dried/seasoned, they should stay flat. I do not alternate growth rings on purpose. I sort for color-matching and best face period.

Go for quartersawn if you're really worried but frankly, I never liked quartersawn oak's ray flecks.

Frank Drew
06-03-2011, 1:49 PM
Probably the same reasoning behind all the old furniture!

Jerome,

I'm not sure to which comment you're responding.... what same reasoning behind all the old furniture?

Frank Guerin
06-03-2011, 6:19 PM
Unless I am trying to replicate an antique anything goes today. I was fortunate to look at a table that was way to long and wide for anything but the big house it went in (BIG BUCKS) I could see useful in my life I would build to accompany the wood. Old growth its self is worth protecting.