PDA

View Full Version : white Cermark

Mike Null
06-03-2011, 11:51 AM
I just recieved my samples of white and copper Cermark from Steve Rozwood.

This must be thinned with water--not dna.

I just finished a job this morning using the white. The item is a forged farrier's hammer. My customer is the blacksmith and this will be presented as a gift to a speaker later in the month.

The hammer finish is fresh out of the fire--no other coating.

I used my regular Cermark settings and was quite pleased with the result. There were a couple of blemishes on the hammer head so don't read that as a Cermark issue or bad art.

Gary Noble 6363
06-03-2011, 1:30 PM
Looks good Mike,

What are your typical settings when using using Cermark?

I use the spray can version using a 60w laser with various results, I find it difficult to get the same results every time.

Any tips you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Gary

Gary Hair
06-03-2011, 1:59 PM
I use the spray can version using a 60w laser with various results, I find it difficult to get the same results every time.

Stop using the spray can and buy bulk and airbrush it on. The can puts it on too thick and you are doing two things - getting inconsistent results and throwing away money. There are numerous threads on how to thin and apply the bulk so I won't repeat the info here. Do a search for Cermark and you should find everything you need to know.

Gary

Mike Null
06-03-2011, 5:14 PM
I agree with Gary. The spray can is a waste of money.

In the case of the white stuff, this is my first attempt and I think I may have thinned a little more than I should have. Since I had so little (a sample bottle) I used a foam brush for application.
I think the white must be a bit thicker than the black.

Just doing a search for Cermark will bring up several threads.

Charity Newland
06-07-2011, 7:25 AM
Mike,
Could you pass along Steve's contact info. I haven't ever used Cermark but love to try it.
Thanks,
Charity

Mike Null
06-07-2011, 7:30 AM
His phone is (724) 223-5990

Gary Noble 6363
06-07-2011, 8:34 AM
Hi Charity,

Being new to Cermark as I am myself I am sure you will finds Steve's knowledge and help invaluable.

I contacted him myself a couple of days ago and his reaction times and knowledge are fantastic, I can highly recommend him.

Thanks

Gary

Richard Rumancik
06-07-2011, 10:04 AM
Mike, I can't find the white Cermark on the Ferro website. Is it a new product? Is there any technical info on it on the website? For what substrates is it designed?

Mike Null
06-07-2011, 10:40 AM
Richard

It and the copper are fairly new products and they are for metals. Both are thinned with water not dna.

With the white (I have not tried the copper yet) there seems to be less pigment in suspension hence my guess that a thicker coat will produce better results. Note--that is a guess I need to do more work with it. It might be more accurate to say that I'm not as satisfied with a thin coat as I am with a thin coat of the black version.

I have had numerous times when this material would have allowed me to take a job that I turned down or processed in another way. I'm hoping it performs well.

Ferro will have a booth at the Indianapolis show this week so I'll spend a little time with them to see what I can glean.

Steve Rozwood
06-08-2011, 3:52 PM
Mike, that really look nice! The white stands out nicely against the darker metal. It’s hard for us to do much testing on various metals while trying to develop new products and it’s always nice to get the types of applications the product you help develop gets used on. I hope you customer enjoys the hammer.
A little side note: Dave Smith and Sean Weir will be at the booth in Indianapolis Show where one new product will be displayed.
Thanks Gary for the compliments! That makes me feel good at least one person can understand my ramblings. Sometimes I envision people staring blankly on the other end of the phone while I go off on a tangent about power grids and film thickness non-sense, like my wife when I tell her what I do for a living.
I hope to help everyone out as best as I can in the future. I am sorry if it may seem that it’s taking me awhile to respond to everyone’s e-mails, we been really busy with a few new product developments and my time on SawMill has been a little limited.
Richard, I know we haven't updated our website recently. Please send me an e-mail and I will get you the information on the new products.

I hope to help everyone out in the future. If you have any questions please let me know and I will do my best to get to everyone’s as fast as I can.